U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:28 AM

12,497 posts, read 12,722,119 times

Advertisements

So, I made a mistake. (That's happened only once before. )

At the supermarket a few weeks ago, I bought a 1.75 lb. flank steak. I wasn't thinking when I unpacked the groceries, and just threw it in the freezer.

Yesterday, I took it out to defrost. The problem is that my husband doesn't eat red meat. What I *should* have done is cut the meat into one-person portions BEFORE freezing. I just wasn't thinking.

So, now I have a 1.75 lb. flank steak defrosted.

Any thoughts? I'm not going to want to flank steak 3-4 days in a row. Do you think I should broil the whole thing and then freeze what I don't eat??? And, really, how bad will it be warmed up again, out of the freezer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 09:34 AM

3,753 posts, read 5,111,575 times
I cook meat and freeze it all the time--I'm ALWAYS cooking for one AND I buy in bulk, so I have it down to a science!

When I cook and freeze meat, I usually use the frozen meat in a dish, not to eat by itself, such as a quesadilla, casserole, stir fry, etc. The possibilities are endless!

(Steak quesadilla--holy yum!)

Old 01-14-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I cook meat and freeze it all the time--I'm ALWAYS cooking for one AND I buy in bulk, so I have it down to a science!

When I cook and freeze meat, I usually use the frozen meat in a dish, not to eat by itself, such as a quesadilla, casserole, stir fry, etc. The possibilities are endless!

(Steak quesadilla--holy yum!)
AH! Good idea!

Let me ask you, how about this? What if I cook it until it's *almost* done... then cut off the part that I won't eat tonight, and freeze that in a couple of portions? That way, I can broil it some more when I defrost it. Yes? No? I'm an idiot?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM

I don't know if twice cooked steak would be the best...

I've heard that to avoid contamination, you shouldn't refreeze thawed meat, and since you won't be cooking it all the way, it would be the same type of thing.

I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. All the meat that goes in my freezer is fully raw or fully cooked.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I don't know if twice cooked steak would be the best...

I've heard that to avoid contamination, you shouldn't refreeze thawed meat, and since you won't be cooking it all the way, it would be the same type of thing.

I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. All the meat that goes in my freezer is fully raw or fully cooked.
Y'OK! Fully cooked it is, then.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 AM

Found an article on it:

Is It Safe To Refreeze Meat? Why Or Why Not? | A Moment of Science - Indiana Public Media

Looks like Artie may be one happy dog

Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 AM

21,288 posts, read 19,357,372 times
Can I come over and have some steak quesadilla too? Problem solved!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks, sweets. I was going to cook it all the way when you said so before, but now FOR SURE. Well, it was FOR SURE then, too.

This part of the article made me laugh:

Quote:
So if you canít cook it soon, throw it away, or give it to the dog, who is not as sensitive to those bacteria.
1. Artie is not getting any part of a $12.00 flank steak. I give him hamburgers every day; that's my limit!

2. If I'm not going to eat it (with all of its bacteria), I'm certainly not giving it to Artie, who has a wonkier stomach than I do! Imagine the poop issues that I'll have with him, then! NO THANK YOU!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Can I come over and have some steak quesadilla too? Problem solved!
YES! I'll pick you up at the airport, JJ!

Old 01-14-2011, 10:03 AM

697 posts, read 691,307 times
as a beef farmer I don't trust anyone who doesn't eat beef
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink