Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,685,606 times

Advertisements

there are a few locally owned bakeries here, not a lot. They're ok. But frankly, Wegman's is just as good. They bake everything from scratch each day and if you don't get there in time, you're SOL. Their Spinach Parmaggiano Fougasse is the best bread I've had since moving to the States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 12:58 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,263,329 times
We have a farmer's market that has a lady with a booth who makes homemade breads, and while I want to love them, she uses canola oil in lieu of butter, and the taste and texture both suffer.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:29 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,179,214 times
Ooooohhhhh! I so miss "real" bakeries!

After growing up and spending a major portion of my adult life on Long Island (NY), where there seems to be a different bakery at every turn, I live where there are no independent bakeries as I know them and I miss them very much.

We have a couple of "bakeries" here, which make mostly breads and muffins. Most change their offerings daily, ie on Mondays you can get these kinds of muffins & these kinds of breads, so you can't just walk in on any day and ask for a rye bread, sliced. If you're unfamiliar with the offerings of these places, chances are you will not get the bread you wanted when you go in. (Oh, you wanted a bowl-type bread to fill with your spinach dip? Sorry, we only make those on Thursday and they sell out before 10 AM.)

I can find some pastries at AJ's, (which many rave about, but I think their pastries are just "okay" and they're pricey for just "okay"). I can also find my favorite rainbow cookies (and a few other items) at a restaurant that has a decent bakery counter, but is over 20 miles away. Other than that, forget pastries and cakes.

The supermarkets all have bakery departments, but I don't care for anything I've had from any of them.

My thought was that people in the NYC area often got together for "coffee and cake", so stopping at a bakery is something one did frequently. Where I am now of course people get together, but it's almost never for "coffee and cake".

For birthdays I've been buying ice cream cakes - since those are usually good. I sure do miss buying good quality bakery cakes though.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:33 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,369,970 times
Dang it good bakerys we are lacking, and there are just no really good Italian bakerys around.

So what do i do, i bake everyhthing myself, at least try and attempt what my mind tells me i can do. I learn to bake things until i perfect them. But i really miss very much a really good Italian bakery, so much. Tons of them in the E.C. but not out here, so i have to make my own italian pastrys.

And i do enjoy baking fresh and homemade, and hot from the oven. But looking for a really good Italian Bakery, plenty of Italian Restaurants, but no bakerys. Your lucky in the E.C. for you have tons of them.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:15 PM

16 posts, read 26,810 times
I CANNOT STAND grocery store cake. Even Costco cake. Most grocery pies are good, so I'll get those there. My area definitely could use some more independent bakers that actually make decent stuff. We have a lot of independent bakeries, yet most of them are absolutely terrible. When I find one I like, I make it a point to come in often, doing my part to keep them going.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:08 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,137,138 times
Hard to find good bakeries. Sort of a lost art here in the US, outside the big cities or places with "foodie" cultures.

I grew up on european-style baked goods (for pastries and some breads) up in Chicago, usually Polish or German, but havn't really had the equivilant since leaving Chicagoland, with some exceptions.

For example, and this is just breads, most "artisan" breads are based on French or Italian baking styles, but my preference is more central European, which has more of a "rye" base. That type of bread is hard to find.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,130,659 times
I prefer and independent bakery, but I don't have any around here. In a pinch I'll get something from the grocery store one, but it sure isn't the same.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:56 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,543,994 times
Do any of you buy bread from Panera? I just remembered there's a Panera at the intersection where I do most of my grocery shopping.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:51 AM

17,455 posts, read 38,845,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Do any of you buy bread from Panera? I just remembered there's a Panera at the intersection where I do most of my grocery shopping.
I have bought bread and baked goods from Panera. Always found them to be delicious!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:09 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,543,994 times
How are their prices? Maybe they vary by region, but I am on the lookout for something better than store-bought bread (e.g., Oroweat) that doesn't cost $4.50 to $6.50 a loaf, like my Great Harvest bread does. I might like to make bread myself, but I don't have a breadmaker or the time to bake three or four loaves a week. So I buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink