U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:34 AM

527 posts, read 865,546 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone- so....I just picked up my first crockpot- I cook ALL the time, I come from a big Italian family
I NEVER used a crockpot before and would love to try some differnt recipes

Can all my fellow foodies here give me some (step by step) instructions on some good meals I can make?

Thanks, I look forward to trying out some great meals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 07:38 AM

8,536 posts, read 6,207,017 times
Crock Pot Recipes - The Secret Recipe Forum

http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=crock+pot

All 3 sites are awesome!! Have fun.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:46 AM

21,871 posts, read 12,751,504 times
This is a wonderful website on how versatile the crockpot is A Year of Slow Cooking

I think the crockpot is best for turning inexpensive cuts of meat into super tender meals. Since my DP doesn't eat red meat - I cook use it to cook chicken and poultry.

Here are two of my favorite recipes.

Chicken or duck masaman curry: I take a small can of Thai curry from the supermarket and combine it with a can of coconut milk. I add carrots, potatoes, onion and celery with the curry and cook it on low for about 4 hours. Then I add the chicken or duck thighs for another 2 hours (total cooking time of 6 hours). The last 30 minutes, I slice avocados and add it to the crockpot.

Lasagna: Make layers of the following: pasta sauce to cover the no boil lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, sliced mushrooms and Italian sausage - just keep layering until you get to the top. Cook on low for 8 hours.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:48 AM

15,616 posts, read 9,162,577 times
I'd also recommend the crockpot365 website. I have some keepers from there. The site is entertaining and she tries some a-typical (for the crockpot) recipes so you can get a tad more creative than roast with jam and onion soup mix. Athough, that is a classic and really yummy IMO! You could try searching the recipe section here for "crockpot" and see what comes up.

IMO, crockpot cooking can be really convenient/easy and good...sometimes. The sometimes is the key, here - too much crockpot cooking is not a good thing. Lots of people complain that everything tastes the same from a crockpot - like potroast. It can be hard to avoid that potroast essence which is why I use it sparingly and will use it for 'unusual' crockpot meals like thai curry.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:49 AM

15,616 posts, read 9,162,577 times
LOL figures George and I would be posting similar recommendations at the same time That's two votes for crockpot365 AND thai curry!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 6,793,155 times
I gave up my very ugly,avacado, large crock pot 10-15 years ago. It took up alot of room in the cabinet, as I didn't use it much, with only 2 of us in the house most times.
I have a small one now, and only do 2 different things in it, so I'm not a good source for info.
But the 2 things I always use it for are pork & saurkraut, & beef stew.
Oh, and it's great when having buffet type family dinners to keep your italian red sauce w/meat hot (on low setting).
Stick to your ribs, cold weather meals.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:37 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,911,008 times
Beef stew is definitely awesome, I also make pulled barbecue chicken in mine. I like the year of crockpot site too!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:51 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,156,448 times
A Year of Slow Cooking

Old 12-02-2010, 03:59 PM

2,407 posts, read 5,154,270 times
B4u... your crock sounds like my red one.
I got the red crock in 1978...still works great.
Have a 6qt. slow cooker... bought a few years ago.
Also have a smaller one...maybe 3 or 4qt.
I use them all.
Allrecipes also has many crockpot recipes.
Just google crockpot recipes... and you'll be reading recipes forever :-)

Some people put their chuck roast in the crock out of the pkg.
I brown mine on both sides with some olive oil then put it in the crock.
You can add the dry onion soup mix on top of roast & add a can of cream of mushroom soup to it. Very easy. Cook on low a good 8 hours, depending on size of UR roast.
You can also put celery, carots, onions & potatoes in bottom of crock, put UR roast in & your dinner will be done.

Also while cooking... try not to open your lid. Every time you open the lid, it will take longer to cook, because you lost all the heat that was inside.

I think you will be surprised how easy it is to cook with your crock pot.
Good Luck... (you really won't need any luck, it's very easy).

Old 12-02-2010, 04:32 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,911,008 times
If you have an iPhone there is actually a Crock Pot app!

Not your mothers slow cooker cookbook is a nice book too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink