U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:01 AM

8,268 posts, read 10,360,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Then when I get home and don't feel like cooking I can just pull it out of the freezer, nuke and eat!
Me too! I love when something is forgotten and you run across it rummaging thru the freezer, I'm lazy about labeling so sometimes I'll be staring at some ziplock bag for awhile before it dawns on me and I'm celebrating that I found another baggy of the pulled pork or goulash I made a couple months ago. Woohoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 12:06 PM

4,470 posts, read 6,604,065 times
We buy for 2 weeks at a time, but, also add a few extra's for the pantry. We could get along for 3-4 months including the freezer. And of course, we live 65 miles from a store and we have elk, deer, antelope, rabbit's all around, so if it came to survival lot's of game. Large garden in the summer. Water; now that could be a problem. We are thinking of putting in a solar powered pump for the 4500 gal. storage tank we have.

Happy trails,

HW

Old 01-29-2011, 12:39 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,461,651 times
A month....I have powdered milk and tons of grains, oatmeal, canned salmon, tuna, soups, fruit (canned and dried), lots of beans, peas, couscous, pasta, sauces, etc. The freezer always has quite a bit of meat, fish and poultry, frozen vegetables, stock, breads, ice cream, etc. Not to mention lots of bottled water, toilet paper, laundray detergent and paper towels in storage in the basement.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:04 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,524,271 times
4 or 5 months depending on the time of the year.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:11 PM

21,129 posts, read 22,064,957 times
Depends how well we wanted to eat. I usually have a decent supply of things like dried beans, oatmeal, peanut butter....We could probably "survive" for awhile....Eat tasty, balanced meals for a week or two. Also depends on if I just got back from Costco or haven't been in awhile LOL!

Old 01-29-2011, 03:30 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,589,412 times
I'm 10 miles from the section of the San Andreas Fault that hasn't ruptured since 1803, and is overdue for a big one. So I keep plenty of potable water (preserved with a little bleach) on hand as well as canned milk, black beans, chili, dry rice, stuff like that. I don't want to rely on frozen food, as the electricity would be the first utility to go away after an earthquake. I also have lots of wood, propane and charcoal for cooking in case the gas disappears.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:36 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,965,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yeah I know this probably belongs in that preparedness forum but I was curious to get responses from normal people not the eccentric folk who purposely stockpile for the impending collapse of society they've been waiting on for twenty years.

Say the **** hit the proverbial fan, be it disease or natural disaster or zombie apocalypse whatever something where you couldn't or wouldn't want to leave your house. How long do you think you could hold out before malnutrition became an issue? I realize potable water would likely be a more pressing need for most but for the purposes of this exercise assume you have access to water, maybe you cleverly filled all your bathtubs and available plastic storage containers when trouble was brewing.

So how long could you stretch what food you have?
The biggest issues to a large food storage program is both room to store and selection of foods to store since most food is packaged to last no more than a year at best.

Lastly, there is the issue of protecting your stash from those who didn't plan ahead. In all honesty this question is a catch 22 with extra thorns to get around.

The Mormons believe , and they do do this, that all should hold a years supply of food so a look at how they do this might help alot for all.

In my mind a huge store of food kept on , or on, your home/property assumes that you will remain there long enough to use it up which is just plain folly.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:38 PM

386 posts, read 1,119,740 times
About a month for food items, about a year and a half for coffee (they had a really good sale a few months ago )

Old 01-29-2011, 04:20 PM

2,407 posts, read 5,142,203 times
Hubby built me the best pantry. It is HUGE.
Honestly... theres enough food in there for an army. I couldn't begin to even guess.
Three to four times a year I clean it out & donate food to a local food pantry.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:49 PM

3,111 posts, read 6,728,352 times
About a week if I ration the food I have now. Usually, I have more beans and rice, but I am finishing the remainder, and have yet to buy more. I could probably stretch it to 3-4 weeks then. I never keep more than that amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink