Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 01:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,537,102 times

Advertisements

This is something that's always bothered me. Let's say you have 1000 gallons of orange juice, and you concentrate it, and when you're done you have 250 gallons of concentrate...for transportation purposes.

You ship it to the next processing plant, and you add back in 750 gallons of filtered water. They mark the result 25% juice.

water came out, water's going back in, it's 100% juice! Now, if they give you things like artificial colors or sweeteners in that mix, it's a different story, but juice from concentrate doesn't count as the amount of total juice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 03:07 PM

44,280 posts, read 19,943,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
This is something that's always bothered me. Let's say you have 1000 gallons of orange juice, and you concentrate it, and when you're done you have 250 gallons of concentrate...for transportation purposes.

You ship it to the next processing plant, and you add back in 750 gallons of filtered water. They mark the result 25% juice.

water came out, water's going back in, it's 100% juice! Now, if they give you things like artificial colors or sweeteners in that mix, it's a different story, but juice from concentrate doesn't count as the amount of total juice.
I've never noticed that reconstituted juice is labeled 25% juice. Are you sure about that? I agree with you - if it was reconstituted with the same amount of water which it originally contained, then it is 100% juice. I always thought that if it was labeled as being less than 100% juice, it contained filler liquid such as soda, or additives such as sugar, coloring, etc., or perhaps more water than it originally had in its pure form. I don't purchase juice very often, but now you've got me curious, and I'm going to read some labels.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:01 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,723,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj8 View Post
i've never noticed that reconstituted juice is labeled 25% juice. Are you sure about that? I agree with you - if it was reconstituted with the same amount of water which it originally contained, then it is 100% juice. I always thought that if it was labeled as being less than 100% juice, it contained filler liquid such as soda, or additives such as sugar, coloring, etc., or perhaps more water than it originally had in its pure form. I don't purchase juice very often, but now you've got me curious, and i'm going to read some labels.
^^^
+1

Old 09-16-2010, 09:04 PM

61,256 posts, read 86,144,940 times
Hmmmmm... interesting.
I noticed that if is not 100% juice, it is called a beverage that contain X% of juice, or cocktail, nectar, fruit juice drink or similar.
Fruit juice (or pure juice) is a beverage that contain 100% juice. ( from concentrate or not).
This is the legal name for it. However I always check the % of juice anyway.
A 100% juice product also may contain added vitamins or minerals, such as Vitamin C, that do not dilute the juice.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:56 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,537,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I've never noticed that reconstituted juice is labeled 25% juice. Are you sure about that? I agree with you - if it was reconstituted with the same amount of water which it originally contained, then it is 100% juice. I always thought that if it was labeled as being less than 100% juice, it contained filler liquid such as soda, or additives such as sugar, coloring, etc., or perhaps more water than it originally had in its pure form. I don't purchase juice very often, but now you've got me curious, and I'm going to read some labels.

I was just using the number to explain what I was seeing, with the figures that I gave. I'm not sure how far down they can concentrate it, but I usually see a figure down around 10%.

If it's juice from concentrate, and filtered water, as the primary ingredients, then it's a lot higher than 10%. The concentrate may comprise only 10% of the total volume, but it's concentrated! Even if they add artificial color and flavor, or preservatives, they may comprise at most ten percent of the volume altogether--if that. After all, I'm pretty sure that water is all they remove when they make it in a concentrated form. So adding water back to a concentrate should give a much higher volume of juice than a mere 10%.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:12 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,373,158 times
I love me some Welch's 100% juice, not from concentrate, and I avoid juices that say cocktail as they are not 100% juice. Just my person preference.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:23 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,331,737 times
I thought reconstituted juice was labeled 100%?

I seem to recall reading "100% juice from concentrate" on many a label.

But I could be wrong...I'll be looking at the juice next time I pour, too ;-)

Old 09-17-2010, 11:02 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,655,442 times
It can legally be called 100% Pure Juice if the only alteration is X amount of water out and the same amount of water back in.

What really annoys me is when the Cranberry juice people put in big letters "Cranberry" and "100% juice", and in fine print you find out that it mostly Grape or Apple. I always have to carry a magnifying glass with me, and read the fine print list of ingredients, printed in medium red font on dark red background, in a poorly-lit aisle of the store, to see if what I'm getting is only cranberry, without any other cheaper juices mixed in.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:23 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,448,954 times
My mom knows someone who used to work for a beverage company that made juice. He mentioned to her one day that he no longer feels comfortable drinking juice as it is mixed with so much water. Many companies have factories in China where strict rules on water quality doesn't exist and therefore the quality of water in juice is extremely poor. I'm not a juice drinker at all (except for the occasional POG, which is made locally) but that is some food for thought.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:59 AM

61,256 posts, read 86,144,940 times
Pure cranberry juice tastes extremely tart to the average American. You will almost never find 100% cranberry juice at a supermarket, but you will find 100% juice blends that have cranberry juice as a major flavor. Usually they mix it with a milder tasting juice like apple juice to cut the bitterness and add some sweetness. Others are mixed with corn syrup.
Ocean Sprays, Meijer mix it with grape and apple for a better taste and sweetness. Walmart's Old Orchard is mainly apple juice with added cranberry and aronia.
Cranberry blend 100% is still pure juice but blended with other fruit juices.
Pure 100% cranberry juice: Knudsen, Lakewood, Trader Joe's, Odwalla, Mountain Sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink