U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Type Of Coffee Maker Do You Prefer: DRIP OR PERCOLATED?
I Prefer Drip Coffee Makers. 57 57.58%
I Prefer Percolator Coffee Makers. 28 28.28%
I'm Not Sure Which I Prefer. 5 5.05%
I Have No Opinion. 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 06:36 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,607,783 times

Advertisements

PITTSTON2SARASOTA,
My parents used a percolator when I was growing up, too. I haven't had perked coffee in years, but love strong robust (not bitter) coffee. Do you use an electric percolator? Share your secrets, please!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 06:43 PM

31,579 posts, read 12,709,429 times
Press person here!!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:03 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,043,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
PITTSTON2SARASOTA,
My parents used a percolator when I was growing up, too. I haven't had perked coffee in years, but love strong robust (not bitter) coffee. Do you use an electric percolator? Share your secrets, please!!
Yes...just got it....stainless steel...takes same time to brew as drip coffee and I can enjoy coffee again. But I have never tried the pressed coffee method, so I can't speak for that. However this new machine is great...coffee is NOT bitter at all...IMO....and tastes better and more robust/flavorful than any coffee I ever had since I was a kid...I'm over the half century mark now...LOL...Also it shuts off so it does not over brew the coffee and it stays piping hot til you're ready. The drip machines serve luke warm coffee at best...IMO. Here's a link to a picture of the coffee maker>>>>>
Presto Stainless Steel Coffeemaker : Target

I highly recommend it....only available over the net...arrived in just 4 days too. Hope this information was helpful!

Old 09-26-2010, 11:23 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,648,698 times
I don't know if they're still available, but regarding percolators, I can recall buying round coffee filters that were a perfect fit for the inside basket thingy that you put the grounds in. Might be worth checking out.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:58 AM

6,962 posts, read 12,378,519 times
I'm not a coffee drinker but my wife said I had to learn how to make her coffee before she would marry me. That's why I marked "no opinion". We have a Hamilton Beach Brewmaster which I like because it doesn't have a pot to set down somewhere and forget where you put it. lol My 88 yr old dad still used an old percolator. He sits out back on their screened porch and plugs his percolator in there. That way he can sit there in the mornings working the newspaper crossword puzzles and have his coffee.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I don't know if they're still available, but regarding percolators, I can recall buying round coffee filters that were a perfect fit for the inside basket thingy that you put the grounds in. Might be worth checking out.
Thanks for the tip...the regular filters for drip makers work perfectly....just cut a very small hole in the center fot the metal tube.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I'm not a coffee drinker but my wife said I had to learn how to make her coffee before she would marry me. That's why I marked "no opinion". We have a Hamilton Beach Brewmaster which I like because it doesn't have a pot to set down somewhere and forget where you put it. lol My 88 yr old dad still used an old percolator. He sits out back on their screened porch and plugs his percolator in there. That way he can sit there in the mornings working the newspaper crossword puzzles and have his coffee.
Great story...thanx.....great thing with the percolator is the short plug; means you can't break and/or misplace the carafe...thanx for voting

Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,176,527 times
Pittston, when I was growing up we had percolated coffee only on 'special occasions'. You know, if anyone came to visit or something. The rest of the time my parents just drank instant.
I loved the perked stuff, and always associated it with good times. We have a drip filter maker now though, simply b/c they're the easiest to find. I also really like those old fashioned Greek/Turkish coffee pots. Cup of that will give you a 2 day buzz!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,169,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I use a Bunn drip machine, but I have NO problem with percolated coffee from someone who knows how to make it. One of those who does is my sister. She makes excellent perc coffee in an old graniteware pot like the one in the pic.
Drip here, but after seeing this...getting out my camp coffee pot and doing some on the stove....maybe after I have a cup of drip while waiting

Old 09-28-2010, 03:23 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,414,398 times
I have a Cuisinart version of the Mr. Coffee. But, you know, every now and then I just have to have a French press cup. Reminds me of how they serve it in England. I got an instant hot water dispenser for my sink (2 quarts of 200 F.) so I could make a cup of tea or French press coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink