Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 03:13 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
I found a few photos on my phone taken in the last couple years at three different stores. All on the eve of a predicted snow storm. It absolutely cracks me up every time

Attachment 164690

Attachment 164691

Attachment 164692
The only reason I can think of is the storm was so bad that the delivery trucks could not get to the stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 03:17 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
we had a severe ice storm in the late 1990's we lost power for 16 days!!! most of maine lost power for around that long..

many of us have generators to give us electricity

and many of us have a secondary heating source I have a woodstove in the living room...and the woodstove was a godsend during that ice storm I cooked on it and it kept the house warm..

after losing power for a couple weeks...not much else has compared to it

but for prep.... we make sure there is gas in the gas containers (5 gallons) for the generator, or snowblower (also snowmobile) I cut and split my own wood...so we have in the garage for the woodstove

if we do lose power,,, its cold enough out if we had to empty the freezer in the basement we could put contents in the garage

our biggest worries is ...if it gets sooooo cold the car doesn't start ... but we are getting smarter some of us with take the car battery in overnight ....

Old 01-20-2016, 04:16 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
what's the deal with the banana shortage when a storm is coming??? That would be the last thing I'd get unless everyone is making banana bread LOL.
Have to feed the pet monkeys. A hungry monkey is not a happy monkey.

Just got back from the grocery store and there were plenty of bananas, bread, eggs and milk still on the shelves. Maybe the hoarders are waiting for payday.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:38 PM

221 posts, read 202,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
The only reason I can think of is the storm was so bad that the delivery trucks could not get to the stores.
No, no. This was in advance of the storms.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:49 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Coffee. My only concern is making sure I've got fresh beans. If the power goes out, I've got a hand grinder and a gas stove. And if the power goes out, I'm eating whatever is in the freezer.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:42 AM

422 posts, read 335,890 times
Went to the store today....not a loaf of bread in site, hubby stopped at two others until he found some bread. Store was also out of ramen noodles and hamburger meat. Milk aisle was getting low, too.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:41 AM

997 posts, read 1,060,503 times
I was at the store yesterday picking up some veggies I needed for the veggie lasagna I was making for dinner. The place was a madhouse - people were hoarding gallon water bottles and bread, milk & eggs. Does everyone eat french toast when there is a snowstorm??

It always makes me laugh.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:26 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post
The place was a madhouse - people were hoarding gallon water bottles and bread, milk & eggs. Does everyone eat french toast when there is a snowstorm??
It always makes me laugh.
Makes a person wonder. Why is it that bananas, bread and milk get wiped out? We do get hit
pretty hard sometimes with terrible lake effect snow so we do keep several things stocked
during the winter in our apartment.
Do the people who need those three items ever buy these (below) ahead of time to have on hand?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8bca630838.jpg

dried bananas
http://cookrookery.com/wp/wp-content...ed-bananas.jpg

Bread:
http://www.demeterclarc.com/wp-conte...ST-PACKETS.jpg
plus flour and do this:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/food...ding-dough.jpg

Old 01-21-2016, 11:01 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
When I hear there is going to be a big snow storm or blizzard, I love stocking up on ingredients to make a warm meal that will last for a few days. My favorites are homemade minestrone, chicken noodle soup, chili or pot roast. It's so warm and comforting to cozy up under a blanket while the storm is raging and the house is filled with the aroma of a nice warm meal.

I also like to make sure I am stocked up on wine

Old 01-21-2016, 11:18 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
nothing - because even when we lost power for a week once we still weren't cut off from civilization. I suppose it comes down to how remote you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink