Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2018, 04:38 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
What's your favorite brand of chocolate bar? Can be milk, dark or other. What is the main taste difference between brands?
Dove dark chocolate and a cup of coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 10:03 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
World Market has some chocolate from different places around the world. It's kind of nice to browse around in there, which I did recently.
Do you not read all the posts in your own thread? There are several posts discussing the chocolate at World Market.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:31 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Godiva or Ghirardelli -- dark

Old 11-11-2018, 08:43 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's butyric acid.
Yes, Parmesan in containers tastes like vomit, cilantro tastes like soap, and nobody knows what I'm talking about.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:06 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
no, i was saying that it was made by Hershey, not a Hershey bar (which is nasty)
I don't understand the negative opinions of Hershey's chocolate bar. I always liked them over Nestlé' which is a bit sweeter or less chocolaty. I see Hershey's as a tad closer to dark chocolate then most others. I can still like all chocolate though too .....

Old 11-12-2018, 04:28 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Do you not read all the posts in your own thread? There are several posts discussing the chocolate at World Market.
You don't need to monitor this entire thread, not your job. Secondly, more than one person can comment on what chocolate they like. Many people have noted similar chocolate types they like, if you indeed are keeping a tally you would know that. What' s your problem?

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 11-12-2018 at 04:44 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 12:03 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
no, i was saying that it was made by Hershey, not a Hershey bar (which is nasty)
I totally agree that the classic Hershey is nasty. I have given it a second, third, and fourth chance, still awful, but a lot of people say it's really tasty, then I wonder what is wrong with me, all I could taste was the butyric acid.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:58 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I totally agree that the classic Hershey is nasty. I have given it a second, third, and fourth chance, still awful, but a lot of people say it's really tasty, then I wonder what is wrong with me, all I could taste was the butyric acid.
Hershey is a miracle of industrial engineering to reduce food cost. They’ve managed to train an entire country that a confection made without coca butter is chocolate. If you blind taste test in the US, most people will pick Hershey because it’s what they’re used to.

Personally, I like Reese’s Cups even with the faux chocolate.

The only chocolate thing I eat with any regularity is brownies and they have to be the gooey butter, chocolate, egg, sugar, vanilla, flour kind. I usually use the Bakers Chocolate recipe with Godiva chocolate. Cake-style brownie from a box isn’t a favorite. I can’t remember the last time I had a good chocolate bar. My girlfriend occasionally buys the one bite chocolate in the Whole Foods checkout line. That’s good but I never paid attention to the brand or ingredients.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:54 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,122,240 times
I do not eat sweets very often, but I love chocolate. Callebaut is my favorite brand of chocolate.

I use it for homemade chocolate covered double-stuffed oreos, chocolate covered strawberries, almond bark, chocolate chip cookies, and brownies.

Pure heaven.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:33 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I can be a bit of a midrange chocolate snob and don't really do chocolate bars.
I prefer chocolate confections from: Jacques Torres, Li-Lac, Vosges Haut Chocolat, La Maison du Chocolat, Teuscher's Chocolat, and Petrossian. They're all in NYC. Went to all of them during one visit and they ruined me for grocery/drug store chocolate. (Most major cities have excellent chocolatiers, I've just only been to a few in NYC.)

That said, when I'm not in NYC and I get a chocolate jones...if I'm at a mall I go for Godiva. At the grocery or drug store perhaps I'd choose Toblerone or Dove. Ghiardelli is OK, I guess.

If it's ordinary chocolate candy then I go for Peanut or almond M&Ms, Snickers, Baby Ruth, or Butterfinger. But that hasn't happened in a decade. For cooking/baking I'd go with Valrhona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink