U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 AM

6,523 posts, read 9,381,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Your taste buds change as your age. As a boy I found certain foods, like Swiss cheese or cranberry juice, very painful to eat. The flavors were just too strong. When I tried them later in life I thought they were delicious.

Many people base their food preferences on experiences they had when they were 8 years old. I think everyone should occasionally try and reevaluate foods that they think they don't like. You may be surprised how your tastes have changed.
I agree. I keep trying to like salmon but to no avail! I taste it every year or two. I eat most foods except for fish other than canned tuna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 11:02 AM

15,936 posts, read 20,963,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It's not rocket science. I don't eat what I don't eat, so if you serve broccoli or liver, it ain't going on my plate or in my mouth. Especially the liver. I'm pretty sure you don't want me vomiting all over your table.
I used to threaten that (vomiting if I had to even TASTE something that I might not like or didn't like)! And, strangely enough, it worked! Of course, I was somewhere under the age of five (it worked on my grandmother, and she died when I was five, is how I know).

Interestingly, when eating the things I used to threaten to vomit if I had to taste them, I don't. Wonder why that might be?

For those of you who are the self-declared picky eaters on here, some of you seem to be confusing two things.

There's forcing someone who is a picky eater to eat something (which really is hard to do - I mean, if it's an adult, you're likely going to need two people to hold them down while you stuff food in their mouth).

Then there's declining to plan the menu around their pickiness and maybe thinking they're being a bit childish. (With the usual disclaimer for actual diagnosed by a doctor with appropriate testing food allergies and religious reasons.)

I should note that when throwing a dinner party for a large number of people, some of whom might be vegetarian, I will choose an entree that can be made in a normal and a vegetarian version and make both. I don't have a problem accommodating in that fashion; I do have a problem with picky eaters, which is something else entirely.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 AM

16,591 posts, read 18,455,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I used to threaten that
Believe me, that's no threat. It's a fact.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:07 PM

15,936 posts, read 20,963,833 times
Really? This has happened? What anatomical feature do you have that others don't that makes you throw up if you eat brocolli? Or is it mind over matter (I don't want to eat it so I'm going to MAKE myself throw up and that'll teach 'em and make 'em do what I want)?

Because, short of a doctor-diagnosed allergy, I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with the brocolli itself (which was on my do-not-eat list way back in the day, too), given how many people eat it with relish and no bad effects whatsoever, never mind throwing up.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 PM

14,670 posts, read 12,010,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I've encountered some really picky eaters lately. It makes it hard to make a meal for them because I'm concerned they won't like it. I tend to not cook meals for picky guest but rather just order pizza to save myself the grief.

Maybe the picky eaters I know are bit extreme but how do you deal with these people? I always thought it was rude to refuse food without even taking a bite? Am I wrong?
I sympathize with them because I myself am an extremely picky eater.

However since I AM such a picky eater I usually avoid dinners at other peoples' homes, or I bring several dishes so I will have something that I KNOW I will eat just in case I won't eat anything they are serving.

I also would decline pizza.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:21 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,836,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

For those of you who are the self-declared picky eaters on here, some of you seem to be confusing two things.

There's forcing someone who is a picky eater to eat something (which really is hard to do - I mean, if it's an adult, you're likely going to need two people to hold them down while you stuff food in their mouth).

Then there's declining to plan the menu around their pickiness and maybe thinking they're being a bit childish. (With the usual disclaimer for actual diagnosed by a doctor with appropriate testing food allergies and religious reasons.)

I should note that when throwing a dinner party for a large number of people, some of whom might be vegetarian, I will choose an entree that can be made in a normal and a vegetarian version and make both. I don't have a problem accommodating in that fashion; I do have a problem with picky eaters, which is something else entirely.
Yes, this thread was never intended to talk about how to force anyone to eat anything. I'm not sure where that's coming from.

Dealing with picky eaters is a fact for my life and I imagine that they are common. Knowing how others deal with the challenges that picky eaters can impose isn't an unreasonable question IMO. I've had some pretty bad picky eaters too. I had one (former) friend who literally took a casserole that someone brought her to assist her and her family... and she dumped it in the trash while it was still warm without even taking a bite (sigh). If we dined out together, she always picked the restaurant (and she only liked 3 places, two of them being expensive) because of her preferences, never mind that there were 5 other women involved - she picked it. I even changed the location of the dining establishment on my birthday because it was a sushi restaurant (and she hated fish/seafood) and I didn't want to look at her pinchy face on my birthday. The list of "picky eater" habits go on, and on, and on... it can grate on the most patient among us after a while.

End rant

Last edited by mommabear2; 02-17-2011 at 12:39 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 12:37 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,836,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I sympathize with them because I myself am an extremely picky eater.

However since I AM such a picky eater I usually avoid dinners at other peoples' homes, or I bring several dishes so I will have something that I KNOW I will eat just in case I won't eat anything they are serving.

I also would decline pizza.
What?! No pizza... for shame...
Well your nice enough to consider bringing a dish. That's a good idea and I wouldn't consider that rude if you refused other stuff because at least your trying not to be a pain. Some people have really sensitive pallets, I get that part. I find myself avoiding dinners with picky eaters though that I otherwise like, they're just really intimidating to cook for. I'm afraid they'll throw up, or gag, or give me the involuntary but dreaded "this is disgusting" look.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 24 days ago)

20,127 posts, read 19,880,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What I think of picky eaters depends on whether they are children or not. Children have an excuse.
Not sure about the children. What excuse do they have??? ...

Old 02-17-2011, 12:54 PM

10,592 posts, read 21,383,575 times
My daughter used to threaten she would throw up, when she was a little older then 5 and I told her if she did she would clean it up. That stopped that behavior with her.

As far as salmon goes, I find I love it in sushi, LOVE it in a Teriyaki glaze and of course in tempura. It is a different kind of fish. For the longest time I would only eat plain white fish.

I feel fortunate my daughter has always like fish and will eat a wide variety of it.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:05 PM

23,444 posts, read 15,949,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not sure about the children. What excuse do they have??? ...
They dont have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink