U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 11:23 AM

205 posts, read 96,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Anything but Herseys brands, since they have been making the worst chocolate you can buy. There are so many good chocolates out there as long as it's 100% cocoa but Hersey's been making chocolates with the least amount of cocoa. Even Mars brand like Snickers and M&M have terrible cocoa quality and content.

Even IKEA's own chocolate bars are much better than mass brands like Herseys, Nestle, and Mars.
Totally agree on Hershey's. Rancid tasting chocolate.

European chocolates absolutely "wipe the floor" compared to most American chocolates. Of course, most of us don't eat on the floor -- at least not in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 12:08 PM

19,900 posts, read 13,094,355 times
Iím talking chocolate bars here. Chocolove. I buy dark chocolate bars on special at Whole Foods, and when desparate at Walgreens. Iíve tried many brands. I donít like Lindt all that much because of its waxy texture. Ghirardelli is not bad, especially their packaged squares, which are nicely sweet and smooth. Divine is another brand that I have decided isnít that great. Lily which is sweetened with stevia just tastes wrong,

So far, Chocolove suits me. The texture is divinely smooth and even the darker sorts taste sweet enough. Chocolove makes a number of milk and dark chocolates, so I can choose my favorite among many possibilities.

I used to love Hersheys Extra Dark, but once I moved on, I havenít looked back. There are many chocolates to choose from now. There is one that is right for each person. Chocolove is my choice.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:41 PM

55,603 posts, read 39,274,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I absolutely LOVED the Lindt chocolate with peanut butter centers. They stopped making them and I am heartbroken! I do also love their other chocolate bars, but nothing compares to those peanut truffle ones. Another great brand of chocolate is Teuscher. Probably the best ever.

The nice thing about Lindt is it's readily available.

Years ago I had a friend working in the food business, their little warehouse had a climate-controlled 'chocolate' room I'd guess to have been ~ 20' X 30", walking in and inhaling deeply was a treat. They sold what are known as 'coins', an easily meltable shape, mainly used by pastry chefs. It was interesting walking down the aisle sampling various coins having different levels of cacao content. Tasting them side by side it was very noticeable how the flavor would hit in different parts of your mouth, from up front to the back of your throat.

There are no doubt a number of -trade-only- brands us mere civilians will never get to sample other than in finished products. To me that's the attraction of Lindt, very good quality available in many places. World Market sells some chocolate bars under their own label I think are pretty good too.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:53 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,498,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The nice thing about Lindt is it's readily available.

Years ago I had a friend working in the food business, their little warehouse had a climate-controlled 'chocolate' room I'd guess to have been ~ 20' X 30", walking in and inhaling deeply was a treat. They sold what are known as 'coins', an easily meltable shape, mainly used by pastry chefs. It was interesting walking down the aisle sampling various coins having different levels of cacao content. Tasting them side by side it was very noticeable how the flavor would hit in different parts of your mouth, from up front to the back of your throat.

There are no doubt a number of -trade-only- brands us mere civilians will never get to sample other than in finished products. To me that's the attraction of Lindt, very good quality available in many places. World Market sells some chocolate bars under their own label I think are pretty good too.
Yes, Lindt is readily available, but as I said, they stopped making my favorite - the ones with the peanut butter centers. I do also enjoy their other flavors, but I miss those favorites of mine so much. If I'd only known that they were going to stop making them, I would have stocked up and frozen as many of them as I could. Another poster said that they thought the Lindt chocolate tasted waxy! Just goes to show how different people have different tastes. I've never thought of Lindt as waxy in any way, but I have had other chocolates that tasted waxy to me - can't remember which ones, though.

I've never tried the World Market chocolates, but I appreciate you mentioning them and I will definitely make a point of trying them. I love World Market!

Those coins and that whole experience sounds wonderful! Lucky you!

Old 10-23-2018, 03:06 PM

981 posts, read 241,728 times
Cadburys, Ghiradelli, Ritter Sport (marzipan). If its truffles, then Maison du Chocolat.

I can't bring myself to eat hersheys - that butyric acid odor - ugh

Old 10-23-2018, 03:24 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,379,420 times
We were spoiled living in Switzerland and working in Germany. I don't really have a grocery store fav in the US. As dark and rich as possible.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:30 PM

119,288 posts, read 13,861,458 times
Ritter Sport hazelnut chocolate,SprŁngli,Milka and Suchard milk chocolate.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:17 PM

861 posts, read 193,554 times
I haven't found it yet, but the search is sure enjoyable!

Old 10-23-2018, 04:18 PM

20,567 posts, read 28,965,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think alot of Americans like you are used to partial cocoa and milk with additional sugar from caramel. Because real chocolate with over 50% cocoa taste bitter sour and many folks don't like the raw taste of cocoa.
That's kind of a big assumption as I like and appreciate dark chocolate too. In fact Mr Goodbar has a dark chocolate base, although not in the 50%-60% range. Europeans tend to like many things more bitter (see liqueurs like Pimms Cup or Campari and Espresso), and while chocolate is considered "European" it was actually originated in Central America where it was sweetened with vanilla or honey and had spices added to counteract the bitterness.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:40 PM

6,283 posts, read 7,557,168 times
Wilbur Buds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink