Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 AM

38,881 posts, read 22,864,124 times

Advertisements

One of my sisters raises four chickens in her backyard and they produce quite a number of eggs. I've had the eggs from her chickens many times and I prefer them to anything store-bought. The flavor of her chickens' eggs is so much richer and knowing they weren't treated with any hormones or other chemicals is a definite plus. I'll be replenishing my supply this coming Sunday afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 06:37 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
"Cage Free" doesn't actually mean much. The hens can still be 20,000 in a barn, beaks clipped to prevent cannabalism, with no access to the outside. They just aren't confined to laying cages where they can't move. The term has nothing to do with the quality of the eggs.

"Free Range," on the other hand, means the birds have access to the outside at least part of the day. For the best small farm organic growers, that means the hens are feeding outside in grassland, scratching for bugs, etc. That's the source of the best quality eggs.

But buyer beware, there are also some large farms now that advertise their eggs as "free range" and comply with the letter of the law by opening a door in the barn that merely leads to a holding pen outside... no grass, no meal worms, nada but dirt. So be sure to seek out small local farmers for the full experience of what "free range" can mean. If a carton says "free range" and you are in a big box store, just put it down, back away slowly, and leave quietly, because it is an attempted robbery.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:47 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
Probably been said before, but cage free, free range, etc. means nothing. The USDA doesn't really strictly regulate those terms. I always buy organic and preferably from a local farm from a farmer's market. Look in the sunday paper or craigslist as well, you'd be surprised how many people actually have chickens at their own homes that end up getting way more eggs than they expect and therefore start selling them. You can stop by and buy some. But yes, eggs, hell meat and all other food that comes from less abused animals is far, far superior in quality and taste than factory farmed trash. When you abuse animals and raise them in conditions that make them sick, you'll get inferior products.

I have no problem at all shelling out $5.99 for eggs that don't come from sick animals vs. $2.99 for eggs from sick animals. Get them directly from someone that has their own hens and they'll give you a dozen eggs for $2.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:54 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's a difference in smell, definitely. I have a sensitive nose, and the smell of eggs, either raw or cooked without adornment, is kind of icky to me. What's worse is the smell of the bowl after I've poured the beaten eggs into the pan. No matter how much I scour that bowl, it just smells lousy. I usually give it a lemon juice and water soak and rinse AFTER I've washed it, and before I set it out on the rack to dry.

Farm-fresh eggs aren't nearly as pungeant. They still smell - just not as badly.
You are the only other person I've found who has that problem! The smell of eggs - and sometimes, chicken - really puts me off, and the whole kitchen stinks, too. The smell definitely sticks to the dishes. Yuck.

We had Rhode Island Reds when I was a young teen; I don't remember the smell being so bad. Maybe it has something to do with the age of the egg? Anyway, their eggs were delicious, and they had an almost orange yolk.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
Free range eggs means that the chickens are let out of their cages for a minimum of one hour a day, hopefully longer for their sake.

I buy Egglands cage free organic with extra omega's. Cage free means they are free roaming. And with them being organic they're not given any hormones or fed anything synthetic.

Personally I think they taste better. It's like with beef, if you feed a cow hay it's whole life you'll get one flavor of meat, and if you feed it corn you'll get another. Same way with chickens, they are what they eat.
Cage free only means they arent in a teeny cage where they can't move. Cage free birds are usually crammed by the thousands in a large metal building. They still don't see the light of day or get to eat greens and bugs.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:13 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
I buy our eggs from local farms, and can see for myself how the hens live. They live a life of leisure in large pens, and produce the most delicious eggs.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:14 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I can taste the difference. Eggs, meat, and milk taste differently depending on what the animal ate. I buy cage-free, because those birds are eating bugs and scratching around in the dirt like they're supposed to. I DON'T buy vegetarian-fed cage free, because I find it hypocritical and untrue to claim the birds are eating vegetarian if they are cage free. Insects and worms are NOT vegetarian.
That just means that the feed contains no animal by-products. As others mentioned, cage free chickens don't get to go outside and play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink