U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which fat base do you normally use for cooking?
Butter 8 16.33%
Lard 2 4.08%
Margarine 0 0%
Olive Oil 28 57.14%
Vegetable Shortening (e.g. Crisco) 6 12.24%
Other 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:42 PM

6,406 posts, read 6,540,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Alton Brown uses leaf lard in his biscuit recipes but I have no idea what that is.
It's high grade lard, rendered from around the kidney area of the pig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Status: "if UNTHAW is a word ..i want to UN-AGE ," (set 1 day ago)

17,265 posts, read 22,321,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
It's high grade lard, rendered from around the kidney area of the pig.
correct..

kidney suet is a much harder fat that protects the kidneys and runs along the tenderloin (shortloin )
alot of folks feed birds this hard suet,

here is an answer i like

Suet is the hard fatty tissue from around the loins and kidneys of beef, sheep, and other grazing animals that is used in cooking. Suet is rendered to make tallow. Lard is rendered fat, which most often comes from the fat of the abdomen. tallow and lard have a texture similar to vegetable shortening. more
grasslandbeef.com

Old 04-28-2014, 07:02 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,591,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Has anyone ever cooked with lard? I didn't know it has less saturated fat than butter and it's higher than monounsaturated fats, it's the second highest source of vitamin D in food, and it's got no trans fats. I might try it. My mom used to use it. Why do you not use it now? I'm finding out that a lot of stuff I thought was bad, isn't. Like butter and whole milk. As long as it's in moderation of course.

Anyway, this article made me think of it.
10 Reasons You Should Be Cooking With Lard
My mom used to use it, too. I don't. I don't eat meat.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,407,589 times
My mother used lard for everything and she died at age 49 due to clogged arteries (heart disease). I wouldn't use lard on a bet as I had enough as a child.

I use olive oil to cook in, but those times are very few as we don't eat fried foods often. I sure don't want to take a chance when there are things I can use which are better for a person. If you talk to a cardiologist about thinking lard is not too bad for your health, he would probably have a heart attack on the spot or at least choke a bit.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:00 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,621,280 times
I think today EVERYTHING is classified as bad for you. You just have to choose which bad thing you want.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:05 AM

11,872 posts, read 7,801,131 times
Lard is good for you because it's natural your body knows how to get rid of it. All that processed fats is harmful because the body doesn't understand it and it fills up your arteries. If you go to a really good bakery especially French they will use lard on everything and the difference is that lard baked goods don't go stale overnight like the ones with vegetable shortenings.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:16 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,671,439 times
My mother used lard a lot. I probably did when first started cooking, but not since.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 PM

553 posts, read 744,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
correct..

kidney suet is a much harder fat that protects the kidneys and runs along the tenderloin (shortloin )
alot of folks feed birds this hard suet,

here is an answer i like

Suet is the hard fatty tissue from around the loins and kidneys of beef, sheep, and other grazing animals that is used in cooking. Suet is rendered to make tallow. Lard is rendered fat, which most often comes from the fat of the abdomen. tallow and lard have a texture similar to vegetable shortening. more
grasslandbeef.com
An excellent answer! Pork suet, also known as "leaf Lard" is considered the finest because it doesn't have a porky flavor, it's silky mouthfeel, and it's higher smoke point 200C (400F)

Old 05-02-2014, 09:20 PM

8,188 posts, read 21,819,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I think today EVERYTHING is classified as bad for you. You just have to choose which bad thing you want.
In terms of "best" to worst, it goes like this:

Natural unsaturated fat (animal) --> fully hydrogenated oil --> partially hydrogenated oil.

A snack cake with partially hydrogenated oil is worse for you than a pie with lard in the crust.

I grew up with lard and I was born in California; kept it in a coffee can. I guess it was a sign of the times, though, as these were the days when my mom would kick me out of the house at 9 am on a Saturday morning, lock the door, and tell me not to come home until 6 pm.

With my 16 years of experience in restaurant kitchens I can tell you that full-fat animal fat is still preferred over oil. Bacon grease, real butter, and tons of salt are one reason why restaurant food and your grandmother's cooking tastes better than your own kitchen creations. I guarantee it.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:08 AM
Status: "if UNTHAW is a word ..i want to UN-AGE ," (set 1 day ago)

17,265 posts, read 22,321,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
In terms of "best" to worst, it goes like this:

Natural unsaturated fat (animal) --> fully hydrogenated oil --> partially hydrogenated oil.

A snack cake with partially hydrogenated oil is worse for you than a pie with lard in the crust.

I grew up with lard and I was born in California; kept it in a coffee can. I guess it was a sign of the times, though, as these were the days when my mom would kick me out of the house at 9 am on a Saturday morning, lock the door, and tell me not to come home until 6 pm.

With my 16 years of experience in restaurant kitchens I can tell you that full-fat animal fat is still preferred over oil. Bacon grease, real butter, and tons of salt are one reason why restaurant food and your grandmother's cooking tastes better than your own kitchen creations. I guarantee it.
good post!!

when the food network channel started to get popular, i found it refreshing, because most of the chef's went for optimum flavor - going against the food nazis of the day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink