U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
24,822 posts, read 28,734,621 times
Reputation: 11737

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Another co-worker refuses to eat anything that has any pork products in it, including bacon or sausage
Could that be a cultural/religious thing? It is with me (I'm Jewish), and it's pretty bad when people aren't even sensitive to that... I've had co-workers order ONLY pepperoni pizzas, and then they're shocked when I decline. Even if they know I'm Jewish!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,502 posts, read 22,990,975 times
Reputation: 12806
Are the co-workers ordering pizza for the office or for themselves and offering to share? Are they paying for it or are you chipping in? Do you order pizza for the office and, if so, do you include pepperoni ones out of consideration for those who do not share your religious beliefs?

I believe in respecting the religious beliefs of others, but there's too many questions here to make a call on this one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,593 posts, read 22,663,256 times
Reputation: 6090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Me too. Only my choices include ONLY "Take it" or "Leave it."

I ALWAYS tell a potential guest what we are having. They can take it or leave it. My feeling is that if they don't show up, just means I have more for lunch tomorrow. Few picky eaters ever accept my offer for dinner. This week (since Sunday) dinner has been served 4 times in my house. Sunday, we had smoked mozzarella, prosciutto, baked escargot with melted brie, Italian bread, crab dip, and tortilla chips with wine. Monday we had breaded venison chops with fluffy mashed sweet potatoes, Tuesday we had lamb shanks braised in red wine with couscous, Wednesday we had a meatloaf......a really nice blend of ground venison, american bison, and pork served with a brussel sprout/broccoli/cheese casserole. I had a nice mixed drink with each meal....tonight it was a dirty martini, a decent burgundy, and a brandy aperitif. Tomorrow will be steaks. Friday will be a Chinese restaurant in the city. Saturday, it being close to 75 out, I am planning on smoking a goose.

I doubt the typical picky eater would be interested.
When can I come over??
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,443 posts, read 18,007,197 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
When can I come over??
Pick me up on the way?
I have wine!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
11,701 posts, read 9,963,808 times
Reputation: 15012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Could that be a cultural/religious thing? It is with me (I'm Jewish), and it's pretty bad when people aren't even sensitive to that... I've had co-workers order ONLY pepperoni pizzas, and then they're shocked when I decline. Even if they know I'm Jewish!
No, she's African-American, and not Muslim either! She's one of these people with a very sensitive stomach, who oftentimes says: "Ooh! That just didn't agree with me!"

Once in a blue moon, she can't resist an all-beef hot-dog and she suffers the rest of the night!

Last edited by tijlover; 02-16-2011 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: edit
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
24,822 posts, read 28,734,621 times
Reputation: 11737
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Are the co-workers ordering pizza for the office or for themselves and offering to share?
At my old job, the boss would order lunch for our meetings every Friday... it was intended for the whole staff, and usually they were good about getting a variety (or asking for orders ahead of time). But sometimes they'd forget & just get non-Kosher stuff! I never complained, though, even if my boss asked flat-out if I was unhappy. I'd just say "It's okay, I'm not really hungry right now."

Quote:
Are they paying for it or are you chipping in?
The company paid.

Quote:
Do you order pizza for the office and, if so, do you include pepperoni ones out of consideration for those who do not share your religious beliefs?
If I ever order anything for a group, I get a wide variety of options... my own brother prefers pepperoni, so I'm used to getting that stuff. Therefore yes, I have included pepperoni in my own orders - I'm not offended by pork, just prefer not to put it in my own stomach.

But no, I've never ordered food for an office (schools/libraries in my case)... since as I said, it was usually company-paid and/or boss-provided. I do occasionally provide snacks/dinner for my students, but the funds are not from my own pocket. At the school where I used to work, all the kids wanted were hot Cheetos & pepperoni pizza - so that's what I got!! My typical order for a group of 20+ kids is 3-5 pepperoni pizzas & 1-2 cheese, which usually works out perfectly.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-17-2011 at 12:04 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 12:02 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
24,822 posts, read 28,734,621 times
Reputation: 11737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
No, she's African-American, and not Muslim either! She's one of these people with a very sensitive stomach, who oftentimes says: "Ooh! That just didn't agree with me!"

Once in a blue moon, she can't resist an all-beef hot-dog and she suffers the rest of the night!
That's totally me too! I'm not actually that religious, just culturally Jewish - and half of my family eats pork with glee. But I can't even stomach cow beef these days, so I stopped eating it altogether about 5 years ago... I've since lost 60lbs (not just b/c of the no-beef rule), and my stomach is SOOOO much better. I do give in to the occasional Kosher hot dog, though, and like your friend I usually suffer later.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Oxford, England
13,036 posts, read 15,260,795 times
Reputation: 19414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Me too. Only my choices include ONLY "Take it" or "Leave it."

I ALWAYS tell a potential guest what we are having. They can take it or leave it. My feeling is that if they don't show up, just means I have more for lunch tomorrow. Few picky eaters ever accept my offer for dinner. This week (since Sunday) dinner has been served 4 times in my house. Sunday, we had smoked mozzarella, prosciutto, baked escargot with melted brie, Italian bread, crab dip, and tortilla chips with wine. Monday we had breaded venison chops with fluffy mashed sweet potatoes, Tuesday we had lamb shanks braised in red wine with couscous, Wednesday we had a meatloaf......a really nice blend of ground venison, american bison, and pork served with a brussel sprout/broccoli/cheese casserole. I had a nice mixed drink with each meal....tonight it was a dirty martini, a decent burgundy, and a brandy aperitif. Tomorrow will be steaks. Friday will be a Chinese restaurant in the city. Saturday, it being close to 75 out, I am planning on smoking a goose.

I doubt the typical picky eater would be interested.
Can I come over ?!? Please ? I would be devouring all this with great gusto believe me !

I suppose picky eaters are good for one thing, more for us normal eaters !!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 06:16 AM
 
3,993 posts, read 2,336,636 times
Reputation: 4673
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
They make it difficult to cook with variety. It's a hassle.

How I deal with them depends on who it is. In the case of my SO, who I share a home with, it's tricky. In the case of friends who are ultra picky/have self-imposed dietary restrictions that are not easily worked around (vegan and such), I simply don't invite them over for a meal. I socialize with them in other contexts, where this won't be such an issue. I used to worry that I might seem rude for never cooking for them, but I figure it's probably something they're pretty used to.
DH's family and oldest daughter are all vegetarian/vegan/raw food vegan. I always have Christmas dinner at my house - they'll usually relax the rules on that day and won't get upset if they ingest some eggs/dairy. I make plenty of vegetable dishes (in addition to a turkey, for us), and I usually have one or two salads, fresh fruit, and raw vegetable appetizers for the raw food vegans but, again, they don't make an issue about ingesting a little cooked food one day a year. They'll bring their own entree, usually. I can't afford to make a separate menu for everyone, and my vegetarian cooking expertise is a bit lacking.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 AM
 
8,689 posts, read 12,494,590 times
Reputation: 6156
My sons' friends are interesting to feed. I just ask: what do you like to eat? And, if the 20 year old 85 pound gal says Oh I usually just have a salad, I never say are you vegan? Because for some people it is a fashion statement as much as a life choice. So I just say Do you eat cheese . . . fish . . . shellfish . . . eggs, etc. Then if she's not really a hard core vegan I can make a really great salad. If right out of the box she says I'm a vegan, I don't even go there. She is getting a piece of frozen vegan "lasagna" from the health food place next to a spring greens and nuts salad. No dressing. Its called self defense and I always am prepared for that eventuality. But, unless i get a really hard core answer I'm good to go with adapting the plan to a picky eater. No cheese, no problem. The salad will have roasted sweet red peppers instead. No shellfish, ok, I like mushrooms and cheese in the pasta just as well.

Its really quite fun, IMO.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top