Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times

Advertisements

It's a bit of a drive, but we go to the new Aldi's (prices can't be beat); then the Super Wal-Mart (if Aldi's doesn't have what I want); then the G'ant Iggle, if it has meat I want on sale (but mostly so youngest daughter can ogle the stocker she has a crush on); then the Discount Grocery (the "Amish" store) for spices, extracts, seeds, maple syrup, bulk foods (they are REALLY cheap) and their homemade cheese and lunchmeat from their deli - the best I've tasted in this area. Sometimes I get meat from one of the local farmers I know, if they are butchering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 09:36 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
Well, since we have to drive about 70 miles to get to "A" store, we (I) go to Albertsons (least expensive for liquor/wine and the produce is good; then Loew's (prices are very good for some item's, then Safeway for meats/dairy/bakery. And if I HAVE TO maybe maybe Walmart, but not often.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:30 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
We are fortunate that all of our stores are within 3-4 mi. from our home. We go to Sam's for bulk, The Fresh Market/Organic & Free range fruits, vegs., meats. Harris Teeter for extra good sales. Last resort Walmart for canned & packaged goods. When in season Farmer's Market, and just found a to die for new Bakery yesterday.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:10 AM

58 posts, read 87,634 times
yes i do,
Fresh&Easy for the cheap produce and great mark downs, Costco for the bulk, Vons for the remainder!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
No, I walk or take a bus to three or four places.

My other job is inside a Wal-Mart, so it makes it easy to pick up things there. I shop at Aldi's, but they don't always have what I'm looking for. I was looking for bread crumbs yesterday, and couldn't find them at Aldi's so I bought them at another store. Paper products and laundry detergent I buy at a dollar store.

In the generic soda category, Publix and Winn-Dixie have sodas that the other one does not. Winn Dixie has peach, cherry limeade, a Code Red knockoff, and--as I saw the other day--a green apple soda. They do not appear to have a version of Dr. Pepper or a black cherry soda.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:11 PM

16 posts, read 26,945 times
I do my shopping at Kroger and Trader Joe's. I buy most staples at Kroger, but TJ's has a lot of unique, delicious foods that can pretty much only be found there in my area. I make the trek there especially for their chicken burgers and wheat crisps! Nothing at Kroger compares.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzazz View Post
I will admit i do most of my shopping at publix, but when its time for the big shop, i hit the farmers market, a butcher, and then go back to publix for whatever else i dont have!
Yes I do.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:18 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,968 times
I go to Sam's about once a month and buy a car load of stuff. Then I just have to run into the Bi Lo that is less than a mile away to get fresh produce, milk and bread during the month. During warmer weather I also stop at the meat market to get stuff for hubby to put on the grill.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Yep...Costco for some, then Krogers or Sprouts for others. Walmart for boxed/canned items.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
I do my major shopping monthly-ish at Safeway. (I shop online and they deliver, so I'm not going into the store.) I say "monthly-ish" because I watch their sale circulars every 3 weeks or so and when they have a lot of things I want on sale, I order. If I don't want most of their sale items for any particular week, I keep watching over next couple of weeks, and then place my order.

I usually go to Sprouts every 2 weeks on Wednesdays. Wednesday is their "double ad day", where they keep the sales from the preceeding week and also start the new week's sales. I get my meat, fish, produce, dairy fill-ins, bulk items (ie grains) and some grocery items there.

On a very rare occasion I will stop at a different supermarket (ie before Thanksgiving) or at a separate butcher, but that's the exception and not the rule.

There are no real bakeries here as I know them. However, there is a restaurant a couple of towns away that has a bakery counter I like. We eat there once in a while and I usually raid their bakery counter when I'm there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink