Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:29 PM

963 posts, read 2,401,696 times

Advertisements

free range eggs: they actually have big yolks. bake with 'em and you'll never switch back.

fair-trade coffee: coffee is one of the four food groups, a critical part of starting the day. you gotta work, deal with traffic, people - any number of things could cause your day to suck. therefore, you gotta start it off by treating yourself like well, at the very least.

fruits that nobody else eats:
1 - cherimoya (flavor?: pineapple and banana and honeydew and coconut having some kind of tropical party in your mouth. mark twain called 'em "the most delicious fruit known to man.")
2 - tamarillo (flavor:? pomegranate-meets-blackberry, with a strong, savory tomato-like aftertaste)
3 - tamarind (flavor?: like a mixture of green apple and lemon)
4 - feijoas (flavor?: like a really concentrated sweet-and-sour mix of pear, strawberry and pineapple)
5 - yuzu (looks like a big yellow tangerine. smells like a key lime with a bit of guava thrown in. tastes like a mixture of lemon, guava and grapefruit.)

good chocolate is a pretty critical thing too. chocolove has a milk chocolate/toffee bar that is pretty amazing, and a dark milk chocolate with dried cherries and chilis that might be the greatest candy bar ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,232,296 times
Oysters and sushi.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:41 PM

560 posts, read 845,766 times
Wow, what a thead! Grilling ribeyes and balsamic/EVOO asparagus for dinner, and everything here just put that in the shade!

Good cheeses
Balsamic vinegar
Mushrooms
FRESH seafood
Rib eye steak
And I have to say See's and Lindt both... each have their attributes!

Old 09-29-2010, 02:49 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,241,781 times
Wish I could send all of you eggs from our free range chickens.
We give ours away to friends & family.
Haven't had a double yokers in awhile, but about 8 years ago we had 6 hens that laid double yokers almost every day. Two of the girls, Daisy & Cookie would give us a triple yoke now & then. Yes...they laid big eggs, too.
Those were great.
Everyone misses Daisy & Cookie

My second cousin was born/raised in Switzerland & would send us chocolate every year. That was the best.
Lindt is very good, too.

I make microwave peanut brittle for everyone thru the holidays. Everyone says it's the best. Sometimes I use almonds, sometimes pecans. If certain people like certain nuts, then that is what I make them. I've even used a mixture of different types of nuts. sometimes throw in coconut, too.
It's easy to make. If anyone is intersted I'll post the recipe. You won't break any teeth eating this recipe. I can't guarantee no cavaties, tho

Splurge wise...
I guess fresh fruit & veggies.
Seafood once in a blue moon.
If there is a dessert that is yummy, I'll steal a bite or two from hubby's.
I do know if they say I'm dieing in the FAR future...I am going to eat all the good stuff that is bad for you. That's a FACT.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,860,867 times
^Yes, I would love a good brittle recipe!!!!!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:21 AM

16 posts, read 48,597 times
Tea. Good loose tea. Many different kinds. Fancy stuff like this Makaibari Estate First Flush Darjeeling Tea, Rishi Tea's Jade Cloud, or esoteric Chinese oolongs like Yongchun Fo Shou Oolong. (Links are to my reviews of these teas if anyone is interested, I'm a bit of a tea fanatic.) I order small amounts and constantly order samples of different kinds from different companies. Although I have a few favorites like those ones above, I think I like trying new stuff more than my old favorites.

Tea is about the only really high-end food I regularly buy. I tend to get good stuff across the board but I'm also price conscious. I buy the pound plus bars of 70% dark chocolate at trader joe's. I eat out a lot, but I tend to eat out at cheap places. I try to buy fresh, local produce, but I usually buy what's cheap. I love expensive cheese but even then I usually just settle for some decent wisconsin sharp cheddar or domestic feta, both of which I can get for $5/6 a pound. I don't eat that much meat, but when I do I try to buy smaller quantities of high-quality stuff, avoiding mass-produced stuff, which I've found tends to be both flavorless and unsustainable. I love fish...but again, I like cheap things; rainbow trout is one of my favorites. I use Seafood Watch to guide what I buy.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:43 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,367,289 times
Red peppers. They are incredibly expensive where I live (app. $4.00 a pound) but I love them so much and I figure they are healthy so I buy them every time I go to the store.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:54 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,787,504 times
Ikura. It's just not sushi night without it.

ikura - Google Search

Old 10-02-2010, 04:40 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,004,529 times
wine

it's food to me

Old 10-02-2010, 06:19 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,508,982 times
Wine
Liquor
Oils
Vinegars
Chocolate
For steak we only buy prime now, I have been totally spoiled to choice forever
Only Domino sugar
Only Hellmanns mayo
Only Heinz catsup
Only Hebrew Natl hot dogs
Cheese

Wow I could go on forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink