U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:27 AM

3,035 posts, read 3,681,813 times

Advertisements

We had lamb regularly here at the azz end of the planet when I was a kid. It was nothing special but I preferred roast beef or chicken. I didn't eat lamb again for a few decades, then had again earlier this year. For me it was waaay to gamey and kind of, I dunno..odd. I imagine it'd definitely be an acquired taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 12:42 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,146,377 times
I love lamb, however its been really hard to find in Utah for some reason. I NY and New mexico i could find it alot. I wander where they hide the lamb in Utah

Old 11-20-2010, 07:20 AM

237 posts, read 142,786 times
I can't imagine not being able to buy good cuts of lamb, it's not worth eating unless you get quality. Lamb shanks (frenched) in the slow cooker, lamb roast with a garlic and rosemary crust, lamb mince for shepherd's pie, oh, and my local butcher does the best crumbed cutlets! Yum. Admittedly, I would prefer not to think of what I am actually eating. I guess it's just what you're raised with, we are just used to the flavour, and it isn't given a second thought. If the quality and range in the states is pretty average then I could understand why more people don't eat it also. You need to try some awesome lamb recipes, and guaranteed it would be more in demand!

Old 11-21-2010, 02:03 AM

17,334 posts, read 12,321,950 times
Beef, it's what's for dinner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVrqSYHxUQI

Old 11-21-2010, 04:43 PM

4,884 posts, read 4,887,889 times
Historically sheep and goats made cattle ranchers very angery because, they claimed, sheep and goats will tear the whole grass out including the root while cattle tend to just trim the tops of grasses. They had whole "range wars" of sheep herders vs cattle herders due to cattle herders claiming sheep herders were destroying range land. The end result was there just wasn't much in the way of sheep herding done at least out west.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:52 PM

4,884 posts, read 4,887,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
The price and the taste. The aftertaste made me gag and feel sick.
Tastes vary I suppose though the main reason is that lamb really, really, really needs to be free range and grass fed to taste it's best while most of our meat industry truly is an industrial process focused on feed lots with as many animals packed in as possible in as small an area as possible (so they don't move around and burn calories) so they can be fed the cheapest grain (usually corn).

Under those conditions lamb doesn't taste very good and it takes more time for the lambs to mature and get enough weight on them to be worth slaughtering. Thus most ranchers go for beef.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:17 PM

2,038 posts, read 2,480,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
As an Aussie in the Pacific NW USA, I really really miss my lamb. It is DEFINITELY more pricey here though when you CAN get it - and I've given up even looking for places to get lamb's liver (which is way less coarse than beef liver that is generally available here).

I have noticed however that Australian and New Zealand lamb has a MUCH milder flavour than the USA raised lamb, not sure why that is.
Oh thats so unusual. I find that Colorado lamb is far less gamey but I really enjoy cooking Lamb from both continents.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 PM

9,494 posts, read 11,834,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Tastes vary I suppose though the main reason is that lamb really, really, really needs to be free range and grass fed to taste it's best while most of our meat industry truly is an industrial process focused on feed lots with as many animals packed in as possible in as small an area as possible (so they don't move around and burn calories) so they can be fed the cheapest grain (usually corn).

Under those conditions lamb doesn't taste very good and it takes more time for the lambs to mature and get enough weight on them to be worth slaughtering. Thus most ranchers go for beef.

If you are serious about lamb, head to a county fair and meet with the 4-H kids who raise lambs and agree to buy their animal. Tell them how you want to raise the vehicle.

Lambs take under a year to make their weight; beef steers a lot longer. It is actually cheaper to free range the beef cattle than it is to feed a lot of grain which if you haven't noticed, corn prices have been through the roof for the past six years due to ethanol production.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 PM

18,293 posts, read 15,742,571 times
Not a fan of lamb unless it's seasoned well with Mediterranean/Middle Eastern spices. I'm fine with shawarma/gyro (although I suspect that most shawarma/gyro meat I've had has been a mixture), and don't THINK I've had lamb curry, but imagine I'd like it, as I tend to like all curries. But less adulterated lamb, can't do it. I studied in Ireland, never could acquire a taste for the traditional lamb stew.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:55 AM

9,494 posts, read 11,834,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not a fan of lamb unless it's seasoned well with Mediterranean/Middle Eastern spices. I'm fine with shawarma/gyro (although I suspect that most shawarma/gyro meat I've had has been a mixture)
Generally, nearly all gyro loafs and cones are made of a mixture of beef and lamb or all beef.

Kronos Foods, Inc. - Greek Food Products: Greek Meat Products: Meat Cones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink