Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:52 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,844 times

Advertisements

I have ducks and can tell you their eggs are far better in baking than chicken eggs, but they are not good for plain old eating.
Free range...taste different?? I don't think so, more humane yes.
MBG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 06:01 PM

358 posts, read 916,500 times
I buy eggs that are not only cage free but also are not fed antibiotics and are fed organic feed. Not only are they healthier, but the taste difference is quite apparent. I think they're worth the price difference. I also don't want my money to go to factory farms.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:18 PM

72,414 posts, read 18,200,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
I buy eggs that are not only cage free but also are not fed antibiotics and are fed organic feed. Not only are they healthier, but the taste difference is quite apparent. I think they're worth the price difference. I also don't want my money to go to factory farms.
Where do you shop for eggs?

Old 07-25-2007, 05:33 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
"Cage free eggs? Tastier than conventional eggs? hmmmmm..
From a magazine: reduces air pollutants?
Anyone from the farm?

not only are eggs tastier but also chickens...I remember when chickens were raised outside and left to scratch...man oh man, they were big, yellow and meaty, with a fantastic aroma...and was a Sunday Special meal for us.

Today, chickens do not see the light of day, they live on a conveyor belt they're entire life until they are butchered. They are fed hormones to make they grow faster and butchered at an early age....that is why they are not nearly as big or meaty?

Does anyone else remember, or do you remember the capon?

Today, some places sell free range chickens and I knew a man who raised cattle and fed them nothing but actual grain and allowed them to graze...his cattle were so in demand, he couldn't keep up with the demand and raise enough.

There surely is a difference in tasts...and they are much better for you...though I question, if what I'm buying is really free range, unless I purchase from a farmer.

Both my uncles raised cattle, chickens and we also had fresh milk, pork, bacon, turkeys, duck, rabbit....vegatables and tons of jars of veggies, fruits, tomatoes and relishes, pickles that we put up...

Food then, surely didn't contain all the chemicals it houses now, and to me, therein lies your cancer causing agents.
Food then was much better for you....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-25-2007 at 05:45 AM..

Old 07-25-2007, 11:54 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
I always buy the organic or cage free when we can. Eggs taste better, yolks are yellower, shells are thicker. I am figuring the chickens they come from are healthier.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:48 PM

So I guess the Eggland Eggs have thicker shells

Old 07-26-2007, 06:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Those Omega eggs taste especially eggy to me.
I dunno if cage-free or whatever taste better, but the karma certainly seems beneficial to all.

When I was a student, we lived next door to people who had chickens. We sort of shared a back yard. They said we could take any eggs we wanted.
It was so funny; I had this notion that hens sit neatly on their nests and lay a nice little uniform cluster of eggs every day. But that's not how it was.
These hens were definitely free range, and they laid their eggs in the funniest places. According to what the chickens were eating, the eggs might vary in color. There would be one little bluish egg sitting on the back porch. There would be another greenish one under a shrub.
It was like the Easter Bunny every day.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:25 AM

191 posts, read 712,363 times
My good friend's brother-in-law has a few chickens. Their kids take care of the chickens and sell the eggs for spending money. The chickens roam free and the eggs are out of this world! They make the best scrambled eggs, and don't even get me started on the fabulous egg salad.

It is hard to eat a supermarket egg after you've had a fresh egg IMO.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Those Omega eggs taste especially eggy to me.
I dunno if cage-free or whatever taste better, but the karma certainly seems beneficial to all.

When I was a student, we lived next door to people who had chickens. We sort of shared a back yard. They said we could take any eggs we wanted.
It was so funny; I had this notion that hens sit neatly on their nests and lay a nice little uniform cluster of eggs every day. But that's not how it was.
These hens were definitely free range, and they laid their eggs in the funniest places. According to what the chickens were eating, the eggs might vary in color. There would be one little bluish egg sitting on the back porch. There would be another greenish one under a shrub.
It was like the Easter Bunny every day.
What made the colors like greenish or bluish

Old 07-27-2007, 03:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
What made the colors like greenish or bluish
I don't know!
And they were different sizes, too.
It certainly dispelled my perfect quaint red barn vision of the poultry world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink