U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 08:10 PM

51,696 posts, read 12,700,010 times

Advertisements

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Mounds.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 08:41 PM

20,360 posts, read 15,747,012 times
Nestlé Crunch bar
3 Musketeer's
Peppermint Patties
Almond Joy
Hershey's Milk Chocolate bar

Old 05-10-2014, 10:47 PM

8,388 posts, read 5,098,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
All I'm saying is that it's a shame that you have to settle for substandard chocolate. You don't know what you're missing.

In March 2007, the Chocolate Manufacturers Association, whose members include Hershey's, Nestlé, and Archer Daniels Midland, began lobbying the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to change the legal definition of chocolate to allow the substitution of "safe and suitable vegetable fats and oils" (including partially hydrogenated vegetable oils) for cocoa butter in addition to using "any sweetening agent" (including artificial sweeteners) and milk substitutes. Currently, the FDA does not allow a product to be referred to as "chocolate" if the product contains any of these ingredients. To work around this restriction, products with cocoa substitutes are often branded or labeled as "chocolatey" or as in the case of Hershey's Mr. Goodbar containing vegetable oils, "made with chocolate".

Canada
The use of cocoa butter substitutes in Canada is not permitted. Chocolate sold in Canada cannot contain vegetable fats or oils.
The only sweetening agents permitted in chocolate in Canada are listed in Division 18 of the Food and Drug Regulations. Artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, and sugar alcohols (sorbitol, maltitol, etc.) are not permitted.
Products manufactured or imported into Canada that contain non-permitted ingredients (vegetable fats or oils, artificial sweeteners) cannot legally be called “chocolate” when sold in Canada. A non-standardized name such as “candy” must be used.

Types of chocolate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Consumers have a choice in America of so many brands, shapes, tastes, levels of quality. I am not sure why everyone always feels sorry for us because we don't have this or that chocolate. Couldn't it be that we just LIKE what we purchase? I am sure you enjoy what you have more. But if we wanted it, I think we (many of us would buy it).

Aren't there people in Canada who do buy "Choclatey" Chocolate?

Old 05-11-2014, 12:30 PM

33,233 posts, read 39,381,789 times
One of my old favorites was the tube of Rolos

http://www.candygurus.com/wp-content/uploads/rolo-feat.j

Very hard to resist not eating them all at once

Old 05-11-2014, 12:41 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,095,923 times
My favorite is Snickers bars followed by, and I know it's technically not considered candy, Cap n' Crunch.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:46 PM

31,390 posts, read 57,623,106 times
The one that's in my hand.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:08 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,234,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
...Europe has a black sheep named the UK. UK's chocolate can include a lot of stuff that other European countries would say are no good...
First of all, please explain how the UK is the "black sheep" of Europe. Second of all, merely stating something does not make it true - please give some actual examples of what "stuff" the UK includes in their chocolate that "other European countries would say are no good."

Old 05-11-2014, 05:17 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,232,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
First of all, please explain how the UK is the "black sheep" of Europe. Second of all, merely stating something does not make it true - please give some actual examples of what "stuff" the UK includes in their chocolate that "other European countries would say are no good."
As far as black sheep, I only meant regarding chocolate. I read something a few years ago comparing UK chocolate with some other European countries', and ingredients allowed and still being able to call it milk chocolate. I can't find any reference to it now, so I'll have to leave it unsubstantiated.

As far as opinions go, I think you can find some pretty damn bad "chocolate" in the USA, much worse than any I've had from the UK. But you can find really good stuff here too.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:33 AM

16,251 posts, read 25,578,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Was in the USA recently and the wife wanted me to buy her favorite chocolate bar, unfortunately i couldnt find it
Mars Bar looks like this =http://www.confectionerynews.com/var...strict_xxl.jpg

Used to like em myself till i got diabetes and now have to forgo the pleasure..

Got to thinking what are other peoples favorite chocolate bars and what do they look like?
Jambo, I'm not sure why you were looking in the States for a Mars bar. They have them everywhere here in Montreal. I was at IGA this morning and it was right there at the register. Get ye to your local IGA and make your wife a happy lady.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 AM

118,863 posts, read 13,714,351 times
I like Ritter Sport and After Eight and Ferrero chocolates...my greatest weaknesses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink