Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 05:54 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,542,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Hershey's tastes like lard mixed with cocoa powder.
If you were to try to sell some American chocolate in Europe or Canada, it would have to be labelled 'Chocolate-flavoured candy". There's not really enough actual chocolate in it to be called chocolate.
I agree, I'm not a fan of Hershey's for the most part. But their plain chocolate bar sure is good in smores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 05:57 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,291,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I agree, I'm not a fan of Hershey's for the most part. But their plain chocolate bar sure is good in smores.
Hershey's is to chocolate like spray cheese is to a lovely runny brie.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Hershey's is to chocolate like spray cheese is to a lovely runny brie.

I Fart In Your General Direction! - YouTube

Old 05-10-2014, 06:12 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,131,848 times
Quote:
If you were to try to sell some American chocolate in Europe or Canada, it would have to be labelled 'Chocolate-flavoured candy". There's not really enough actual chocolate in it to be called chocolate.
Who cares what Europe thinks about American chocolate? Sales figures show that American like it - a lot.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:25 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,590,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Anything with marshmallow. I had a serious love affair with those chocolate covered marshmallow bunnies and eggs. Now they're gone and I'm in serious with drawl. I can't eat, I can't sleep, it's serious.
Yes, that's the way I am about those hollow chocolate bunnies. Easter is over and I am sad there are no more bunny ears to eat.

Quote:
Yum. I'm a big fan of cheap chocolate. Hershey's with Almonds are my go-to bar. Followed by Mounds Bar. However I did just discover these at the grocery store.

godiva molten lava cake truffles - Google Search

Curse you, Godiva!

Old 05-10-2014, 06:26 PM

993 posts, read 1,556,759 times
I eat Lindt 86% dark chocolate every Friday through Sunday. Just finished my squares for the night!

Hershey has a horrible waxy texture, but I guess a person wouldn't recognize that if Hershey's all they've eaten. Godiva isn't the worst, and Ghiradelli's not bad. But Lindt is far and away the most superior brand (of the brands that you can find in any US grocery store).

Old 05-10-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Who cares what Europe thinks about American chocolate? Sales figures show that American like it - a lot.
All I'm saying is that it's a shame that you have to settle for substandard chocolate. You don't know what you're missing.

In March 2007, the Chocolate Manufacturers Association, whose members include Hershey's, Nestlé, and Archer Daniels Midland, began lobbying the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to change the legal definition of chocolate to allow the substitution of "safe and suitable vegetable fats and oils" (including partially hydrogenated vegetable oils) for cocoa butter in addition to using "any sweetening agent" (including artificial sweeteners) and milk substitutes. Currently, the FDA does not allow a product to be referred to as "chocolate" if the product contains any of these ingredients. To work around this restriction, products with cocoa substitutes are often branded or labeled as "chocolatey" or as in the case of Hershey's Mr. Goodbar containing vegetable oils, "made with chocolate".

Canada
The use of cocoa butter substitutes in Canada is not permitted. Chocolate sold in Canada cannot contain vegetable fats or oils.
The only sweetening agents permitted in chocolate in Canada are listed in Division 18 of the Food and Drug Regulations. Artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, and sugar alcohols (sorbitol, maltitol, etc.) are not permitted.
Products manufactured or imported into Canada that contain non-permitted ingredients (vegetable fats or oils, artificial sweeteners) cannot legally be called “chocolate” when sold in Canada. A non-standardized name such as “candy” must be used.

Types of chocolate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-10-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
All I'm saying is that it's a shame that you have to settle for substandard chocolate. You don't know what you're missing.

In March 2007, the Chocolate Manufacturers Association, whose members include Hershey's, Nestlé, and Archer Daniels Midland, began lobbying the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to change the legal definition of chocolate to allow the substitution of "safe and suitable vegetable fats and oils" (including partially hydrogenated vegetable oils) for cocoa butter in addition to using "any sweetening agent" (including artificial sweeteners) and milk substitutes. Currently, the FDA does not allow a product to be referred to as "chocolate" if the product contains any of these ingredients. To work around this restriction, products with cocoa substitutes are often branded or labeled as "chocolatey" or as in the case of Hershey's Mr. Goodbar containing vegetable oils, "made with chocolate".

Canada
The use of cocoa butter substitutes in Canada is not permitted. Chocolate sold in Canada cannot contain vegetable fats or oils.
The only sweetening agents permitted in chocolate in Canada are listed in Division 18 of the Food and Drug Regulations. Artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, and sugar alcohols (sorbitol, maltitol, etc.) are not permitted.
Products manufactured or imported into Canada that contain non-permitted ingredients (vegetable fats or oils, artificial sweeteners) cannot legally be called “chocolate” when sold in Canada. A non-standardized name such as “candy” must be used.

Types of chocolate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am with you. There is a big difference!

Europe has a black sheep named the UK. UK's chocolate can include a lot of stuff that other European countries would say are no good.

For American chocolate, I still like Almond Joy. There's not a lot of it that's chocolate, but the candy bar is great.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I am with you. There is a big difference!

Europe has a black sheep named the UK. UK's chocolate can include a lot of stuff that other European countries would say are no good.

For American chocolate, I still like Almond Joy. There's not a lot of it that's chocolate, but the candy bar is great.
Is that the one with the coconut in it? I like coconut.

I have a big bag of Hershey's Kisses at home that nobody will eat. My son says it tastes like wax with sugar in it. I'd give it to the raccoons, but I'm afraid it could kill them, like chocolate being poison to dogs.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:01 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,500,918 times
My favorite candy bars are Almond Joy (or Mounds) and Baby Ruth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink