Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The great majority of breakfast meats are salt-cured meats, and pork seems to be the meat that is most usually processed that way. Nearly all breakfast menus will offer your choice of ham, bacon or sausage, all of them cured pork products. Except for steak n' eggs at a truck stop, beef is rarely included on a breakfast menu, either.
Mexican restaurants sometimes serve barbacoa for breakfast, but it's usually just around the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
HHmmm, aren't eggs poultry?
They are in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i am funny in that i crave savory foods for breakfast. i sometimes like breakfast foods, but to be honest i would prefer some type of protien, almost like having lunch at breakfast.
love chicken turkey or fish in the morning.
Me too, something savory which is why I often like to have dinner leftovers for breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I suspect that anything that takes a while to cook would never be a breakfast favorite. However, there's nothing better than cold, left over fried chicken to start the day right!
True, that is a good cold breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The great majority of breakfast meats are salt-cured meats, and pork seems to be the meat that is most usually processed that way. Nearly all breakfast menus will offer your choice of ham, bacon or sausage, all of them cured pork products. Except for steak n' eggs at a truck stop, beef is rarely included on a breakfast menu, either.
I had steak and spaghetti for breakfast at an IHOP in Jackson, Miss one time. You should have seen the looks I got.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:26 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,072 times
+ 1 on the cold fried chicken.
What about chicken soup?
I always thought (chicken) soup was good breakfast food; soothing, nourishing.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:22 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Mexican restaurants sometimes serve barbacoa for breakfast, but it's usually just around the weekends.
Personally, while barbacoa is great, machacado is one of the great breakfasts.

Machacado con huevo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And beef bacon is outstanding.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:40 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, while barbacoa is great, machacado is one of the great breakfasts.

Machacado con huevo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And beef bacon is outstanding.

machacado is great, it does not have the greasiness that barbacoa does, I miss living in S Texas since it was easy to get both of these, not so easy on the east coast

Old 11-08-2010, 08:30 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
Seems like Eggs are a popular breakfast food....cluck, cluck....

Old 11-08-2010, 09:32 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
That does not sound like a good way to start my morning.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:04 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
+ 1 on the cold fried chicken.
What about chicken soup?
I always thought (chicken) soup was good breakfast food; soothing, nourishing.

True story coming up! One day a nice woman came to my front door doing a survey on canned soup. She made it plain that it called for either yes or no for an answer. So she went through the questions. She established very early that I bought several cans of Chicken Noodle Soup every week, but none of her questions gave her a clue as to when I ate or used any of it. At last, she just gave up and asked,"Just when do you use this soup?"

You guessed it. None, not a single one, of the yes/no questions asked a single thing about Chicken Noodle soup for breakfast.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:18 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Seems like Eggs are a popular breakfast food....cluck, cluck....

Thank you ~~ I thought so too.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:52 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone know the reason that poultry is not normally served at breakfast?

I assume there is a good reason. What is it?
Because (are you ready for this....) it would be a Party Fowl

As to JTur's response about the saltiness and salt-cured meats, I suspect this is probably the closest to truth. My guess is that if you go back far enough, people who worked in the fields and the factories (who actually sweated and WORKED for a living) ate a meal high in sodium because they actually needed it.

A meal like Bacon and eggs prepared one for the day, with a good concentration of fat, protein and salt. That's my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink