Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:09 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times

Advertisements

I cook for a small family, but I do cook most nights. Tonight we're having a vegetable curry over rice. Last night was meatless tamale pie. My daughter decided to be a vegetarian and it's mostly easier to cook vegetarian than to cook seperate things for her to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 10:09 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,569,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
Thank you for all of your replies !

I am considering making Dragonten's cold noodles, chicken & Peanut sauce dish. I have made Northwood's layered sauerkraut dish but my variation is to add a sliced tart apple & some apple juice then I cook it in the crockpot.

But how about L A R G E families? Mass quanities? Most of the time I'm cooking for six, sometimes I cook meals for eight - ten. No I do not run a boarding house ! LOL
Is there any certain dish that you can recommend which can be spread around? Any recipes? Mac & Cheese won't do for my family.
Apple slices, very good idea...Will try this next time. Thanks

Hamburger vegetable soup goes a long way and very simple to prepare and let simmer or in a crock pot. We made this at a 911 dispatch center that I once worked at and would let it simmer for hours, due to busy traffic

ground beef or turkey browned amount to suit you 2#s is good
tall can of vegetable juice
1-2 pkgs. of frozen veggies of your choice mixed is good
large can of tomatoes or a few fresh if you have some
large onion(s) chopped (one relative would shoot me if I served onion)
can of beef or veggie broth or 2 cans
your personal seasonings - we like garlic lots of it

You can really mix leftovers all together also. Just a standard old recipe that does go far.

Can't wait to read others.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:35 PM

58 posts, read 295,588 times
I have a large family
Brisket is good, or flank steak to make wraps, or tacos, mix up the spice to change the flavor
Stew
Homemade soups with homemade buns or bannock
chicken spagetti
mashed potato chicken cassarole
any cassarole really
chicken and slippery dumplins
roast, with all the veggies cooked in the same dish
beercan chicken, then make soup with it next day

Old 07-25-2007, 10:53 PM

72,405 posts, read 18,195,530 times
This sounds good,I am going to try it

Egg-Free Breakfast Scramble
Serves 2
  • 1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 pound mushrooms, chopped (optional)
  • 1 green onion, finely chopped (optional)
  • 1 bell pepper, finely chopped (optional)
Using a fork or potato masher, crumble the tofu into small pieces and then sauté in oil in a frying pan. After a few minutes, add the remaining ingredients, turmeric through bell pepper, if used. Lightly toss in the pan until well-cooked. Serve warm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink