U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:31 PM

6,630 posts, read 10,303,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I married a nudist, who lived in a clothing-optional community for a time, and well humans eating while nude is just...uh. Not for me.
That reminds me of a great Seinfeld episode, in which Elaine says scathingly "Naked is not a good look for a man."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 PM

24 posts, read 20,447 times
I not nude-ist.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:47 PM

413 posts, read 571,904 times
We lived in London from 2008 to 2009 and it was there that I noticed our table manners. It was there that I found out that as Americans we used our utensils differently. I didn't mind using my utensils the American way while there although a few times I did try to use the British way. But after coming back, I realize how much more appropriate it is to hold my utensils like I saw British people use them. At home, though, I go back to using them as I want.
Also, since I was born and raised in Mexico, using my hands to eat is another form of eating which is perfectly fine.
I think I for me, I just look at my surroundings and go from there on how I use the utensils.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 PM

4,019 posts, read 5,058,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
To some people, speaking in a condescending manner makes them feel important, which to me is a total turnoff. Such behavior is an accurate predictor of character because it isn't easily learned or unlearned but rather speaks to how people were raised.
We have another couple with whom we've been very good friends 30 years. We have always absolutely hated dining out with he and his wife, because he is always so rude to the waitstaff. We had not seen them in a few years, so a couple of weeks ago we went for a weekend visit. We went out to dinner with them, and he hadn't changed a bit. He was condescending and rude, and had a temper tantrum over the food and service. He started out by chewing out the waitress over a problem which happened with the hostess seating us. Every time a member of the waitstaff came to our table, my poor husband would try to be nice and polite, and say "please" and "thank you" while the other guy was being nasty. This guy complained so much that they comped our meal. DH and were completely embarrassed and we still tipped our poor server.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:31 PM

21,630 posts, read 23,830,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I have witnessed this in Spain and Italy but it wasn't in especially public places, and I've spent a lot of time in both countries. Perhaps it's the company you keep...
That's their southern temperament, and at times they tend to be little loud with friends and family, but they very well know how to behave in a public places.
I cannot say that about Americans - especially those on the phone. They are loud and obnoxious, and they do not care that everyone around them can hear their life story. However I noticed that Europeans cut phone talk pretty short, lower their voice when talking, and usually would leave to a more secluded place to continue their conversation. They have a different phone culture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
I really have no idea where you have been to in Europe but short of cold cuts and cheese or maybe olives I never see people eating with their fingers or taking food from a shared plate. Even pizza is eaten with a knife AND fork in Italy.....I have seen people eating directly from a shared plate in an italian restaurant - a 4 * one in NYC ..... and yes they were American. dried meats and hams are supposed to be left outside to cure. I have no idea what a meat / cheese case is ?? is this a refrigerated cabinet ???
I agree!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:55 AM

17,231 posts, read 20,281,759 times
I know we eat differently here, and the european style looks odd to us and vice versa, but that's just a cultural difference.
There are people here, though, who hold their silverware like three year olds, and that is very pathetic.
I know what you mean about servers wanting to swoop in to remove dirty plates. I think they are trying to be attentive, or trying to make more space on the table, but it does kind of make those who have not finished eating feel rushed.
A good server will do whatever you prefer, so you just need to tell him what your wishes are.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 PM

18,260 posts, read 15,722,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ ... You can tell a lot about a person by the way he or she treats the waiter.
This has been my number one weedout factor on first dates, believe it or not...a number one dealbreaker - "Is rude to waitstaff...next!"

Old 02-03-2011, 12:07 PM

22,241 posts, read 13,053,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
If the restaurant had people waiting and no empty tables than I would leave quicker but our average restaurant bill for 2 is usually around $150 so we are 'good customers' and usually leave the 20% tip and more if its deserved....
Yay, Swisswife!!

BTW I have heard some very loud people in restaurants in Europe. Especially in Southen Italy. I think no matter what the country if the background noise is loud (music, whatever) people tend to get loud just so they can hear each other. One table getting loud leads to another table getting loud in my experience.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:07 PM

17,231 posts, read 20,281,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This has been my number one weedout factor on first dates, believe it or not...a number one dealbreaker - "Is rude to waitstaff...next!"
Oh, that's funny, I thought you were going to say the way someone holds their silverware would be a deal breaker. It would be for me. You know how some people grab their fork in their fist, stab their meat, and cut it with the other hand? I hate that.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM

18,260 posts, read 15,722,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Great topic OP! I'm pretty much happy as long as my dinning companions obey the no-cell-phone rule
This is the number one thing that drives me up the wall. Due to my age, the majority of my peers seem to see nothing wrong with camping out on their phones through an entire meal or other social event. Bizarre. Other than having to take an emergency call, there is NO reason to sit on your phone, talking or texting, while socializing with others. It's tacky and lowbrow. Cell phone/texting culture sucks, and I seem to be essentially alone in this opinion, among my same-age peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink