Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:36 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,329 times

Advertisements

Someone suggested I invite my new neighbor and her son (both adults) over for tea. There's a bakery nearby and they sell various delicious pastries, breads and the usual fare. When inviting someone over for tea, how many tea selections would you offer (I have peppermint, ginger, fennel, green, etc. and the usual black teas like Darjeeling, etc.).
I'm wondering how to extend the invitation and plan the tea time. It could be spontaneous where I knock on the door (I've met the son, but not the mom yet) or leave a note with my number for them to call me back inviting them for a specific date and time range....

What do you think of tea and pastry as a first time meeting? I would be delighted if my new neighbor did that for me. I would have invited them over for a drink (alcohol), as that seems less gay, but I no longer drink. Perhaps a more masculine drink is coffee, but I don't drink that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 11:05 PM

61,676 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Tea is good and most people will drink it ( have some milk and lemon to offer with the tea). You don't need to have a vast assortment of teas: one or two black, one green and one fruit should do. Have some juice in the fridge just in case.
I would just get one of the invitation cards and send it to them ( per post). Invite for TEA, so there would be no misunderstandings...
I am sure, they will love it

Old 11-21-2010, 06:33 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,257 times
It does seem kind of as you say "Gay" it is a great gesture though. When our neighbors moved in last year I made them a small pan of baked ziti.
Sent along with two paper plates and plactic forks.
They thought it was great because they were tired and stressed from moving and didnt have to cook or go out..

Old 11-21-2010, 08:01 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,488,710 times
i would just send it like an invitation with date and time and number in case they cant make it...
you have plenty of choices...

Old 11-21-2010, 08:08 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,395 times
Sounds good. Are you look'n for this to possibly go further?

Good luck to you! Very nice idea you have, no it's not gay. Stupid would be to have her over for a beer and a cigar....but if she went for that I'd hit a knee right there!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:17 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
Sounds nice. I love going for high tea...I went the other day at the Biltmore, it was marvelous. We had tea, and little sandwiches with cream cheese and salmon, scones, with clotted cream. It was great fun. Send a note, so they know what is going on...this is a nice gesture. But, the way things are now, don't be surprised if they don't stay long, who knows any more...people are so strange now...

Old 11-21-2010, 09:03 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,589,976 times
That sounds neighborly and gracious to me - I'd think they'd appreciate your invitation and effort. I agree with elnina's recommendations and will add...

1. Send the invite either by mail or slip an envelope with note under their door
2. Be explicit that it's a 'light tea' or 'tea and pastries' so they'll know it's not a full afternoon tea like Jasper described or a high (meat) tea dinner substitute
3. You could even put an end time on if you want - invite them for '3-5 or so' and a comment about choosing a different date that works for both of you if this one isn't good for them (that way it's still active instead of dying if they can't make the date).

Have fun - keep us posted!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Just TOO adorable, VAW. If they come for tea will you be broaching the subject of her heavy walking and will you also invite her cat to share a bowl of milk?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Just TOO adorable, VAW. If they come for tea will you be broaching the subject of her heavy walking and will you also invite her cat to share a bowl of milk?
I guess he hasn't seen her boyfriend hanging around lately.

Nonetheless, I don't see how this is going to work if the woman doesn't speak English and avoids him at every turn. However, maybe she'll wear her nightgown. One can always hope!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:52 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,589,976 times
Yikes, sounds like there's a weird back story to this that STT and Avienne know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink