U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:37 AM

3,031 posts, read 5,182,303 times

Advertisements

Wow, I haven't even thought of doing that. (grinding) I was interested in this thread b/c my parents never bought pre-ground mince. They had this big ol' hand-cranked contraption which I used to think was amazing. It was always an "occasion" when it was brought out and fixed to the kitchen counter. I loved being able to help out. We currently live off-grid part-time so I might look around for one of those again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 06:10 AM

1,336 posts, read 2,700,825 times
The other cool thing about grinding your own is now you can make your own sausages. Not only controlling the amount of fat (and other "parts") going into the mix, but also experimenting with new flavors and combos.

I'm going to the store today, with then intent of making some kind of chicken sausage, but will make whatever is available and suites my mood. Maybe a Chicken sausage with basil and sun dried tomatoes, sprinkled with Goat Cheese and lots of garlic. (which should go REALLY nicely in a pasta dish, mixed with shrimp, fresh spinach, fresh tomatos and deglazed with a little white wine.)

Damnit, now I'm salivating on my own post!

Old 10-15-2010, 11:56 AM

3,391 posts, read 5,854,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
The other cool thing about grinding your own is now you can make your own sausages. Not only controlling the amount of fat (and other "parts") going into the mix, but also experimenting with new flavors and combos.

I'm going to the store today, with then intent of making some kind of chicken sausage, but will make whatever is available and suites my mood. Maybe a Chicken sausage with basil and sun dried tomatoes, sprinkled with Goat Cheese and lots of garlic. (which should go REALLY nicely in a pasta dish, mixed with shrimp, fresh spinach, fresh tomatos and deglazed with a little white wine.)

Damnit, now I'm salivating on my own post!
Mmmmmm! Now I'm hungry, too!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:31 PM

9,718 posts, read 5,652,733 times
I have been grinding my own meats for years. On my 2rd grinder now, but couldn't live without it. I don't care for a lot of fat so I add additional ingredients to make my ground meat moist.
You really have no idea what your eating from the stuff at the supermarket and with so many recalls of ground meat I feel better grinding my own.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 PM

1,336 posts, read 2,700,825 times
Had to bump this thread again. Just had a burger made from fresh ground chuck. Bought and ground it immediately, froze the burgers and then put them on the grill frozen (safe from a food-handling perspective). My wife had hers well-done, but said it was the best burger she's had in a long time.

I had mine rare. Probably the first burger I've had that was not well done in over 15 years. It was SOOOOO good. Topped with Provolone, Fresh Avacado slices, fresh tomato, red onion and Romaine.

WOW, I don't remember a burger that good in a long time, and certainly the first time I remember eating a rare burger in an even longer time....

Reps to the OP for bringing up the subject.

EDIT> Apparently I already gave the reps, because it won't let me give more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink