U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:45 PM

3,391 posts, read 5,845,353 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with grinding your own beef for burgers, etc.? All the recent discussions about additives and lack of sanitation reminded me of my childhood. My Mom frequented an old-fashioned butcher shop, and she would choose beef, and the butcher would grind it for her. I understand that freshness and food handling practices make a huge difference. Aside from these points, what cuts do you think would be best for this in order to get the best flavor, fat content for juiciness, etc.? Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 06:07 PM
bjh

26,135 posts, read 22,795,314 times
That's not a bad idea, just probably more expensive.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:24 PM

13,713 posts, read 22,843,488 times
Hobart and Kitchenaid make attachments to their mixers that can grind meat. I want one that is run by a motor and the hand cranks will wear you out pretty quickly.

Do realize that the same lack of sanitation that can poison you from a commercial operation can also poison you at home. There are a lot of people who let their meat reach room temperature and do NOT properly clean the equipment. Also, you have to watch out for cross contamination.

Do realize that you will need to make sure that you have sufficient additional fat especially if you are grinding very lean meat like the top or bottom rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
That's not a bad idea, just probably more expensive.
Not necessarily. You can often get a round or a chick roast for less ON SALE than you can buy ground beef.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Hobart and Kitchenaid make attachments to their mixers that can grind meat. I want one that is run by a motor and the hand cranks will wear you out pretty quickly.

Do realize that the same lack of sanitation that can poison you from a commercial operation can also poison you at home. There are a lot of people who let their meat reach room temperature and do NOT properly clean the equipment. Also, you have to watch out for cross contamination.

Do realize that you will need to make sure that you have sufficient additional fat especially if you are grinding very lean meat like the top or bottom rounds.

Not necessarily. You can often get a round or a chick roast for less ON SALE than you can buy ground beef.
Thank you! Do you have any ideas/advice regarding the amount of fat that should be added?

Old 10-11-2010, 06:40 PM

1,336 posts, read 2,696,859 times
I just picked up my grinder today, but I've worked as head chef in a place that ground their own (like a fudruckers, it is called Fat Daddy's, but years ago...)

Anyway, I would recomend Chuck Roast. Superb flavor, excellent marbelling, and can be purchased at a decent price on sale.

Also, for pork, try Boston Butt, or Country Style Boneless Pork Ribs (butt cut up), should be good for sausage making.

Sanitation points raised are very prudent. Be sure to wash your equipment fully, and my advice would be to sanitize with a light bleach mixture. You can fill a 32 oz spray bottle with water, and put about a teaspoon of bleach in it. After you have THOUROGHLY cleaned the equipment, spray it down with sanitizer, let it sit for a bit, and wipe or rinse it off. (I prefer a rinse, but I think that light of a mix won't hurt you!)

But for beef, you should not need to add fat. Mostly because you shouldn't buy such lean cuts for grinding, only to pay more, so you can add fat. Buy something like Chuck. For something like venison, you'll likely need to add fat.

Enjoy, I gotta run and take my beautiful daughter to bed.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:51 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,924,111 times
We grind our own ground beef and other meats, I use a kitchenaid mixer with the grinding attachment. I've purchased steaks/roasts from the store and from a rancher. I can tell a HUGE difference when we use it for chili or meatloaf. It is very good in hamburgers as well. I like grinding the meat ourselves because we can cut off as much fat as we would like to make it lean, or for things like chili, maybe not quite as lean.

We'll also grind turkey and chicken because they are leaner and for some reason they are stupidly expensive at the store.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:21 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,172,045 times
Going to get the grinder attachment for my mixer...I have the hand-crank ones...they take the fun out of it totally....

If the beef is really lean, I would add pork sausage to it for the fat content...if doing burgers on the grill without some fat content, they dry out really fast...do a big batch while doing it...freeze the rest

Last edited by Grannysroost; 10-11-2010 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Fix my spelling and becuz I can :)

Old 10-12-2010, 12:47 AM

114,038 posts, read 52,394,168 times
We've got the big semi-commercial Kitchen aid mixer with pto* for grinder and pasta maker etc. I'd prefer though to buy a single purpose electric grinder. Don't want to wear out a $400 machine grinding meat. Saw a electric grinder for around a hundred at Wally World. Not really to serious about doing my own or would investigate further. We do have a couple really good kitchen supply houses nearby.

*Power Take off!

Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 AM

10,333 posts, read 9,449,724 times
Boy oh boy ... it's three minutes til midnight and I'm getting hungry for a great big juicy burger! I knew I shouldn't have read this thread.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 AM

Thank you all for your ideas and advice! Can't wait to get started!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink