U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:18 AM

1,508 posts, read 5,382,823 times

Advertisements

Hello Grillers-

I am once again going to attempt to make a "edible" London Broil on the BBQ grill.

I am a prime example of Food 911.
I can't seem to get it right.
Always too tough, too burnt, too spicy, too much BBQ sauce.....I'm not grasping the "how to slice the meat with along grain" concept.

YES- I need a picture with diagrams and arrows. Anybody have one of those?

Please- before I ruin another London Broil, can someone walk me thru this mystery dish. Thanks !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 10:36 AM

1,343 posts, read 4,578,445 times
Alton Brown did an episode on London Broil, from marinating to slicing, on his show "Good Eats" not too long ago.
I'll look it up & get back to you!

Can't find that show, but on the Food Network site, type in London Broil. They even have a video on how to slice meat agianst the grain! Good Luck!

Last edited by ssg II; 07-03-2007 at 10:53 AM..

Old 07-03-2007, 07:13 PM

2,072 posts, read 10,867,210 times
In order to cook London Broil without it being too tough, slice it as thin as possible before grilling. You may also want to brush it with a little melted butter and garlic. I prefer New York steaks or Rib Eye ....

Old 07-03-2007, 08:04 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,374,633 times
I always premarinate a cut of meat like London Broil...something acidic will break down the tough part of the meat. I have a friend who uses Italian salad dressing. I would be more likely to use a combination of olive oil and lime juice with some garlic thrown in.

You can also get some meat tenderizer to put on the steak before hand as well.

The lower the temperature and the slower you cook a meat that is tough, the more tender it will be when your done.

I have a brisket in the fridge, I am going to season it and just let the heat threaten the meat, I will set the oven at 150 and cook until done.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:48 AM

525 posts, read 2,118,342 times
Yup, the key with LB is marinate, marinate, marinate.

Easy Marinade:

Equal parts of Italian dressing AND Terraki Sauce (Kikoman or similiar)
fresh minced garlic and GINGER
dried mustard
honey and/or brown sugar

mix in cassarole or ziplock
add steak and marinate AT LEAST 24 hours

The thing with the slicing is thin. The against the grain is basically instead of slicing flat from top to bottom, slice as "sideways" from top to bottom as possible. In other words your first couple of slices should be VERY small as you start from the tip, slicing at a 45 degree or more angle.

Honestly, if you marinade long enough, the slicing will not affect the tenderness. Give it a try!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:43 PM

1,393 posts, read 6,905,878 times
JUSTSAYNO I do for al practical purposes exactly what you do

works great

Old 07-05-2007, 04:14 PM

525 posts, read 2,118,342 times

Yup I use this marinade for a lot. Chicken-on a stick, ala chix with veggies skewered on the grill, it is perfect for. Whenever I see Italian dressing on sale I stock up. With the base liquids you can add anything to taste and it come out delish every time (I also set aside a good portion before adding meat for dipping)

Try it........you'll like it

Old 07-07-2007, 11:09 PM

120 posts, read 343,956 times
When london broil goes on sale I ask the butcher to grind it into hamburger and package it into 2lb packages to freeze. No smelly grease or grease drippings in the pan. I haven't bought hamburger in years.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:18 AM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
After marinating, Alton's "trick" was to cook the whole steak directly on the bed of coals, searing it with very high heat.

Remove from the coals (after searing both sides), and wrap in aluminum foil for 5 minutes or so to let it "rest".

The slice very thinly across the grain, so that the fibers of the meat are as short as possible.

Never slice before you grill the steak ... the very thin pieces will overcook instantly over a hot fire, and will lose all the juices due to the large surface area of the meat.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:34 PM

3,258 posts, read 7,860,155 times
I use a marinade of Soy Sauce, minced garlic and lemon juice. This is great if you are having fresh veggies like Zuchini or Yellow Squash. Marinading something for even an hour in an acidic mixture helps, but if not using vinegar or lemon juice, you could actually marinade for a couple of days in the fridge.

Thinly slicing on an angle and against the grain is the key with LB as well as not overcooking it. Serve is medium to medium rare if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink