Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:02 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times

Advertisements

In the end I think it would have been cheaper to eat out. I guess you can say that I'm lucky in only having to cook a small dinner. I can't imagine having a larger family or having to cook for a crowd this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 02:34 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
The cost of everything so far for me has been 70.00 for 11 maybe 12 people, however I still have to get a mince pie, maybe another stick of pepperoni if I keep snacking on it while watching TV at night. It seems most places around here are charging anywhere between 12 and 15 dollars for a sit down buffet style meal at a restaurant.. Not including a beverage or the price of mixed drinks or beer.. so figure 11 people x 15.00 bare minimum= 165.00 not including a tip for the server(s)
11 people at home at 80 dollars spent(including the not yet bought mince pie) works out to be $7.27.. a person and there wont be any alcohol at the house unless someone brings it themselves.

And out of the $70 spent so far not all of that was Thanksgiving food, I also bought hot dogs and a 10.00 package of chicken wings we have had for dinner since then and most likely a few other things as well.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:53 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times
LOL! I can't even begin to tally. I'd drop dead from shock. (but that would be like every holiday around here. And as the meal lasts the whole day-well, what would a restaurant charge for the whole day?) Plus there's so many things I have to make ahead, already have, I'd drive myself crazy.
I did just tally the cost of the new type of cheesecake I made, not including the eggs, vanilla, cornstarch, raspberries I already had in the freezer, it came to $14.84 for a 9" cake. And this one's alittle smaller than my usual. And that's just 1 dessert.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:27 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
The only good thing IS the leftovers. I decided to do a ham this year simply because I couldn't find a good price on turkey. I can make omelets, sandwiches, salads, cook down my vegetables in ham, etc. But this is definitely more expensive than previous years. Most of my sides I have in the deep freezer from summer "putting up."

Old 11-19-2010, 04:51 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
I am serving only 7 including myself. Just put in my order for an 8 to 12 lb. turkey which is going to cost about 25.00. Trying to make everything from "scratch" so I hope to spend under $300 this year on everything. (that estimate includes a table centerpiece, drinks, and table dressing)

Old 11-20-2010, 05:40 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I am serving only 7 including myself. Just put in my order for an 8 to 12 lb. turkey which is going to cost about 25.00. Trying to make everything from "scratch" so I hope to spend under $300 this year on everything. (that estimate includes a table centerpiece, drinks, and table dressing)
You are going all out with the centerpiece and table dressing. I'm having family and one very close family like friend.
They come in the house all year and except for the turkey placemats there will be no fancy centerpiece or table dressings.
Martha Stewart I am not. I'm also perfectly happy with my 23 pound turkey that we got at wal-mart for $14.00..
We cant be doing too bad seeing as everyones been coming here or in NY for the 40 years I have been alive.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:57 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
I generally spend around $150, not including liquor.
Thank goodness I already own good china, crystal, silver, etc...
I have a beautiful antique porcelain cornucopia that I fill with ornamental squash/gourds for a centerpiece, very classic!

Old 11-20-2010, 07:02 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,992 times
The most expensive thing on my thanksgiving table will be the turkey breast which might end up costing me $15 if I don't find a coupon soon!

We are 2 adults and 2 kids, so the cost will likely be under $30. And I just used a Groupon I bought ages ago to get a box of fresh farm veggies delivered on Tuesday which will cover most of it.

I'm interested to know what's in that cheesecake because I make a reasonably decadent white chocolate raspberry cheesecake that has 2 lbs of cream cheese in it and it doesn't cost that much!

If I was cooking for more people I'd give serious consideration to ordering some of it in from the local supermarket. You can get a meal that feeds 6-8 for $40 at our local Safeway.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:39 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post

I'm interested to know what's in that cheesecake because I make a reasonably decadent white chocolate raspberry cheesecake that has 2 lbs of cream cheese in it and it doesn't cost that much!
See this recipe I posted under Cheesecake thread: Chocolate Bliss Cheesecake recipe

Nabisco Famous Chocolate Cookies $4.19
(Oreos would have been $2.78, but
I choose to use the above instead)
1 Lb. sweet butter $2.93 ÷ 4 sticks = $ .73 (recipe needs 2TBS+1 tsp.)
3 Philly CreamCheese @ $1.18 ea.= $3.54 (and they were on sale!)
1 whole pkg. Baker's Secret
Semi-sweet choc. sqrs. $2.24
Sour Cream $1.42
Smuckers Raspberry Preserves $2.87

and that's without the eggs, vanilla, sugar & frozen raspberries I already have. Any other questions?

Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
About $120:

Hot autumn punch
A 20-lb turkey and gravy
Mashed potatoes
Green bean casserole
Spinach gratin
Roasted Brussels sprouts
Strawberry Jell-O pretzel ... salad? (Not sure what to call it)
Winter squash rolls
Homemade cranberry sauce, plus the stuff in a can
Two store-bought pies with whipped cream

We'll end up with a few ingredients left over, like butter and extra apple juice, etc., and we already have a few things on hand like chicken broth and yeast. Serving six with plenty of leftovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink