U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 03:12 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times

Advertisements

Tabbouleh, here, too. I love it, it tastes like springtime.

Falafel is awesome, but I've never made it at home, because I rarely fry things at home. I may try an oven recipe, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 03:31 PM

10,116 posts, read 16,713,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Falafel is awesome, but I've never made it at home, because I rarely fry things at home. I may try an oven recipe, though.
Me too. It's a rare treat at home.

I hate the smell frying leaves in the kitchen, not to mention what it leaves on my thighs...

Old 02-05-2011, 03:41 PM

2,407 posts, read 5,150,713 times
Necer even heard of it before.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:43 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,944,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Necer even heard of it before.
Really? It's a Lebanese dish. eta: though very popular throughout the middle east and also Greece

http://chefsnews.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/falafel-3.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-05-2011, 03:46 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Me too. It's a rare treat at home.

I hate the smell frying leaves in the kitchen, not to mention what it leaves on my thighs...
Yep, saving fried treats for dining out seems to be best for all parties involved, in my household.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:12 PM

554 posts, read 1,305,418 times
I love Greek or Middle Eastern cuisine! I crave it all the time. Thank goodness Denver has a lot of good ethnic places to choose from. But it's like an easter egg hunt to find awesome falafel, tzatziki sauce and a perfect gyro. I'm not sure I trust myself enough to make them myself. But I would love to take the challenge. Thanks for the recipes BTW! I'm giving points out and bookmarking those.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:25 PM

2,407 posts, read 5,150,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Really? It's a Lebanese dish. eta: though very popular throughout the middle east and also Greece

They look like hush puppies..sort of.

What do they taste like ???

Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
They look like hush puppies..sort of.

What do they taste like ???
They taste like............

falafel!
Read the recipe George posted, that should give you an idea.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 AM

2,870 posts, read 4,457,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Yeah, me too. When I do fry I tend to throw every possible fry recipe to get the most use out of the oil. It turns into a mixed bag: onion rings, tempura, mozzarella sticks, fish and chips...you name it...

As for falafel, they taste like a meatless meatball. They're really satisfying, pretty much the perfect veg option. The problem making them is they can fall apart, and people have said that comes from using canned chickpeas instead of soaked. I had that problem with a just-add-water boxed mix too.

You can try and shallow fry rather than deep fry them. I ended up doing that with the boxed mix, getting a crust and rolling them around to keep a shape. They ended up flattening on the fried sides so they weren't ideal, but that's OK since they usually end up smashed in the pita anyway.

(In a lot of SoCal 99 cents Only stores there are jars of tahini on the shelves. Just a heads up.)

I'm looking at trying shawarma at home too, but I wonder if I can do the stacked meat in a BBQ grill without rotating it.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Middle-eastern falafel, with tabbouleh..

But try this also:
Make a falafel sub. Cut the grain-balls in half after cooking. Cut a strip off a full pita, so you can open the pita up (sort of a like a deflated football opened on one end) for a sandwich. Smear a spoonful of hummus over the inside of the bottom of the pita. Then, smush those halved falafels down flat over the hummus. Add some *crisp* head lettuce. Add big-diced fresh ripe tomatoes. Drizzle tahini inside the whole thing, serve in a square of tin foil and plenty of napkins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink