U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 06:07 PM

626 posts, read 216,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
For cooking/baking I'd go with Valrhona.
Valrhona cocoa powder is amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 10:00 PM

6,552 posts, read 2,303,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Hershey is a miracle of industrial engineering to reduce food cost. Theyíve managed to train an entire country that a confection made without coca butter is chocolate. If you blind taste test in the US, most people will pick Hershey because itís what theyíre used to.

Personally, I like Reeseís Cups even with the faux chocolate.

The only chocolate thing I eat with any regularity is brownies and they have to be the gooey butter, chocolate, egg, sugar, vanilla, flour kind. I usually use the Bakers Chocolate recipe with Godiva chocolate. Cake-style brownie from a box isnít a favorite. I canít remember the last time I had a good chocolate bar. My girlfriend occasionally buys the one bite chocolate in the Whole Foods checkout line. Thatís good but I never paid attention to the brand or ingredients.
They accomplished an amazing feat to have the whole country think that a Hershey bar was actual chocolate. I never liked that chocolate bar, I tried so much to like it because everyone was always saying it was old school chocolate, and they seemed to enjoy it. I like Nestle Crunch bar, the Almond Coconut bar, and yes, the Reese's Cups are good, too - none of them have butyric acid flavor.

Brownies are delicious - yes, moist and some parts gooey with a very good chocolate flavor. I don't like the box mixes either, something artificial about them and you can taste it in the cooked box brownies. Hershey does make a good chocolate baking powder or you chop up pieces of chocolate to make the brownies from scratch.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:12 AM

13,151 posts, read 21,416,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Hershey is a miracle of industrial engineering to reduce food cost. Theyíve managed to train an entire country that a confection made without coca butter is chocolate. If you blind taste test in the US, most people will pick Hershey because itís what theyíre used to.

Personally, I like Reeseís Cups even with the faux chocolate.

The only chocolate thing I eat with any regularity is brownies and they have to be the gooey butter, chocolate, egg, sugar, vanilla, flour kind. I usually use the Bakers Chocolate recipe with Godiva chocolate. Cake-style brownie from a box isnít a favorite. I canít remember the last time I had a good chocolate bar. My girlfriend occasionally buys the one bite chocolate in the Whole Foods checkout line. Thatís good but I never paid attention to the brand or ingredients.
AFAIK, Hershey's still has (less) cocoa butter, it's the PGPR they introduced to the formula that cuts costs (and quality). The same PGPR they added to Reese's PB Cups, which were once a childhood favorite but now tastes and feels like something very different. Palmer's fake 'chocolatey' confections were bad enough waxy brown junk, but now many of the traditional American chocolates have sunk to an all time low with this crappy emulsifier.

Reminds me of how they destroyed the quality and reputation of Breyer's ice cream, once Unilever bought them out and started re-tooling the recipes to include crap like tara gum and fillers.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 AM

1,925 posts, read 2,490,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
You don't need to monitor this entire thread, not your job. Secondly, more than one person can comment on what chocolate they like. Many people have noted similar chocolate types they like, if you indeed are keeping a tally you would know that. What' s your problem?
I can and will make any comment I want to make.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:28 PM

626 posts, read 216,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post

Brownies are delicious - yes, moist and some parts gooey with a very good chocolate flavor. I don't like the box mixes either, something artificial about them and you can taste it in the cooked box brownies.
Brownies made from mixes have a chemical taste to me. I cannot eat them. I never noticed it until I changed to a whole food and low carb diet.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:11 PM

9,260 posts, read 12,145,962 times
Butyric acid. I promise you that is NOT the gross part of the vomit. That acid actually covers up the true grossness which is found in the various partially digested foods.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:53 PM

10,374 posts, read 6,566,789 times
At the lowest end I think are the dollar store foil-wrapped trash chocolate like your Palmer's and its ilk. Only slightly better are Nestle's and Whitman's (the junk of the "box of chocolate" world.) I don't like M&Ms at all anymore. I can tolerate a wee bit of Hershey bar if it's melted with a marshmallow and graham cracker but otherwise I'd pass. I will eat a Milky Way or Twix, but that's more about the caramel than the chocolate.

I put Lindt and Ghiradelli on about the same level, personally. Selection (at least here) is limited to some few standard things with the occasional seasonal flavor thrown in. Some few varieties now and then, I have liked, but I can take it or leave it. Though I do like Ghiradelli's hot cocoa. It is less sugary somehow.

I don't like dark chocolate very much. I'm one of those people with very little tolerance for really bitter things. I put creamer in my coffee and I loathe alcohol. There's some kind of a whole...thing...some specific genetically determined intolerance, that explains all that, but I don't feel like finding it right now.

But even with my anti-dark and anti-bitter preferences in chocolate, there are going to be exceptions in the Godiva box depending on the filling probably. If it's too intense I might still not want it, but some are to my taste. And let it be noted I am NOT talking about the Godiva you can find at the grocery store, yes I know they've diversified and made a cheaper variety that they can sell out of Target, that isn't what I mean at all. I mean the good old gold box, and the newer truffle assortments and such. Out of Godiva's better assortments, I love the fruit fillings best. My favorite piece of all is the strawberry cheesecake "dessert chocolate" which is a half-round layered medallion with some kind of a cheesecakey flavored white cream stuff and a layer of strawberry puree fruit filling. Heaven!

There were some years where the wheel of fortune had turned my way and things were good, and I ordered a lot of Godiva. I had it sent as gifts to people a lot. I'm in the rewards program, and they actually invited me to a thing they were doing, which was invite only, where you filled out surveys, sharing your opinion of products they were considering and fine-tuning to bring to market, and you would earn points for participation in the surveys and the forums there, and get free chocolate. Helping Godiva develop product and getting paid in chocolate? Yes, please!

Old 11-15-2018, 02:10 PM

3,021 posts, read 1,616,560 times
Endangered species extreme dark.

Won't even eat milk chocolate anymore. No longer appreciate the taste and it's too sweet.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:43 PM

8,024 posts, read 10,348,325 times
Just tried LaCasa (Spain) chocolate bar, 70 %. Was more chocolaty than most US chocolates. Someone mentioned in Europe they don't put fillers in (that can taste kind of waxy). I could notice the difference.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:16 PM

7,734 posts, read 8,183,085 times
Has anyone ever had Lake Champlain chocolate? I've only had their hot chocolate powder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink