U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 04:42 PM

15,537 posts, read 17,671,283 times
Default Fellow Foodies, what is the food you splurge on?

For me, it's free range chicken eggs. Strangely, I don't give two figs about organic for myself, but I don't want to picture any hen cooped up in a confined space laying her eggs on my behalf. I want her out in the yard eating bugs and getting exercize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 06:13 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,266,193 times
Wickles - the almost $4.00 a smallish sized jar of spicy pickles; at my fav Publix of course! So good.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:33 PM

8,671 posts, read 9,357,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
For me, it's free range chicken eggs. Strangely, I don't give two figs about organic for myself, but I don't want to picture any hen cooped up in a confined space laying her eggs on my behalf. I want her out in the yard eating bugs and getting exercize.
I bet your girls love you I would have to say my splurge lately with the blood pressure battle is fresh fruit and veggies...I hate throwing food away, so I guess I splurge in a little more gas to make a couple trips a week....Good thing is even hubby is adjusting to new method of meals and not cooking so much at one time, less seasoning short of onions, peppers, garlic, crushed pepper and citrus on just about everything

Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 PM

23,444 posts, read 15,929,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My girls say that they love you!
Only free range for us!
Now.......I will splurge on really good, non-filtered olive oil, cheeses, French cornichon pickles....I know there is more.....

Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,146,958 times
I am lucky to have a wonderful ranch down the road from me that sells a lot of their stuff to the locals. I feel like I am splurging every time I buy from them, because it is not cheap, but it sure is worth every penny.

I get the best free range eggs from them.

I got a 1/4 of a grass fed steer from them earlier this year, and it was surely splurging to buy that much beef at one time. It has been greatly enjoyed.

I bought several lugs of fantastic peaches from them over the summer to put up, but I ended up making lots of peach frozen yogurt, and peach pies. Only about 5 pounds made it to the freezer.

They also give me lots of things, because I give them wild mushrooms in the rainy season. I splurge on mushrooms!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:00 AM

13,040 posts, read 14,206,524 times
Free range eggs and chicken , humanely reared meat and fish ( and seafood) from sustainable sources. I prefer to eat less meat , less often but meat ( and fish) which tastes better and isn't cruel or environmentally so destructive.

Extra Virgin Olive oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Cheeses ( once again don't it very often but when I do I love the good stuff)
Wild Mushrooms ( same as above)
Breads
Butter

Old 09-23-2010, 04:15 AM

8,230 posts, read 10,886,830 times
There is a little place up the road run by a transplanted Maine boy who's father and brothers are lobstermen and he flies some stuff in a couple of times per week for his gourmet catering business. So, fresh seafood and the soups they make, lobster bisque and cioppino, are my indulgences.

Visit the web site here: LobstaBakes of Maine, Cincinnati's Fresh Seafood and Lobster Bake Catering - About Kevin

Old 09-23-2010, 05:16 AM

16,591 posts, read 18,434,593 times
• Coffee beans from specific areas of the world
• Extra-sharp Tillamook white cheddar, aged 2.5 years
• Irish butter
• California olive oil from specific, small-run producers such as Fusano and Cullen Creek
• Graber olives
• Real maple syrup from Vermont, Grade A Dark Amber or Grade B preferred
• Imported mozzarella di bufala, Parmesan Reggiano and Pecorino Romano
• Romanian feta
• Dundee marmalade
• Hot house tomatoes, vine-ripened
• See's Candies
• English toffee from this place: Addington Confections

Old 09-23-2010, 05:30 AM

8,524 posts, read 3,603,379 times
biscuits-n-gravy!!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:00 AM

4,892 posts, read 11,412,632 times
olives
EVOO
cheeses
real maple syrup
imported chocolates
imported deli meats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink