U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:25 AM

14,141 posts, read 16,570,902 times

Advertisements

Been shopping lately for pots and pans? It's nearly impossible to find ones with metal lids nowadays. I hate glass and don't understand the cause of this recent culinary phenomenon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 08:37 AM

4,019 posts, read 5,070,631 times
All mine have glass lids. I got rid of all my pans with metal lids about 15 years ago. I like the glass because I can see how things are cooking without lifting the lid. I tend to get a bit distracted while I'm cooking. If the pan is covered I tend to forget to check on it. If the pan has a glass lid, I'm more aware of what's going on, because while doing other things, I will notice that something is, say cooking too hot or not enough.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 AM

18,316 posts, read 17,733,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Been shopping lately for pots and pans? It's nearly impossible to find ones with metal lids nowadays. I hate glass and don't understand the cause of this recent culinary phenomenon.
Ummm...hello? You can see what's going on in the pot. Isn't that obvious?

Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 AM

18,315 posts, read 15,783,903 times
I like mine, but I notice that for things like rice cooking, where you need a tight seal and for steam to not escape, they don't seal all that well. Might just be my pans, though, and not really have anything to do with them being glass-lidded.

My mom had Corningwear pots in the 80s/90s that were ALL glass. It seemed like stuff always stuck and they didn't clean well.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Status: "I'll be with you forever, my dear little Kiwi." (set 14 days ago)

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,593 posts, read 6,473,759 times
Quote:
Seriously, try checking into a Salvation Army store, or thrift stores if you have any in your area. They usual have a bunch of good stuff!
I wouldn't buy any glass cookware either. Dangerous!
Consumer Reports just had an article about all the glass cookware, sometime in the last few months. None of it is safe - and claims made by the manufacters about their safety are quite bogus. Terrible injuries are happening from the glass
shattering/exploding, etc. As a matter of fact, one lady recently bled to death from that happening.
I'm glad that I can still manage to find the electric skillets with the metal lid -
I see more and more glass ones.
I've got to get to my local Salvation Army to look for a potato masher - the good old metal one that does the greatest job!
I don't enjoy trying to see my food through a heavy layer of condensation either.
Good luck finding your pots and pans, and don't give in and settle for that glass!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Ummm...hello? You can see what's going on in the pot. Isn't that obvious?
Ummm....hello? Why do you need to see? I'm an experienced enough cook to know exactly what's going on in there. Besides, lifting the lid once in a while is no great effort. Chefs have been doing it for years. I doubt you'll find glass lids in many professional kitchens.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:08 AM

18,315 posts, read 15,783,903 times
In some cooking (rice cooking comes to mind), you're not supposed to lift the lid. Similar to not opening the oven door while something is cooking, which is one reason that ovens moved from solid doors to having windows.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 AM

17,130 posts, read 12,492,895 times
Cuisinart and AllClad make stainless pots and pans without glass tops. Be prepared to spend some $$ though....

Old 02-05-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Cuisinart and AllClad make stainless pots and pans without glass tops. Be prepared to spend some $$ though....
I have All Clad and will probably just keep on buying it. As to the comment about the rice, it really doesn't make any difference to the end result if you lift the lid before it's done as long as it's not for more than a few seconds. Live dangerously and try it once.

Just out of curiosity, doesn't the condensation on the lid pretty much obscure the view?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:56 AM

4,891 posts, read 12,132,928 times
Quote:
Ummm....hello? Why do you need to see? I'm an experienced enough cook to know exactly what's going on in there. Besides, lifting the lid once in a while is no great effort. Chefs have been doing it for years. I doubt you'll find glass lids in many professional kitchens.
lifting the lid makes the temp on the food go down and may disrupt and or ruin what you are trying to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink