Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Type Of Coffee Maker Do You Prefer: DRIP OR PERCOLATED?
I Prefer Drip Coffee Makers. 69 58.97%
I Prefer Percolator Coffee Makers. 32 27.35%
I'm Not Sure Which I Prefer. 6 5.13%
I Have No Opinion. 10 8.55%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 11:59 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times

Advertisements

Bought a percolator, went back to a drip machine. Yes, percolators look nice and impart a nice coffee aroma into the air. That's why I bought one to try out, remembering my parents' 1960s percolator. The taste? Much harsher, less coffee flavor -- whether the beans/grounds are "spicy" or "mellow" or "chocolately," percolated coffee has an all-around junky, sludgy taste. Percolators are the reason for that old saying: "Coffee doesn't taste anywhere near as good as it smells." Percs' only advantage: they take less coffee to reach the same strength if you like your coffee strong, as I do. Solution: Add slightly more coffee with a drip maker. Percolated coffee has a funky, messy taste -- much like the coffee made at a senior center or yard sale: inferior. Some people like that, others don't. My percolator sits unused on the shelf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 09:37 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
I've had and used all kinds except the K-cup type. Right now the one I use is an older Mr Coffee I found in a thrift shop, and which works just fine. I also have an extra carafe so I keep one pot of regular and one pot of decaf in the fridge and nuke a cup as needed. Gone are the days when my coffee drinking was measured in pots rather than cups/day...
I also have a couple electric espresso makers, a couple grinders, a french press, and a couple of pour overs, one is a Mellitta, the other is a no brand stainless steel. All of my percolators have vanished during various moves, both electric and stove tops. The Mr Coffee does well enough, with it's drip cut off so I can get the first high octane cup. It also has an automatic cut off so it won't turn into sludge after a day if I forget about it. I think it has the ability to be set to turn on at a specific time, but since my power blips with great regularity, it wouldn't work for me anyway. I didn't pay much for any of them, I think the most expensive was 5.00 for that old Mr Coffee. If/when it dies, there are more where it came from.
I'm not a coffee snob, I'm a caffeine addict!

Old 07-09-2019, 03:59 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I was gifted a ninja coffee maker last Christmas …...it drips thru coffee grinds

I like it......use it everyday

easy and easy clean up....

I love coffee....didn't drink it when younger....

I use heavy whipping cream and one of my guilty pleasures (caramel macchiato) creamer and a sweetnlow……. I mix/froth that up with a hand immersible blender

then pour coffee in...…. my morning heavin in a cup.....sometimes I may add baileys irish cream on the weekends

Old 07-09-2019, 10:30 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I'm surprised most people picked drip because that's one of the worst ways to brew coffee. I suspect the problem is the kind of grind people use. You can't use drip grind in a percolator, if you buy those grounded package coffee even if it says percolator it is not the right grind.

Percolator coffees smells and tastes the most flagrant. Drip coffees tastes weaker, it takes more coffee grind in order to get more flavor. If I make 2 cups, I just need 2 Tblspoon in a percolator. For drip, I need 4 Tblspoon with the right grind to get the same flavor. Both gold and paper filters don't do a good job.

Next time I recommend folks to go to a coffee shop and tell them to grind you a pound of medium to coarse grind for percolator. It taste absolutely better than drip when done right.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:39 AM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Good Old Fashioned

Percolator coffee is my favorite. I still sometimes use the automatic drip coffee machine though too.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:23 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
For convenience, brew time, taste & ease of cleanup I prefer our Bunn A10 drip.
Because I like trying out different methods I have a stove top and electric percolator and a french press. It's all good.
Lately I've been making some decaf in the evening with a small electric percolator. Maybe it makes the dacaf a little bolder.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:00 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
For convenience, brew time, taste & ease of cleanup I prefer our Bunn A10 drip.
Because I like trying out different methods I have a stove top and electric percolator and a french press. It's all good.
Lately I've been making some decaf in the evening with a small electric percolator. Maybe it makes the dacaf a little bolder.
You gotta have your own grinder, so many people skip out on looking up the right grind then complain about why a French or Air press isn't better than a drip.

Because American companies know that drips are the most popular method all packaged coffee grind is grounded for drip. You can't just buy grounded coffee and use it in a peculator or press without selecting the right ground or else it'll taste like mud water which is most of the complaints I read in this thread.

I personally prefer the press, easier and taste superior as it extracts the most flavor.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:37 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Thanks for the tip...the regular filters for drip makers work perfectly....just cut a very small hole in the center fot the metal tube.
Thats exactly how I do it. It’s still filtered yet percolated.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:52 PM

798 posts, read 502,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm surprised most people picked drip because that's one of the worst ways to brew coffee. I suspect the problem is the kind of grind people use. You can't use drip grind in a percolator, if you buy those grounded package coffee even if it says percolator it is not the right grind.

Percolator coffees smells and tastes the most flagrant. Drip coffees tastes weaker, it takes more coffee grind in order to get more flavor. If I make 2 cups, I just need 2 Tblspoon in a percolator. For drip, I need 4 Tblspoon with the right grind to get the same flavor. Both gold and paper filters don't do a good job.

Next time I recommend folks to go to a coffee shop and tell them to grind you a pound of medium to coarse grind for percolator. It taste absolutely better than drip when done right.
I like the freeze dried coffee from Mexico. Comes in a 2 pack from Costco, big glass jars. It is easy to prepare. Just add hot water.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:01 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Heat water between 195F and 200F in a pot or pan. Rule of thumb, you will see very tiny bubbles actively rising to surface, though you can of course use thermometer if you have one. Using thermometer time or two will let you know what bubbles you are looking for. Dont boil the water. Turn off heat and stir in your preferred amount coffee grounds for amount of water. Strain through ultra fine mesh stainless strainer. Coffee. Enjoy first two cups, put rest in thermos. It wont be quite as good, cause the heat being held in cooks it a bit over time. But its better than reheating it or leaving pot on hotplate turned down low. And stays hot for several hour.

Alternatively, the absolute best coffee, you put your coffee grounds in jar cold water in refrigerator overnight. Shake the jar anytime you open refrigerator. Pour off the liquid (grounds will settle to bottom into layer of sludge, so usually dont even need strainer) and use it as a concentrate diluting with water to your preferred concentration.. Heat it to temp preferred for drinking or drink cold. Best coffee ever if you use a high quality coffee, dont bother if you buy cheap stuff. It wont improve nasty tasting coffee grounds. Downside, the time, plus lower quantity of drinkable coffee for amount grounds used. But you get some volatile oils that are usually lost in hot brewing process. Some very flavorful volatile oils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink