Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:33 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,292 times

Advertisements

No one got sick and we all enjoyed the London Broil.

Thanks for all the good advice. I DID marinate overnight, poked many holes in meat w/ fork, and used meat tenderizer. I seasoned & marinated w/ garlic powder, paprika, kosher salt, pepper and drowned the whole thing in a bottle of red wine.

It hit red hot grill (gas) and cooked for several minutes on each side. I sliced it v e r y t h i n.....and YUM ! The next day my Dad 'nuked a few sliced and loaded up 2 pieces of bread w/ ketchup. I followed. Repeat the YUM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 08:50 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
No one got sick and we all enjoyed the London Broil.

Thanks for all the good advice. I DID marinate overnight, poked many holes in meat w/ fork, and used meat tenderizer. I seasoned & marinated w/ garlic powder, paprika, kosher salt, pepper and drowned the whole thing in a bottle of red wine.
The red wine was a great idea. You could have made a great red wine cherry reduction to serve with it. Mmmmm.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:34 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times
London broil is actually a way of cooking not a cut of meat, the first london broils to hit the market were the Bomerang taken off the shoulder of the beef and the Flank taken off the elephant ear or hind quarter of beef, neither are marketed that way today. Only two flanks and two boomerangs exist in a full beef and for this reason and the popularity of this cut of beef all london broils are now cut from a piece of top round or inside round depending on your part of the country. The grain of the beef in a top round london broil runs north and south when looking at the london broil facing down and must be cut on a bias for it to be tender. Early cutting methods from grannys cookbook pertain to london broil cuts no longer marketed and should be ignored because the grain in flanks and boomerangs run east and west when lyeing flat.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:33 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
My family lives in So Dakota and I couldn't even find anything called London Broil in the grocery store. Just have buy the thing called Flank Steak.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Default London Broil is flank that is broiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
London broil is actually a way of cooking not a cut of meat, the first london broils to hit the market were the Bomerang taken off the shoulder of the beef and the Flank taken off the elephant ear or hind quarter of beef, neither are marketed that way today. Only two flanks and two boomerangs exist in a full beef and for this reason and the popularity of this cut of beef all london broils are now cut from a piece of top round or inside round depending on your part of the country. The grain of the beef in a top round london broil runs north and south when looking at the london broil facing down and must be cut on a bias for it to be tender. Early cutting methods from grannys cookbook pertain to london broil cuts no longer marketed and should be ignored because the grain in flanks and boomerangs run east and west when lyeing flat.
I learned at The Culinary Institute of America, where I graduated that London Broil is flank that is broiled. On all menus that I saw when I worked in NYC over 30 yrs. ago---London Broil was always flank that is at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel, The Plaza Hotel, Lutece etc. At that time many of the kitchens were staffed with classically trained European Chefs. Flank is not taken off the hind quarter--it is flank and comes from the belly (rectus abdominus is the muscle).
London Broil is a descriptive term of a dish, broiled marinated flank, not a way of cooking.

I do see Top Round Described as London Broil but this is possibly only the evolution of the name because of the limited supply of flank and Top Round (Inside Round) was used as a poor substitute. It is not the same or equivalent in quality. I have never seen bottom round (outside round) used as substitute for "London Broil" as this muscle is tougher and needs to be braised to tenderize. However as cooking and language do evolve, the word "London Broil" meaning may be changing in common usage and the original meaning may lost.

I have never heard a reference to any beef cut as "boomerang" and I cannot find any reference on the web but there are many terms in usage that are not common. In addition I have never heard elephant ears as a term applied to the beef hindquarter but only as a reference for a term for the muscle which covers the beef flank. And again the flank is not from the hindquarter--it is from the flank, that is why it is called flank.

As for cooking flank steak: it lends itself to a good oil and acid marinade, Quicky and broiled rare. It should stand for 5 minutes to allow the juices to stabilize and cut thinly across the grain. It is traditionally served with a bernaise sauce or a brown sauce (espanol.)

Old 07-13-2007, 10:07 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Default Correction to my previous post

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I learned at The Culinary Institute of America, where I graduated that London Broil is flank that is broiled. On all menus that I saw when I worked in NYC over 30 yrs. ago---London Broil was always flank that is at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel, The Plaza Hotel, Lutece etc. At that time many of the kitchens were staffed with classically trained European Chefs. Flank is not taken off the hind quarter--it is flank and comes from the belly (rectus abdominus is the muscle).
London Broil is a descriptive term of a dish, broiled marinated flank, not a way of cooking.

I do see Top Round Described as London Broil but this is possibly only the evolution of the name because of the limited supply of flank and Top Round (Inside Round) was used as a poor substitute. It is not the same or equivalent in quality. I have never seen bottom round (outside round) used as substitute for "London Broil" as this muscle is tougher and needs to be braised to tenderize. However as cooking and language do evolve, the word "London Broil" meaning may be changing in common usage and the original meaning may lost.

I have never heard a reference to any beef cut as "boomerang" and I cannot find any reference on the web but there are many terms in usage that are not common. In addition I have never heard elephant ears as a term applied to the beef hindquarter but only as a reference for a term for the muscle which covers the beef flank. And again the flank is not from the hindquarter--it is from the flank, that is why it is called flank.

As for cooking flank steak: it lends itself to a good oil and acid marinade, Quicky and broiled rare. It should stand for 5 minutes to allow the juices to stabilize and cut thinly across the grain. It is traditionally served with a bernaise sauce or a brown sauce (espanol.)
I need to apologize, I made a mistake in this previous post.:. I realized it as soon as I posted. The Flank is technically part of the hindquarter. However, sometimes the abdomen, which would include the flank, was removed before shipping hindquarters in some areas. In addition, the plate and the brisket were removed from the forequarter. I was trying to make the point that: the flank is a separate muscle and not cut from any other part of the hindquarter.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:45 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I need to apologize, I made a mistake in this previous post.:. I realized it as soon as I posted. The Flank is technically part of the hindquarter. However, sometimes the abdomen, which would include the flank, was removed before shipping hindquarters in some areas. In addition, the plate and the brisket were removed from the forequarter. I was trying to make the point that: the flank is a separate muscle and not cut from any other part of the hindquarter.
True, that is why I stated that there are only 2 flanks in an entire beef. Also i was'nt stating that the hind quarter and elephant ear were the same thing, the elephant ear contains the flank and is the belly fat you mentioned. Flank is called flank because it flanks the steakloin or wraps around.

That said if you worked the Waldorf then you knew Sam that was the Executive Chef prior to 1984, He left the Waldorf and came to Boneventure in Fort Lauderdale Fla and I had the opportunity to work with him for about 3 years.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:52 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Yup, the key with LB is marinate, marinate, marinate.

Easy Marinade:

Equal parts of Italian dressing AND Terraki Sauce (Kikoman or similiar)
fresh minced garlic and GINGER
dried mustard
honey and/or brown sugar

mix in cassarole or ziplock
add steak and marinate AT LEAST 24 hours

The thing with the slicing is thin. The against the grain is basically instead of slicing flat from top to bottom, slice as "sideways" from top to bottom as possible. In other words your first couple of slices should be VERY small as you start from the tip, slicing at a 45 degree or more angle.

Honestly, if you marinade long enough, the slicing will not affect the tenderness. Give it a try!
i remembered this post last weekend when i made london broil and you are 100% CORRECT. i threw the london broil in a ziploc with montreal steak seasoning and soy sauce the night before, marinated for 24 hrs, and it was outstanding. THANK YOU.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:21 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Some of the cheapest and toughest hunks of meat seem to have the best flavors, the trick is to prep, cook and cut it so it turns into good food !
Question, is skirt steak the same as flank steak ? I need to find a good local soarce for the proper cut of beef that is tradiationaly used for Authentic "carne asada"

Old 08-17-2007, 07:16 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Absolute easiest marinade...Italian dressing. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink