U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 02:41 AM

9,508 posts, read 11,879,042 times

Advertisements

Try the Food Nanny.

The Food Nanny | BYUtv

Old 09-18-2010, 08:26 AM

20,506 posts, read 6,225,060 times
There are just two of us now and I have never learned to cook for just the two of us and I like to cook big on a weekend and then put what I cook to different uses.

A couple of weeks ago on a Sunday I threw on the grill beer can chicken...I took 6-7 pound chicken spiced it up drank 1/4 can of beer then sat the chicken on that and cooked it for about 1 1/2 hrs on the grill only having to baste it occasionally.

From the leftovers from dinner I got more meals out of it.............

Chicken ala King where I took the chicken and added cream of mush soup, cream of celery soup, jar of pimentos green pepper and corn heated it up and had it over toast.

I have taken the same chicken added some potato carrots peas or whatever you like, some spices made a white sauce and threw it into pie crusts and simply chicken pot pie

If you don't feel like that take the leftover chicken veggies and make a pot of soup with some crusty bread.

or.......shred the leftover chicken and set aside. Put a layer of broccoli florets and place on a casserole dish make a sauce from cream cheese (I like fat free) 2 cups of half and half or cream a tsp garlic powder, black pepper and lawry salt to flavor and heat add 3/4 cup parmesan..stir until thicker and pour some over broccoli add the chicken and pour the rest over the entire casserole. You can refrigerate it at that point and cook it later or just pop it in the oven and cook on 325 until golden brown on the top...

or simply chicken salad to have with a cup of soup.

All from one chicken..

Old 09-18-2010, 02:47 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,226,336 times
There are only 2 of us now too for quite a few years now but I still cook for 4. Cook once - eat twice. Most anything you make can be eaten the day you make it - skip a day - and eat it again. Meatloaf, chicken breasts (which also turn into great chicken salad) a pork roast tenderloin - these come as small as one lb. and just take an hour in the oven with some baked potato. The options are endless. Strips of cooked chicken are great on top of a nice green salad.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:11 PM

99,486 posts, read 26,494,641 times
I am lost as to what "two incomes" has to do with this thread?? If it's two good incomes I'd say eat out every night. I thought the thread was going to be about kids moving back in with the parents for instance. The problems of trying to make two households happy in one house with one meal. We are experiencing this situation with daughter, SIL and Gbaby. They've come here to roost while attending school. They appear to be from another planet as they like nothing we like. This presents a problem as we prepare a meal only for them to turn their nose up. Then they go out leaving leftovers for an already overstuffed fridge.
...My suggestion would be Night Hawk Dinners... especially this one.

http://www.nighthawkfoods.com/01930.jpg

Old 09-18-2010, 04:08 PM

21,316 posts, read 19,467,394 times
Crock pot ... pot roast! Cut up some potatoes and carrots to roast with the meat, or throw in some small red potatoes and baby carrots if you want to spend a little more for convenience. Add an envelope of onion soup mix and a can of crushed tomatoes with garlic, or a can of condensed golden mushroom soup.

The leftovers are good if you like pot roast sandwiches.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:43 AM

8,680 posts, read 10,040,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I am lost as to what "two incomes" has to do with this thread?? If it's two good incomes I'd say eat out every night. I thought the thread was going to be about kids moving back in with the parents for instance. The problems of trying to make two households happy in one house with one meal. We are experiencing this situation with daughter, SIL and Gbaby. They've come here to roost while attending school. They appear to be from another planet as they like nothing we like. This presents a problem as we prepare a meal only for them to turn their nose up. Then they go out leaving leftovers for an already overstuffed fridge.
...My suggestion would be Night Hawk Dinners... especially this one.

http://www.nighthawkfoods.com/01930.jpg

Next time they turn up their noses and go out...I am sure you are babysitting ...change the locks and don't let them back in.....

Note: After being home alone with hubby for the summer with granddaughter we have (going on 13 and pitiful with food tastes) she is in for a rude awakening when home in 2 weeks....my daughter did me proud with her in the last 3 months with eating what is in front of her ....

Old 09-19-2010, 12:45 AM

99,486 posts, read 26,494,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Next time they turn up their noses and go out...I am sure you are babysitting ...change the locks and don't let them back in.....
The Gbaby without the baggage would be nice!!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 PM

16,273 posts, read 11,641,025 times
I thought this dinner thread below was for the purpose of sharing ideas for meals. I'm with satx I don't see what 2 incomes have to do with this thread.

What's for Dinner September---?? 2010

Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 PM

21,316 posts, read 19,467,394 times
My impression was that the OP and his wife work outside the home, so he needed some good ideas that don't need a lot of time for shopping or prep work. Easy meals.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 PM

20,506 posts, read 6,225,060 times
That too was my impression or at least that is how I read it that neither of them had too much time to cook but wanted something simple, yet good and not the same stuff.
I think we all fall into that catergory every now and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink