U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:56 AM

18,001 posts, read 6,261,556 times
I'd like to slap them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 AM

13,040 posts, read 14,229,401 times
Always an easy choice when it comes to survival and cannibalism though, the most squeamish , the first to go.

I often wonder how quickly hunger would change all those picky eaters ?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:20 AM

8,524 posts, read 3,610,066 times
Personally, and not to offend anyone ~~ I respect all cultural & religious eating/non-eating folks. It also teaches me a little something about their heritage. also folks with sensitive stomachs & vegans ~~ that's their choice. I can live with that.

To me, there's quite a difference in being a "picky" eater and someone that just flat out doesn't like particular foods. I was brought up in the 50's, you eat what's on your plate or go hungry. LOL when you go to someone elses house, you must try a little bit of everything. There are things as an adult that I DO NOT like, but don't fancy myself a "picky" eater. I don't do shrooms!!

I raised my 2 kids to at least try an item. then if they didn't like it ~~ fine. this saying you "don't like" something AND have never tried it doesn't fly with me. Try it ~~ might be surprised and actually like it. Especially my 4 y.o. Gson!

JMHO!!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 AM

2,291 posts, read 3,839,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I do not try to control what other people eat! Why would you want to force someone to eat food they do not like or are not comfortable with?
WHAT are you talking about? Who said force? If you want to converse with me then don't put words in my mouth.

Quote:
I think it is rude to expect someone to eat something they do not want to eat.
You're deflecting and missed the point entirely. If anyone takes the time, money, and effort to make a meal for you and you flat out refuse (especially without trying it)... you are rude in my book or at least a food snob (and I'm obviously not alone here). Excluded are people with allergies of course/religious reasons. I have had people cook me meals that were not prepared well. But guess what, I chocked it down and smiled about it because I'd rather suffer thru a bad meal than offend the cook who tried to please me. That's how I roll.

Quote:
How to deal with people who complain about what others eat?
People who complain about what others refuse to eat are not the issue. If it's a problem to you then start your own thread.

Quote:
Invite them over for some authentic Beijing style street food delicacies and see what happens!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAGB2VJrWxU[/quote]

No thanks. I'll invite picky eaters over - and like I said before - offer them more than one dish to choose from. I always ask what they don't like before I make something of course.

Last edited by mommabear2; 02-17-2011 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 AM

14,135 posts, read 5,476,288 times
I like to have the pickles on my Double Whopper and if they are not there I will go and ask them to put the pickles on it.
Growing up, I never liked the pickles and I took them off, and after doing so I then was stuck with the area that the pickles were in contact with tasting like pickle juice.
Now I want extra pickles. But they have to be those pickles that the fast food restaurants use. I found them in the store and so I bought them. Now when I have a burger at home I put some of those pickles on it and eat it.
Oh, and I like the juice now, too. It is good.
Oh my God, I just went and looked in my refrigerator to see what the name of the pickles is - and there are none in there! I must have ate them all. Now I will buy more. But I call them hamburger pickles.
I don't like the shape of the pickle spears, so I will never try them.
~The End~
............P.S.
.................If you expect me to eat some of the pickle spear at your house I will throw it in your eye.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:57 AM

2,291 posts, read 3,839,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I like to have the pickles on my Double Whopper and if they are not there I will go and ask them to put the pickles on it.
Growing up, I never liked the pickles and I took them off, and after doing so I then was stuck with the area that the pickles were in contact with tasting like pickle juice.
Now I want extra pickles. But they have to be those pickles that the fast food restaurants use. I found them in the store and so I bought them. Now when I have a burger at home I put some of those pickles on it and eat it.
Oh, and I like the juice now, too. It is good.
Oh my God, I just went and looked in my refrigerator to see what the name of the pickles is - and there are none in there! I must have ate them all. Now I will buy more. But I call them hamburger pickles.
I don't like the shape of the pickle spears, so I will never try them.
~The End~
............P.S.
.................If you expect me to eat some of the pickle spear at your house I will throw it in your eye.
Oh my goodness... you just made me laugh so hard I snorted! Too funny. I'd invite you over and have gourmet hamburger pickles just for you.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:04 AM

16,591 posts, read 18,481,414 times
It's not rocket science. I don't eat what I don't eat, so if you serve broccoli or liver, it ain't going on my plate or in my mouth. Especially the liver. I'm pretty sure you don't want me vomiting all over your table.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 AM

16,436 posts, read 13,011,286 times
It seems like people are equating any food preference with "being picky."

If I serve liver (and why would I serve liver in mixed company when it's not a commonly popular food?) and you don't like liver, I'm not going to think "Oh, my god, what a picky person." If it's a cookout where there are multiple options, say, and you can't find anything to eat because you don't eat fried chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, bratwurst, barbecued chicken, salad, cole slaw, mashed potatoes, chips, three bean salad, fruit salad, brownies, apple pie, etc., then, yeah, I find you to be picky. If you can't find ANYthing you can eat from a large selection, you're probably pretty picky. If you don't like ONE thing that's served, not so much.

I'm going to consider you picky if, every time I dine with you, you have a laundry list of conditions regarding what you will and won't eat, specifications for its preparation, and of, say five common options, you can handle any of them.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:39 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,377,582 times
I raised 2 picky kids. We tried everything to get them to eat a variety of things, not much of worked however. They were both skinny little things, and I always worried about them, but I didn't cater to them. Finally my pediatrician told me to quit worrying about them. Make sure they have a good multi vitamin every day, and that if they got hungry enough they would eat. She kept assuring my they would not starve. And she was right. No one starved. No one suffered from some horrible condition starved by malnutrition. And they both grew up to be healthy, happy young men. They started learning to eat more, due to peer pressure. Their weird picky ways became an embarrassment with friends. Now they are much more adventuresome, although one is still a little picky, he can manage to eat most anything in a social situation.

When having guests, I don't worry too much about it. If someone is coming that I know is very picky, I will try to make sure I have something to offer them, but I don't plan menus around them, and I don't go out of my way.

As for the cultural/religious aspect, I have a couple of friends that eat no pork or shellfish due to their faith. Both are 7th Day Adventists. I had no idea they didn't eat pork, and one had been coming to my home for a couple of years for parties or whatever, and I never even realized it. She never said a word. I wondered why she never ate anything that looked like it might have bacon/sausage/ham, but I never realized it was part of her Christian faith. Finally, she invited me, and a few other friends over for a Christmas potluck luncheon. One lady brought a Christmas ham. Only a handful of us ate it, because the other ladies were all from her church. That's when she explained they didn't eat pork. The lady that brought the ham was so embarrassed. It would have been nice, if someone had told us.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 AM

3,953 posts, read 4,577,461 times
Your taste buds change as you age. As a boy I found certain foods, like Swiss cheese or cranberry juice, very painful to eat. The flavors were just too strong. When I tried them later in life I thought they were delicious.

Many people base their food preferences on experiences they had when they were 8 years old. I think everyone should occasionally try and reevaluate foods that they think they don't like. You may be surprised how your tastes have changed.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 02-17-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink