Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 05:46 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times

Advertisements

I am not a great chef. I cook for my husband and myself, maybe 4 or 5 nights a week and we have deliveries or leftovers the rest of the time. He cooks his own breakfast and we seldom do lunch.

I do have a few things/tools which I love.

One is this little wooden mushroom shaped thing that squashes garlic. I love this gadget because you can pulverize the clove, if you want to, and it is very easy to clean up. Google 'wooden garlic press mushroom' to see it. I got it at a local store some time ago because it was cute, 'though it seemed way overpriced. I love garlic and use this gadget very often.

The other thing that I found to be a very worthwhile investment is a meat tenderizer/pounder. It was about $28 at Williams-Sonoma, weighs 1 pound, 14 oz. I don't like paying a lot for stuff, but I find I use this almost every time I have chicken and it really improves the texture. It's easy to clean and because it has no long handle and is heavy it is easy to control.

The wire whisk certainly beat the fork I used to use.

Oh, and I got a motorized knife sharpener that has 3 grinders, two for actual grinding and one for removing burrs. I did all the knives and was surprised at how dull they had been. I have heard there are fewer accidents with really sharp knives because you don't use so much pressure in cutting.

I don't have a food processor. I have a bread maker and a juicer which I hardly use, so I'm thinking that the processor would be seldom used, as well. They all take up so much room.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:53 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times
duplicate to thread already in play: Must Have Kitchen tools