Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 04:46 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Apple Pan and Father's Office are the closest ones to me. There are a lot of good burgers in LA.

Five Guys is alright, but hardly worth the hype, IMO. Good burgers, but no better than In N Out.

And ............ hardly any wait? When I went to Five Guys in Thousand Oaks, it was SLAMMED. Line around the building. Easily a 20 minute wait.
People argue about 5 Guys and In n Out all the time......it's quite comical. I think In has gone downhill.....the burger is big, but 2/3 of it is lettuce....the meat is thin...... So, you have never waited at In n Out? LOL What In has that 5 doesn't is milkshakes.....but 5 has cajun fries and peanuts......

There is a 'good' reason why you have to wait at an award-winning place......

In L.A., near USC, the steamed burger at the 901 Club used to be excellent. An old lady (probably dead by now), would put this tin over the meat while it was cooking......it was a simple burger, thick piece of meat, but out of this world! You got a tiny bag of chips with it, but you didn't go there for the chips...and your feet stuck to the floor, too, but the burger was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 04:49 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Apple Pan and Father's Office are the closest ones to me. There are a lot of good burgers in LA.

Five Guys is alright, but hardly worth the hype, IMO. Good burgers, but no better than In N Out.

And ............ hardly any wait? When I went to Five Guys in Thousand Oaks, it was SLAMMED. Line around the building. Easily a 20 minute wait.
P.S. Maybe you went at the wrong time.....we've never waited over 10-12 minutes and that included the time in the line...they're very fast at the places where we've been...and yes, the line was out the door in Orange County one time...

Old 10-08-2010, 05:00 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
I did not say they didn't have GOOD burgers ..... what I said was they were not worthy of all the hype.

They are busy BECAUSE of their awards, not necessarily because of the food. I think that in SOME AREAS of the country, they are probably the best burger within 100 miles - but here in LA (Ventura, Orange Co's) ..... there are SO many good burgers that Five Guys cannot rank that high.

Just my two cents as a burger lover.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:42 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,776 times
While five guys meat selection is top notch (never frozen 80% chuck 20% sirloin and overall 80% lean) my beef with them (pun intended) is they smash their patties thin, will not cook them below med-well and charge a high price. In my area, a medium drink & fry with a double cheeseburger is about $12.

I can get the same quality beef at other chains like the outback, chilis or TGIF, get the patty thick and medium rare and a beer for $12. I can even sit at the bar while I wait and chit chat amongst the locals.

For the burger-gurus, get the kobe burger at bonefish grill. Most "elite" beef you'll ever try.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:12 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Sorry if you hate chains, but Five Guys got it in Miami. Can't beat the price, and it is always fast, hot, and good.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sorry if you hate chains, but Five Guys got it in Miami. Can't beat the price, and it is always fast, hot, and good.
In the interest of nit-picking, compared to what?

Old 10-09-2010, 04:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Well, in Miami, I would compare it to 8 oz buger bar, over priced burgers, but you can get a beer with your burger. But the burgers are still not as good as Five guys in my opinion.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, in Miami, I would compare it to 8 oz buger bar, over priced burgers, but you can get a beer with your burger. But the burgers are still not as good as Five guys in my opinion.
I've been to South Beach 3 times and heard of 8oz burger bar, but never tried it as I was told the Big Pink was the place to go. They weren't kidding, might be the best place in FL; they grind steaks into patties and form THICK patties every day. I'm telling you, try it and to anyone else, try a place that actually freshly grind steaks in patties as other places often use cheap "trimmings". I'm simply extremely bitter that Five guys is thin/overcooked/overpriced IMO...If they fixed one of those three I'd be a lot happier...

Old 10-10-2010, 12:35 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
If you ever come to Anchorage, Alaska stop in at the White Spot. Best greasy burger going. They make their fries from fresh potatoes everyday.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:49 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
My house yesterday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink