U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,994,469 times

Advertisements

During my College years I worked in a beef packinghouse for several years. Our place was a licensed Kosher facility so a lot of product we handled was sent to major Jewish markets on the East Coast. Some of the items that we shipped to those markets were things like Sweetbreads, Brains,Tongues, Oxtails, Hearts, Livers, Briskets and of course the front quarters. I am not familiar with all the Kosher dietary rules but one thing I always wondered was why is it that the Hind Quarters (cuts like the Loin and Round) are not acceptable for Kosher BUT Oxtails were? After all an Oxtail is on the hind end of the critter not his nose.

BTW one of the Rabbis I worked with offered me a serving of Oxtail Soup that his wife had made for him and it was delicious. The same Rabbi told me in secret the hardest part of being Jewish was not being able to eat Bacon with Eggs. One reason I am glad I was not born Jewish.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 01:13 PM

8,593 posts, read 10,299,700 times
"The "sinew of the thigh-vein that is upon the hollow of the thigh" is likewise biblically prohibited in animals (Genesis 32:33). Both the inner sinew and the outer sinew, and their branches, must be excised. (Note: Most of the forbidden fat and the sinew of the thigh vein are found in the hindquarters of the animal. Since their removal is difficult and must be done by one who is highly qualified, the hindquarters are not used for kosher meat in most Jewish communities, except where meat is not readily obtainable, as in Israel and some European communities.)"

Old 02-09-2011, 08:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,690,780 times
Kosher Meat and Poultry, and especially And You Shall Shecht ...And You shall Eat, may be of some help.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Thanks for those links Walter.
Although I am not Jewish I will buy Kosher if I have a choice. I mentioned in an earlier post that I worked in a Beef Packinghouse during my college years. This was a licensed Kosher facility. In Nebraska we have a very good USDA inspection program, or at least it was when I was working in the business. The Rabbi's inspection adds another layer of safety to Kosher foods. I have NEVER heard of a food safety recall from a licensed Kosher plant. The USDA stamp PLUS the Kosher label is the ultimate if you are concerned about food safety. IMHO.

GL2

Old 02-10-2011, 01:11 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,690,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I have NEVER heard of a food safety recall from a licensed Kosher plant.
Well, at times, as per Kosher Food Alerts and Mislabeled Products, there are food safety recalls for certified kosher products.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Well, at times, as per Kosher Food Alerts and Mislabeled Products, there are food safety recalls for certified kosher products.
I stand corrected. I have heard of it now. Of course I still prefer Kosher IF I have the choice.

GL2

Old 02-11-2011, 02:33 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Quote:
None of those are SAFETY issues. All relate to contamination with non-Kosher ingredients, but none are unsafe from any medical or public health standpoint, including the worms in fish products.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:19 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,164,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
During my College years I worked in a beef packinghouse for several years. Our place was a licensed Kosher facility so a lot of product we handled was sent to major Jewish markets on the East Coast. Some of the items that we shipped to those markets were things like Sweetbreads, Brains,Tongues, Oxtails, Hearts, Livers, Briskets and of course the front quarters. I am not familiar with all the Kosher dietary rules but one thing I always wondered was why is it that the Hind Quarters (cuts like the Loin and Round) are not acceptable for Kosher BUT Oxtails were? After all an Oxtail is on the hind end of the critter not his nose.

BTW one of the Rabbis I worked with offered me a serving of Oxtail Soup that his wife had made for him and it was delicious. The same Rabbi told me in secret the hardest part of being Jewish was not being able to eat Bacon with Eggs. One reason I am glad I was not born Jewish.

GL2
Not every Jew keeps kosher.
According to this link, 21% do. The majority of these people are Orthodox or Conservative sects.

My husband, born and raised Reform Jewish, grew up eating bacon and eggs and still does today.

Kashrut (kosher) evolved in a convoluted manner, and remains complicated today. The rules (no milk and meat together) don't always make sense to outsiders, and the separate kitchen utensils routine looks laborious to me, but some thrive on such rituals.

As stated in the link, some people keep a kosher household, but will eat a bacon cheeseburger out at a restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
None of those are SAFETY issues. All relate to contamination with non-Kosher ingredients, but none are unsafe from any medical or public health standpoint, including the worms in fish products.
Listeria is not considered a health/safety problem?
Walter's link, if you scrolled down, also had a product with listeria.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Walter's link, if you scrolled down, also had a product with listeria.
I didn't scrutinize it carefully. But it was represented as a confirmation of food safety recalls for Kosher products, and I found that most of them did not fit that category.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:47 PM

6,482 posts, read 5,970,423 times
I seem to recall something about cuts that border the cows sciatic nerve are off limits. Anyone know anything about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or