U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:34 PM

3,277 posts, read 7,280,748 times

Advertisements

I know it's a chain and I'm sure it's not new to many but I've never eaten there. How is it? A buddy said it's the best chicken he's ever put in his mouth. I'm a huge Bojangle's fan so I find it hard to believe Popeye's can top that. I'm curious as to how good it is because I've ridden past the place twice since it's opening and both times it was ridiculously slammed. The drive-thru line of cars had doubled back around the building (yes, cars sitting side-by-side due to the fact the end had came back around past the beginning.). There was standing-room only inside and I doubt there was much room to stand. I've never seen anything like it for a fast-food restaurant. Is the chicken that good or is it so crowded just because it's new? Didn't know if I should just wait for it to die down or go ahead and try it when I have a few hours to spare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,837,020 times
Peopel that grew up w/popeyes from VA on North seem to like it. Just like out west KFC rules, and here Bojangles is king. When I lived in NoVa there was no bojangles, and I had to deal with popeyes. It was fine, but I'd never pick it over Bojangles. It's worth trying though. It's that same crispy cajun style as Bojnagles, flavor not as good IMO, though. Not a greasy mess like KFC original either.

Also, it's probably crowded b/c it's nw. When I was in VA when they opened a Sonics they had to have police directing traffic for months. Back in NC I wouldn't be surprised to see one close down. In MHC city I've seen Arby's overran, in Goldsboro Chic-fil-a. Now in Raleigh it's Popeyes.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM

76 posts, read 151,325 times
There is only ONE place that I know of that automatically gives you sweet tea with a combo meal unless you specify otherwise and it ain't Popeyes!!! Bojos all the way!!!!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:50 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,784,998 times
Sorry, but it has nothing on Bojangles! It's just busy b/c it's new and they are rare around here.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM

1,463 posts, read 5,670,098 times
Popeyes is a NATIONAL QSR chain specializing in fried chicken....If I had to rank..

1. Moms chicken and your moms chicken
2. Popeyes
3. Bojangles
4. KFC - is gawd awful...the last time I ate their I threw up....never again..

The chicken is very spicy and juicy and the sides are pretty good especially the cajun rice. Please keep in mind that between all 4 sources, this will help speed up heart disease by one yer per bite.....It's not that big a deal but at the same time they are the best of QSR fried chicken joints...

Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM

114,174 posts, read 54,316,715 times
Church's rules around here as it started here. Kentucky seems to have gone downhill last times we've gotten it. I always thought I didn't or wouldn't like Popeye's maybe because of their sides. But, I was happily surprised last time we ate there.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 PM

12,032 posts, read 28,386,663 times
Raleigh used to have a Popeye's and it closed down. Where is this new one?

Vicki

Old 02-13-2011, 09:14 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,837,020 times
My wife says it's on New Bern ave, but not sure where. She heard someone talking about it yesterday. I wonder if it's close to the downtown end. If so it's kind of funny b/c there is already a Church's, Bojangles, and KFC within spitting distance of each other there.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM

146 posts, read 553,363 times
It's to the left off of New Bern coming from downtown. If you come off of 440, it's to the left. I believe it used to be a Hardees'. It's been open for about a month, I'd say. I went there the first week it opened, on a Friday night after helping my friend move. Drove from Brier Creek on out there just to see what was up. I waited for about 45 minutes in line. I haven't been back just since it's on the other side of town. I'm sure that the powers that be have noticed the brisk business they've been getting, and I'm sure that it won't be long before one is opened up in another location, hopefully more convenient to me.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:27 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,112,434 times
Persoaqnlly I don't think it compares tot eh best but in chian's its the best that I ahve eaten but also varies by regio often and store to store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink