Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:50 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
Isn't "heirloom" a catch-all term for cultivars that are older and haven't been hybridized (at least recently)? So there should be lots of kinds of heirloom tomatoes in addition to the crazy looking ones that the OP linked to.

And yes, I'm sure they taste great.
Yep. That's why I said I bet he's had them before w/out knowing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 10:08 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
We've been snapping them up at the local grocer - the price went from $4.99 to $1.99, so lately our dinner salad has been different types of heirloom tomatoes sliced thinly, spread out on a big platter, topped with sliced black olives, finely minced red onions, sprinkled with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic. My son, who is a veg hater, loves this salad.

I find the purple ones to be most flavorful. But the array of different colors on the platter is so visually stimulating the salad just flies down the gullet.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:33 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
We've been snapping them up at the local grocer - the price went from $4.99 to $1.99, so lately our dinner salad has been different types of heirloom tomatoes sliced thinly, spread out on a big platter, topped with sliced black olives, finely minced red onions, sprinkled with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic. My son, who is a veg hater, loves this salad.
I find that very interesting.

I use my heirlooms exclusively for cooking. I am no fan of the raw tomato by any means...and well...olives and onions and balsamic vinegar? I'd sooner have my fingernails pulled out.

To each his own....ain't life grand?

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-17-2010, 10:54 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I find that very interesting.

I use my heirlooms exclusively for cooking. I am no fan of the raw tomato by any means...and well...olives and onions and balsamic vinegar? I'd sooner have my fingernails pulled out.

To each his own....ain't life grand?

20yrsinBranson
I'm not sure why you would liken eating tomato salad to having fingernails pulled out. Life is indeed grand - and variety is the spice of life.

Thanks for that unsettling image - in the food forum. I wish I could think of such vivid analogies myself, I'd be the smash at the next dinner party.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:22 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
Isn't "heirloom" a catch-all term for cultivars that are older and haven't been hybridized (at least recently)? So there should be lots of kinds of heirloom tomatoes in addition to the crazy looking ones that the OP linked to.
In general, yes.

The problem is how they are raised and how they are handled after they are picked. I have seen some very mediocre looking heirloom tomatoes at some of the farmers markets that I have attended recently.

And you are often paying 4-5x as much for the privilege.

My father and MIL grow our tomatoes based on the varieties that they enjoy growing.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:07 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you would liken eating tomato salad to having fingernails pulled out. Life is indeed grand - and variety is the spice of life.

Thanks for that unsettling image - in the food forum. I wish I could think of such vivid analogies myself, I'd be the smash at the next dinner party.
Yeah, right?
Your dish sounds wonderful!

Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
We grow several old 'open pollinated' tomatoes. They are the best tasting tomatoes! My kids eat them straight off the plants. We save the seeds each year and swap with other gardeners for new varieties.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
Quote:

I find the purple ones to be most flavorful. But the array of different colors on the platter is so visually stimulating the salad just flies down the gullet.
My family from Italy ate tomatoes just about everyday at lunch. One of my favorite lunches is mozarella, purple onion, cucumber, and tomato, diced with a little bit of olive oil. Top it off with crushed croutons, great lunch!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
I love them. When we first moved here, we were up in MD, and as an appetizer they gave us sliced heirlooms w/ a dish of homemade mayo to dip them in. My first thought was "gross"! My 2nd thought (after tasting it) was "OMG, so yummy"!

Old 09-20-2010, 07:25 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
The heirloom has not been bred for looks as is most of this stuff you buy in the stores. Most of them have distinctive looks and flavors. An heirloom straight off the vine? Ambrosia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink