Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times

Advertisements

Huge frustration with not being able to find a carafe for an automatic drip coffee pot that doesn't dribble, spill, generally cause wastage, and make a mess.

I have had this happen with a wide range of brands of brewers, at all different price points (including my current Black & Decker). What is wrong with the engineering, when the spout/lip of the carafes cannot be designed and manufactured so that you can pour liquid out, spill-free? It's like the spouts are just too small and shallow to pour without spillage...even if you pour very, very slowly.

I often use my single-serving French press to make coffee, but if I am making a large amount to keep warm and share (like on these snowbound days), I fire up the automatic drip for volume's sake. My French press doesn't have a dribbly spout. But the carafe in my drip machine causes a mess EVERY time I pour it. And even if I pour it over the sink to minimize mess, it still irks me to lose at least a mug of coffee out of every pot down the drain.

Anybody have any products that seem to be immune to this? It's a small thing, but super annoying.

I am not interested in the "brew a cup at a time" machines (if I do that, I have my press already), or percolators, with their often superior spouts, just the 8-12 cup, traditional, basket automatic drip with comparably sized carafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 02:11 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
I agree....no solution here, but I'll help you rant! It's aggravating, and if you don't notice it, the coffee will stain your countertop!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:49 PM

5,511 posts, read 7,104,558 times
We used to have the same problem at work, I would pour my coffee over the garbage pail lol.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:04 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
I have to hold mine at a certain angle when pouring, or it ends up all over the counter. I've become an expert at holding that perfect angle. These are the Melitta replacement carafes for my Bunn machine. The Bunn ones also slobbered. I break at least one carafe a year, sometimes two.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:07 PM

Yeah, even the replacement carafes do it. Why it should be soooooooooo difficult to design one that doesn't, I'll never know.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:10 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
I just bought a replacement yesterday for one that I cracked against a kitchen shelf. This is looking to be at least a two carafe year, maybe three.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:22 PM

719 posts, read 1,552,999 times
Oh my gosh this is so true. I thought I just had bad luck always having coffee pots that drip when you pour. A very worthwhile rant. +1 rep to the OP!! We consumers need to make our voices heard and say NO to drippy carafe's!!!

Old 02-03-2011, 03:53 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
I have an old small Krups coffee maker, it must be over 30 years old, still works like a champ, the carafe does not seem to have this problem.

Just a comment, I doubt you can get the essentially same thing now anyway. But if you can get a German-made Krups carafe, maybe that's your solution?

Old 02-03-2011, 04:03 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,056,556 times
For years we had to pour our coffee over the sink due to the drippy carafe. The old coffee maker died and the only available one with a thermal carafe was a Mr. Coffee at Walmart. Works great and doesn't drip, but we've been pouring coffee over the sink for so long it's now a habit.

They do make a thermal press, but I think it was pricey.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 PM

I do think it's a recent thing. I don't recall this with the coffee pots of my youth (and, yes, I drank coffee as a youth!) My mom says the same thing, and she's a 40-year coffee-drinker (at least).

Boyfriend is super annoyed by the dripping, and is always gonna get me a "better" i.e. more expensive coffeemaker, or so he threatens. But I really don't want him to waste the money. My mom's Cuisinart one does exactly the same thing. So does the KitchenAid one at work. He'd be far more enraged to plunk down the cash and still not solve the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink