U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:02 AM

901 posts, read 1,030,367 times
Default Pork and sauerkraut...best way to cook?

It seems to be a tradition to cook pork, sauerkraut, and blackeye peas for New Year's. So I'm going to do that, but I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be okay to cook the pork and sauerkraut in a crock pot? How long should I cook it? It would be a pretty thick pork roast, so I'm not sure how long to cook it for. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 04:11 PM

7,153 posts, read 9,475,853 times
I would cook the pork the way you usually do, and the last hour or two add the sauerkraut.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:15 PM

38,739 posts, read 35,885,429 times
Yes, crock pot would be fine. I would suggest draining most of the liquid from the kraut, and replacing it with enough water to cook the pork, and let it simmer for a really long time, so it falls apart. The acid in the kraut will pull the good calcium out of the bones, so leave them in there, too. If, afterwards, you feel it doesn't have enough kraut flavor, add some juice back in. A can of kraut contains about 3 times as much salt as a can of beans. Cut up an apple and an onion and put it in there, too, or add apple juice instead of water. Serve with boiled potatoes, but don't try to cook the potatoes right in the kraut, they won't be mealy the way you'll want them---best way to do that is to put them in cold water and bring them to boil.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-31-2010 at 04:28 PM..

Old 12-31-2010, 04:34 PM

Great advice. Thank you both.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:29 PM

8,345 posts, read 11,387,490 times
I'd brown it in an oven safe metal pot in a little oil. Roll it around and brown on all sides. Add a can of chicken broth, rosemary sprigs, and quartered onions. Cook covered for 2 hours at 300 F. Add sauerkraut w/o liquid it comes in and cook for 1 more hour. Should be falling apart. Toss onions and rosemary, thicken liquid with flour salt and pepper and serve pork smothered by sauerkraut and liquid poured over. Agree with boiled potatoes as side. Would add harvard beets as second side.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:44 PM

5,023 posts, read 3,386,495 times
I've cooked them together in the crock pot and have been pleased with the results.

I like Libby's canned sauerkraut. I place drained sauerkraut into the crock, reserving approx. 4 oz. of liquid. I add the pork on top of the kraut and then the reserved liquid on top of the pork.

If I have a small onion, I will slice it and add it on top of the pork and kraut liquid. If I have apples, I will dice one or two and add that on top too. (I've made it without both, which is also fine.)

Cover. Cook on low a minimum of 8 hours/maximum of 12 hours. I don't mean it will be ready somewhere in between 8 and 12 hours. It will be ready in 8. However, nothing will happen to it if you leave it as long as 12.

I don't particularly care for the way fresh potatoes come out in the crockpot. If I want to add potatoes, I will use canned - either sliced or whole potatoes, (drained). Otherwise, I would cook potatoes on the side.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:59 AM

38,739 posts, read 35,885,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Add a can of chicken broth,
The combination of the sauerkraut and a can of chicken broth will contain a toxic amount of salt, and is going to send you sodium count into another galaxy. You'll be begging for congestive heart failure.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Auggghh (is that how you spell that? lol!)...I didn't get up until too late this morning, so I can't do it in the crock pot. I wouldn't be eating until 8:00 this evening. So I'll try this on top of the stove.

Thanks for the suggestions. I never thought about putting apples in it. Does that absorb some of the sodium?

Old 01-01-2011, 09:29 AM

3,161 posts, read 4,079,053 times
Brown pork chops on the outside (bone-in, center cut), put into crock pot. Rinse the kraut just slightly to remove SOME, but not all of the "sourness". Mix the kraut, a couple of sliced potatos and and onion, 1/2 cup of apple juice, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspon of caraway seeds, and some salt and pepper, then add to the crock-pot on top of the chops. Cook for 8 hours on low.

Smells wonderful, meat falls off the bone, delicious!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Brown pork chops on the outside (bone-in, center cut), put into crock pot. Rinse the kraut just slightly to remove SOME, but not all of the "sourness". Mix the kraut, a couple of sliced potatos and and onion, 1/2 cup of apple juice, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspon of caraway seeds, and some salt and pepper, then add to the crock-pot on top of the chops. Cook for 8 hours on low.

Smells wonderful, meat falls off the bone, delicious!
That sounds fantastic! I'll definitely make a note of your recipe.

I'm curious - many of you have mentioned apples or apple juice. I've never heard of that with pork and sauerkraut. I try to follow my grandmother's old time recipes when I cook, but I don't recall ever seeing her use apples when cooking anything with pork. Is it because of the flavor that you all use them, or does it aid in making the meat tender - perhaps a different reason?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink