Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:22 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,406,067 times

Advertisements

Well it's getting close to that time of year again - TURKEY TIME!!!

I just wanted to start a thread to find out what some of your tricks are for a perfect turkey?

Any special ingredients or techniques you use that produce a perfect Thanksgiving Day turkey?

Any special stuffing/dressing you make to go with?

I had a great recipe from Martha Stewart that made a gorgeous golden brown MOIST bird everyone loved. I have to go digging for it this weekend in my recipe drawer or I'll never find it in time for next months feast.

My mother makes an oyster stuffing that everyone loves which I will ask her to help me prepare this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 11:40 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,352,516 times
Chestnuts in the stuffing - and dried cranberries. We only get the breast and slow roast it in an enameled cast iron pan. Keeps it juicy without barding.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:43 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,151,422 times
I brine my turkey using an old recipe I got from Alton Brown many years ago. I stuff the cavity with veggies and spices to give the bird more flavor and then rub with butter to help with browning.

I'm southern so you know I serve up cornbread dressing.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:57 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,384,900 times
basting, basting, basting.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:01 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,309,727 times
In a word: brining. Use equal amounts of kosher salt and sugar and brine for at least 24 hours.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:37 PM

5,503 posts, read 6,234,112 times
Absolutely brining, I also add sliced lemons to the K. salt, brown sugar mixture and keep refrigerated, covered overnight. Before roasting, I cover the entire bird with Mayonnaise, this keeps the bird moist and golden brown. I make a ground sausage, beef and bread stuffing---delicious.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,578,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Well it's getting close to that time of year again - TURKEY TIME!!!

I just wanted to start a thread to find out what some of your tricks are for a perfect turkey?

Any special ingredients or techniques you use that produce a perfect Thanksgiving Day turkey?

Any special stuffing/dressing you make to go with?

I had a great recipe from Martha Stewart that made a gorgeous golden brown MOIST bird everyone loved. I have to go digging for it this weekend in my recipe drawer or I'll never find it in time for next months feast.

My mother makes an oyster stuffing that everyone loves which I will ask her to help me prepare this year.
My most important trick would be getting someone else to cook it!

Actually, since it's just me, I get one of those preformed turkey rolls with gravy, and eat from that. Think it's made by Jennie O.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:57 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,349,683 times
I use one of those turkey roasters, it frees up the oven for other stuff. I find it easier to baste, you don't have to lean over into the oven.

Also, I've had the best luck with the cheapest turkeys, just the plain old store brand, like Kroger, check the label. Usually they just have turkey broth and water added. My worse luck ever was one of those Butterballs, it came out so dry, and gave me a headache, probably the chemicals in it.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:45 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
Slow-roast overnight. The germophobes tell you not to do it, but it's fantastic that way, and nobody will die.

Preheat oven very high, put the turkey in before you go to bed at night (that will kill any surface organisms). After a half hour, turn it down to about 200. Give it 10-12 hours.

Sauerkraut makes a great stuffing. (I'm not kidding.) Stuff it with anything. I once had a last minute turkey and nothing to stuff with it, and I put a grapefruit in there.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:50 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Slow-roast overnight. The germophobes tell you not to do it, but it's fantastic that way, and nobody will die.

Preheat oven very high, put the turkey in before you go to bed at night (that will kill any surface organisms). After a half hour, turn it down to about 200. Give it 10-12 hours.

Sauerkraut makes a great stuffing. (I'm not kidding.) Stuff it with anything. I once had a last minute turkey and nothing to stuff with it, and I put a grapefruit in there.
The sister in The Accidental Tourist cooks her turkey that way, then her brothers ruin her Thanksgiving feast by telling all the guests the turkey will kill them. Only the future fiance eats it. Love that movie/book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink