Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:09 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times

Advertisements

World Market often has bargain prices on bulk bags of various spices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:20 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I personally think Penzey's is prohibitively expensive in many cases (I get their catalog, and also live near one of their brick and mortar stores. There are occasional things I do get from them that aren't very available, otherwise, but I don't get the bulk of my spices from them.

The grocery store I shop at has both pricier brands and inexpensive brands. I find that the best and most cost-effective spices come from ethnic grocery stores, and are often sold in bulk/in bags. Not incredibly helpful unless you live in a fairly populous area that is given to ethnic grocers, of course, but that's also not always the universal case. My small, rural hometown of 7,000 has a large migrant/hispanic population, and does have several Mexican-run grocery stores that carry a lot of inexpensive bulk spices, much cheaper than the mainstream groceries. I also find that World Market has good prices on bagged spices.

As others have mentioned, it can be better to buy spices in smaller portions and use them up as quickly as you can, so they don't lose potency. Bulk isn't always best, unless it's something you use a lot of, and frequently.

Herbs are something I rarely buy/use dried. It's more cost-effective and more yummy to grow my own.
Great Information. I live near Penzey's and I also think their prices are way out of line. I have found the store staff to be remote, arrogant, unfriendly and lack knowledge of what they are selling. I do not need to go to a fancy store, with little shelves and displays that puts on airs", thinking that spices are only for the tony rich.

As you have suggested, I also buy my spices at the ethnic markets. I live near Chinese, Vietnamese, Laotian, Korean and Latino Markets and they have a good choice of spices in small packages or in larger sizes when I use more. The prices are much cheaper than the branded spices at the the chain groceries. These stores also have the patina of smells and odors that invite you to experience real authentic food.

Livecontent

Old 02-23-2014, 12:00 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

As you have suggested, I also buy my spices at the ethnic markets. I live near Chinese, Vietnamese, Laotian, Korean and Latino Markets and they have a good choice of spices in small packages or in larger sizes when I use more.
Good Advice, if you have to resort to those little glass jars that they sell in the super markets you are paying the most expensive prices for your spices.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:22 PM

24,030 posts, read 10,375,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Great Information. I live near Penzey's and I also think their prices are way out of line. I have found the store staff to be remote, arrogant, unfriendly and lack knowledge of what they are selling. I do not need to go to a fancy store, with little shelves and displays that puts on airs", thinking that spices are only for the tony rich.

As you have suggested, I also buy my spices at the ethnic markets. I live near Chinese, Vietnamese, Laotian, Korean and Latino Markets and they have a good choice of spices in small packages or in larger sizes when I use more. The prices are much cheaper than the branded spices at the the chain groceries. These stores also have the patina of smells and odors that invite you to experience real authentic food.

Livecontent
An I have been a Penzey's customer for years. The call center seems to be staffed by pleasant folks who know their goods. $30/no shipping plus the full size freebie of the month and always a second additional and useful surprise.
If you are lucky enough to live close to everything - I would love to go shopping with you.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:51 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,918,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I agree spices are truly expensive. But, Oildog you should have Fiesta brand (Bolner's) spices available in Houston. H.E.B. and Wal-Mart carry them here. It is a 100+ year old business here in SA! If anyone out there really wants a taste of Texas. Try these Fajita spices, pinto bean spices , Carne guisada spices and so many others. Not cheap but really good stuff!
Bolner Fiesta Spices Fajita Seasoning BBQ Mexican
Their stuff really is good. They even have some salt-free fajita seasoning I use a lot, as well as BBQ Crab seasoning, & a wild game rub. It's readily available, plus it's from Texas!
I don't have a problem buying spices in the grocery store. I also like Morton & Bassett. As far as freshness, just check the date. I'd rather buy stuff in a sealed jar than a big old bulk bin where it's been exposed to air.
Fresh herbs are good, but you need dried herbs for some applications. I like Victoria Taylor's Seasonings, & often find them at TJ Maxx & Marshalls. Their Sicilian blend is my go to italian seasoning in my spaghetti.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
An I have been a Penzey's customer for years. The call center seems to be staffed by pleasant folks who know their goods. $30/no shipping plus the full size freebie of the month and always a second additional and useful surprise.
If you are lucky enough to live close to everything - I would love to go shopping with you.
As you report a positive experience, I am sure you are correct in your assessment for yourself.

I have gone there twice by myself and once with someone else to observe. I should say that that I am disabled and the first time, I went I was using a walker--they treated me with remoteness; were arrogant and not very helpful. I did not disclose that I knew much about these products. Yes, I bought something and it was a frigid experience.

The next time I went, I was a little more mobile because my conditions varies and I used a cane. I was well dressed and again the attitude was cold and distant. I again did not try to show my knowledge.

The third time I went with someone. I was using my cane. I just stood and observed and said nothing. The attitude of the sales people were not very friendly. They helped but in a perfunctory matter. Each and every time, there were different people helping. I know from experience that some service people believe that aloofness in necessary for the need to be exclusive.

Not a very welcoming place and certainly the prices are well out of line for the products and size sold. However, it caters to people who do not need to care about prices. Many times of these type of business exist for the idea that some people have a need to go to sterilized places in perceive safe environment where rent is expensive because of the upscale locations.

Also, these food venues are necessary for some people who have a need to brag that is where they shop so we can all be impressed. If these shops are too common and attract the unwashed masses then it does not satisfy the ego of the select--the unique status of being special. I have seen this often in restaurants and hyped food shops that provide no better products and much more pricey than other common outlets with less of an allure. Businesses know that if prices are too low, then to some buyers it looses the exclusivity even though the higher prices add nothing to the product.

I have taken some people to Asian areas in our city and other places. Some have told me that they have found the area too old with many Asian shoppers with many speaking no English. They perceive the area as dangerous because of old buildings and the fear of others not of their own. Also the odors and smells of the many unfamiliar products annoy them. Certainly many of these will avoid the older, poorer Latino neighborhoods with good shopping. What can I say? That is some people not all. Some people are enthralled by the experience and readily accept differences.

Livecontent

Old 02-23-2014, 03:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,424,888 times
Buy mundane spices at the local dollar store. Buy your rare, exotic spices in bulk online.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:33 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,102,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I agree with you. I have been to many of the Penzey stores and the staff has been more than able to answer my detailed questions. The one time that they could not, they took my name and my number and had someone call me from Milwaukee,

And the Spice House in Chicago and Milwaukee is even better.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:30 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,777,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Buy mundane spices at the local dollar store...
I've never thought of using mundane spices as they would likely produce a rather mundane dish.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
What makes a spice mundane? Frequency of use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink