Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:29 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times

Advertisements

I'm from the south where we prepared for tornadoes, hurricanes, and other forms of rainy weather. We stocked up on sandwich meats, milk, alcohol, bread, chips, cookies, and other shelf-stable snacks. I think I kept doing this out of habit when I lived there.

Now that I live in the Midwest, I don't stock up on anything. But I keep a rather full pantry and freezer, anyway. Weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If you were really smart, you'd never put yourself in the position of there even being the slightest possibility that you'd run out of booze ...

I've got a half case of wine, a half case of beer, a half bottle of bourbon, a half bottle of rum (do you notice the pattern here ... ), a half bottle of butterscotch schnapps ... Should I stock up??
I hurried out today to buy half and half, beer and wine. I couldn't justify buying more chocolate.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:20 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Not that I have ever been snowed in, as I live in a metro area and could walk to the store, but I would (and do) always keep beans and rice on hand.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 PM

553 posts, read 1,544,470 times
Our pantry is always full anyway. I can literally go "grocery shopping" downstairs. But the must haves for an impending blizzard is: Toilet paper, kitty litter (it has more uses than just cat poo), dog & cat food, oatmeal packs, ingredients for cowboy chili, fresh eggs, lunch meat, etc. We have a milk service who drops by once a week, so that's never a concern. I usually start baking cookies, cakes, cobblers, stuff like that too.

Almost once every 3 yrs or so we get the blizzard that can shut down the entire city of Denver for about a week. My Mother has oxygen tanks, so candles are out of the question. We have lots of flashlights & batteries too.

Back in the day, when I used to drink, I would have listed dry vermouth and vodka. But thankfully, I can take that off of my list now.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I never even think about it. I always have enough in the house to get me through a snowstorm. Along with a campstove and plenty of fuel.

Anyone can live for three days on nothing but water, and as long as your house is warm enough to melt snow, you're all set. If I had to get by on only one thing besides water, it would be cornmeal. That's edible mixed with water at room temperature, and a sustainable nutrient for a month.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:39 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anyone can live for three days on nothing but water, and as long as your house is warm enough to melt snow, you're all set. If I had to get by on only one thing besides water, it would be cornmeal. That's edible mixed with water at room temperature, and a sustainable nutrient for a month.
Very smart and I learned something new today, thank you. Also, that would be my nightmare. That sounds like apocalyptic food. LOL!

Old 01-12-2011, 12:28 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
We've only been 'snowed in' for one single day the whole 4 years we've lived in Chicagoland so it's not too much of a concern, but I always keep on hand:

Liquid baby formula in case the water goes off
Pasta, rice, frozen veggies, frozen meatballs, fish and chicken breasts, stock cubes or 'Better than Buillon' for making stock.
I also keep bread and bagels in the freezer, and we always have butter, cheese, milk and eggs on hand.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:46 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
We don't worry too much about being snowed in, our concern is being iced in. Snow I can handle, ice, not so much! If we have a storm coming I just make sure we have enough milk to get us by for a day or two. We've never been trapped longer than that.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:02 PM

328 posts, read 568,623 times
Default So..big storm coming...food??

What do you like to cook when there's snow on the way? I need some ideas besides chili, stew, and chicken & dumplings...what's your comfort food on those blustery days??

Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Usually chili, but I also like french onion soup a lot. My mom used to make that and have it ready for me when I was done playing. Ah, memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink