U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,822,851 times

Advertisements

In the deli departments, bakeries and produce departments they have samples of meats, cheeses, various baked goods and fruits, in clear, domed covered dishes which often swivel open, sitting on an ice filled dish, if needed. They usually will have a container of picks next to it for people to use to get the samples. I've also seen pretzel sticks used for this purpose as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 AM

34,416 posts, read 42,571,594 times
Sam's and Publix does, but it's mostly on Saturdays when the stores are the busiest. Their purpose is to sell more of the foods they have samples of, so they want as many people in the store as possible.
I actually bought something once just because of the sample, so I guess the theory works.
They had samples of frozen breaded chicken patties...something I would never in a hundred years buy or eat- you know, those kind of patties made of pieces-parts?-but after I tasted it..I wound up buying it.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,822,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sam's and Publix does, but it's mostly on Saturdays when the stores are the busiest. Their purpose is to sell more of the foods they have samples of, so they want as many people in the store as possible.
I actually bought something once just because of the sample, so I guess the theory works.
They had samples of frozen breaded chicken patties...something I would never in a hundred years buy or eat- you know, those kind of patties made
of pieces-parts?-but after I tasted it..I wound up buying it.
It definitely works. Sam's Club always seems to have samples our around lunch and dinner time. People are hungry and they take the samples, then it makes them want to buy more. When my kids were young I had to quit taking them around those times because they would taste everything and like it. So, if they would eat it, I would buy it, because they were both really picky eater, and would think I'd found something new they would eat. Once we got it home and I prepared it, no one would ever touch it.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:23 AM

4,166 posts, read 5,164,231 times
I've bought "new things" at times as a result of tasting samples. Lately though this hasn't been the case because the items have been pretty expensive. They just didn't seem worth the high prices.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:22 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,900,901 times
My daughter is terrible at liking the sample but not liking it at home. Perhaps I should get a toaster oven and serve her food in those little Dixie cups!

I know that the people who do the demos in Costco and Sams get paid a percentage of the amount of that product sold that day, so the ones that do a better job of convincing you to buy some are benefitting. They get paid a little above minimum wage to start with, but I guess the bonus is nice too. Something to consider next time you sample something you like!

Old 02-03-2011, 01:28 PM

662 posts, read 1,040,408 times
There was a time that we only went to Costco on Sundays around lunch. Besides trying new things we usually left full!

Old 02-03-2011, 01:41 PM

22,607 posts, read 21,660,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I love Trader Joe's samples and often end up buying whatever they're selling.
Yeah, I love those Trader Joe's samples. Their prep and serve are is well managed. There are appropriate utensils, napkins and a waste receptacle. The ingredients, packaged items are displayed at the prep site -and- the person prepping and serving the food can tell you exactly where to find each item in the store.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:08 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,903,429 times
My Trader Joe's sample counter has a little top-loading freezer and is next to the refrigerated section, so they just have everything you need right there. They always have nice combos of two or three things ... easy peasy. I wonder if they come up with their own ideas or if they come from a corporate kitchen.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:21 PM

29,989 posts, read 35,788,331 times
Default Why to never try the free food samples at the store!

Do you know where that free food sample being marketed to you in the store has been?

Shopper Ingested Semen-Tainted Yogurt Sample | The Smoking Gun

Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM

16,218 posts, read 25,353,229 times
Quote:
After accepting Garcia’s offer of a yogurt sample, the woman immediately thought the sample tasted “gross and disgusting” and, cops reported, “said it tasted like ‘semen.’”
The woman said, “I spit it out on the floor many times cuz I was upset.” The woman recalled that when she talked to manager Catherine Flores, “she told me was a Greek yoghurt. People love it has lot of protein on it.
This is a horrible story, yet I can't stop laughing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink