Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:09 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times

Advertisements

Anyone have the Walmart barcode list showing the country of source for each number? Especially want to know which food and pet food products are from China and couldn't find the list on Google or the Walmart site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I doubt if you can tell. Products that are labeled for sale in the USA almost always have a USA barcode number, beginning with the digit zero. I have a few things from Mexico, mostly with 0, but one with a 643, which should be Finland, but it says product of Mexico, sold under license by an American company, and Mexico should be 7. I also have some "california pitted prunes", bar code starting with 802, which is assigned to Italy, but the brand is Sunsweet Growers Inc., Yuba CIty CA. I have a basmati rice from India (690 = China).
Barcode Prefixes and Product Country of Origin... (If You're Pushed to Buy Foreign 'Stuff' Know Where it Originated) | KnowTheLies.com - The Truth is Hidden in Plain View...

However, with a few rare exceptions, a product sold in USA must have a label that states, in English, country of origin.
Like my sardines from Morocco, bearing a USA barcode.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-27-2010 at 10:59 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 03:02 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I doubt if you can tell. Products that are labeled for sale in the USA almost always have a USA barcode number, beginning with the digit zero. I have a few things from Mexico, mostly with 0, but one with a 643, which should be Finland, but it says product of Mexico, sold under license by an American company, and Mexico should be 7. I also have some "california pitted prunes", bar code starting with 802, which is assigned to Italy, but the brand is Sunsweet Growers Inc., Yuba CIty CA. I have a basmati rice from India (690 = China).
Barcode Prefixes and Product Country of Origin... (If You're Pushed to Buy Foreign 'Stuff' Know Where it Originated) | KnowTheLies.com - The Truth is Hidden in Plain View...

However, with a few rare exceptions, a product sold in USA must have a label that states, in English, country of origin.
Like my sardines from Morocco, bearing a USA barcode.
Many of Walmart's products do not state the country of origin; the label simply states" Distributed by Wal-Mart Stores..". I don't know how they got around it, but they did and that's why I'm trying to get those barcodes.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
There is a US law that foods imported must show their country of origin in English, but some kinds of foods are exempt.

Regulatory Issues: COOL reception for country-of-origin labeling

Again, briefly, the bar code only indicates the country in which the bar-code was applied for, and that could be anybody along the way, and they would get a barcode number that corresponded with where they were when they applied for it.

If sardines caught off Morocco by Russian ships and taken to Spain where they are processed by a Japanese owned company and labeled for export to a Canadian importer who packages them under the WalMart brand, the bar-code could reflect whomever along the line applied for the applicable bar-code..

Old 11-29-2010, 09:48 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
We ALWAYS bought Wal mart brand (great value) 6 pack juice.
One day I noticed the apple juice said the juice came from china. That PO me. Bad enough all their products are here...now their food.
Now I pay extra & buy the welchs or minute maid 6 packs.

Read UR labels people...

Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,678 times
here is a post that give the region number of some countries [URL="http://www.hoaxorfact.com/Health/how-to-read-bar-codes-and-avoid-harmful-foods.html"]How to Read Bar Codes and Avoid Harmful Foods - Facts Analysis-HoaxOrFact.com Analysis.[/URL]
By the way, I think you can download some barcode reader APP which can scan and give you the encoded information. [URL="http://www.barcodelib.com/java_barcode/main.html"]Barcode for Java | Java Barcode Generator for Generating Barcode Images in Java Applications[/URL]

Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross smith View Post
here is a post that give the region number of some countries
But the previous posters are correct... the bar code doesn't indicate country of origin. So it's an exercise in futility.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:22 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
We ALWAYS bought Wal mart brand (great value) 6 pack juice.
One day I noticed the apple juice said the juice came from china. That PO me. Bad enough all their products are here...now their food.
Now I pay extra & buy the welchs or minute maid 6 packs.

Read UR labels people...
Apple juice from china??

thanks for the heads up-im going to be checking from now on

Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
The bar code tells you where the company is headquartered, not where the product was made or grown. It's where the paperwork was filed to obtain the bar code.

All apple juice from concentrate comes from China. They put all American apple processors out of business. Unless you are buying super expensive apple juice from a local health food grower, you are not buying American grown or processed apple juice.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Fresh apples are more likely to be from either America or Chile. Washington state, which grows a lot of the apples eaten in the states, will have a sticker on each apple identifying it as Washington grown, or it will state USA. Most fruit from Chile also states the origin. So at least you can still eat fresh apples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink