Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:34 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,117,067 times

Advertisements

My mom makes this fruit salad called 24 Hour Salad, a fruit salad with a whipped cream (not Cool Whip) base. We also have sweet potato casserole with a pecan streusel topping (no marshmallows), cornbread dressing (stuffing), giblet gravy, homemade cranberry jalapeno chutney, and my pumpkin cream cheese pie in a pecan shortbread crust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 AM

92 posts, read 109,084 times
@AmazinGracie ... ditto on the fruit salad. We make one with sour cream and whipped cream that is very good, but I never even think about it until Thanksgiving and Christmas. Also, in all my years I have never roasted a turkey at anytime of the year except the Holidays.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:31 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,728 times
Spoon bread which I love. I can't figure out why I don't think to make it more often throughout the year.

My husband has always made his Grandmother's recipe for dressing (known as stuffing here!), but this year he is willing to let me make cornbread dressing. I can't wait!

Old 11-19-2010, 04:46 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
Cranberry relish, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pies.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:51 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,992 times
This is a good explanation of why Europeans call rutabagas turnips.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip_(disambiguation)

Rutabagas are a different variety of the vegetable we call a turnip here.

I would say the green bean casserole is our thanksgiving only dish. Its the one time a year I buy the crispy onions anyway!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:45 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
aerosol cheese on crackers.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:54 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
What a successful ad campaign Campbell's Soup has run to have made their green bean casserole a traditional part of Thanksgiving tables countrywide! I always find that amazing how that was added to our holiday culture via a recipe on an ad.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:55 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
I serve turkey every Sunday at my restaurant but for Thanksgiving I do it up with some additional sides. Two dessert items that I only make on Thanksgiving are pecan pie and West Indian pumpkin souffle - yum!

Old 11-21-2010, 02:36 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
What a successful ad campaign Campbell's Soup has run to have made their green bean casserole a traditional part of Thanksgiving tables countrywide! I always find that amazing how that was added to our holiday culture via a recipe on an ad.
Absolutely. And on the back of every can of French-fried onions is the recipe. Do people buy those for any other reason? (I think I may have used them in meatloaf once.)

I never had it until after I got married. It's not a dish my family makes, and I always thought it sounded gross. But my husband loves it, so I make it. I do not like canned green beans, so I made it with frozen for a few years and then started looking for something a little tastier.

I'm trying Paula Deen's recipe this year:

Green Bean Casserole Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

And I DID buy Campbell's soup. I wonder how much they sell around Thanksgiving compared to the rest of the year.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:53 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Turkey with homemade gravy, and mashed potatoes. The rest of the year we have smoked turkeys occasionally, but not with gravy. Our family doesn't like stuffing, so I always try out new recipes that are sort of like stuffing, with homemade bread, but no sage. It's difficult finding new recipes we can agree on. Our family also has a strong aversion to the dreaded green bean casserole, but my dh and I do like a similar, homemade recipe (no canned soup) with baby peas I made once. It was in a creamy sauce, with homemade fried shallots instead of canned french fries, or whatever that topping is in the green bean casserole. I wish more of our family liked the peas recipe, but even after I explained it wasn't like the usual green bean casserole, they still wouldn't touch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink