Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 06:48 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,298,163 times

Advertisements

I am a man with a problem. I love good smoked meats, the type which takes hours to make using smoke and indirect heat you can only get from a traditional side box mounted smoker, but my girlfriend wants to get a propane powered grill for sake of convenience. I would love to get a specialty smoker BBQ and a separate propane powered grill but the truth is the backyard in our condo isn't that large and we really only have room for one or the other so I'm hoping to find a combo grill/smoker which would allow us to do both. That way when we want to just grill something fast using propane we can but if I'm feeling ambitious I can do a nice 10-12 hour traditional smoke out but try as I might I can't seem to find a decently priced smoker/grill combo. It's all either one or the other (smoker with no propane option or propane with no side along smoke box).

Does anyone know of a decently priced combo which can make us both happy?

Sign,

Smokeless in San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 06:55 PM

Oh, additional info which will no doubt make the search even more difficult. My girlfriend seems enamored with the "new look" stainless steel grills (both times we've gone looking at grills/BBQs she emphasizes how much nicer the stainless steel models look, hint, hint...) so even though I like the traditional black barrel smokers with the side mounted smoke box it appears it will have to be something in stainless steel. Anyone know a stainless steel grill/BBQ with a side mounted smoke box or is this mission impossible?

Old 09-12-2010, 09:34 PM

Amazon.com: Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I did find that thing which isn't exactly ideal since it has both a gas grill and a smoker (if you buy the optional side smoke box) but that's essentially two grills instead of an all in one combo plus it is black and the the stainless steel the girlfriend seems to like.

One the upside Lowe's is saying they'll sell it for $299 with the side smoker and a cover. I'm hoping for a better option though.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:02 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,392,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Amazon.com: Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I did find that thing which isn't exactly ideal since it has both a gas grill and a smoker (if you buy the optional side smoke box) but that's essentially two grills instead of an all in one combo plus it is black and the the stainless steel the girlfriend seems to like.

One the upside Lowe's is saying they'll sell it for $299 with the side smoker and a cover. I'm hoping for a better option though.
I bought that model on Amazon for my son, the gourmet smoker. It was not adequate, but he modified it extensively and gave it to his little brother who likes it pretty well. It has a lot of ballast added and more temperature controls, etc.

But, as I learned from the experience, you really need a lot more in a smoker than what can be offered in a side smoker. Bite the bullet and make yourself a real smoker with a separate fire box, a hundred pounds of firebrick in it, baffles and some serious electronics. You won't regret it.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,544,206 times
You'll need both hot and cold smoke. There are plans on the internet for using an old refrigerator. It's easier to have two separate smokers since you might have a supply of venison as well as some big lake trout at the same time. If you're not handy, ask around. Someone will do the job for you for a few dollars.

Gtills come in all sorts of configurations.

If Girlfriend insists on stainless steel for the reefers, get some silver spray paint. But stainless steel refrigerators have been around long enough that there should be some junkers. You might end up with a setup that everyone in the condo crew will envy.

The whole shebang shouldn't take up more than three by nine feet or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink