Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,940,943 times

Advertisements

I work with one and I dread going out to lunch with her because I feel like she only encourages food to be spit in! She can't order one thing off of the menu as is...not one thing no matter what type of restaurant - even Cheesecake Factory that has the largest menu ever!! She has to get all her food on a plate, then get three separate plates to then move all the items to their respective spots, dressing must always be on the side, and she takes about 15 minutes to order. If a salad is mixed, then certain lettuce needs to be separated, etc. Just thinking about it is making my blood pressure rise!

I understand dietary restrictions - I can't have a few things, but I know what dishes have those things beforehand, and I make things easy for the server and the cooks. But, being particular and a picky eater is obnoxious and you should frankly stay home. Just kidding, but her excuse is that her parents forced her to eat vegetables, etc. but I just don't buy that her eating habits were caused by that.

Sorry...end of vent. It just really bugs me! Especially because she denies that her behavior is obnoxious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 04:29 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Non picky eaters get invited to my house more often. I enjoy cooking for people who like to eat...and eat what I like to cook

If I invite someone new for dinner I will usually give then 2 choices and ask which they prefer. This way I know they will at least enjoy the main course. Apps, sides and desserts are my choice.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:40 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Non picky eaters get invited to my house more often. I enjoy cooking for people who like to eat...and eat what I like to cook

If I invite someone new for dinner I will usually give then 2 choices and ask which they prefer. This way I know they will at least enjoy the main course. Apps, sides and desserts are my choice.
I like the option of offering two choices and asking what they prefer. And I agree that non-picky eaters get invited more often.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:50 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,993,938 times
I am a very picky eater. And if you think it's difficult cooking for a picky eater, try being one. I always feel it's better to decline dinner invitations than risk offending someone because I don't want to eat their food. I can't get "plain" anything anywhere because, ironically, it's just too difficult apparently.

It's not necessarily a choice. Most foods simply do not taste good to me when they are dressed up and seasoned so well that you can't tell what the base ingredient is by taste.

Do you want to eat foods that don't taste good to you? Probably not.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:55 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I am a very picky eater. And if you think it's difficult cooking for a picky eater, try being one. I always feel it's better to decline dinner invitations than risk offending someone because I don't want to eat their food. I can't get "plain" anything anywhere because, ironically, it's just too difficult apparently.

It's not necessarily a choice. Most foods simply do not taste good to me when they are dressed up and seasoned so well that you can't tell what the base ingredient is by taste.

Do you want to eat foods that don't taste good to you? Probably not.
Well, if you came to my house and wanted a bowl of plain spaghetti with a drizzle of evoo on it, that's what you would get. Mine might have a big old grilled italian sausage on it and some parmesian cheese.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:56 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,314,769 times
I don't like them.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ For me food is not only one of life's great pleasures but also one of life's great arts.
The art of preparing good food.
The art of serving it properly.
The art of enjoying it in the right surroundings
and with the right company.
Couldnt have said it better myself!
It makes me wonder if folks like you described fence themselves in like that in other areas of their lives.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:50 PM

3,241 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post

Maybe the picky eaters I know are bit extreme but how do you deal with these people?
I do not try to control what other people eat! Why would you want to force someone to eat food they do not like or are not comfortable with?

Quote:
I always thought it was rude to refuse food without even taking a bite?
I think it is rude to expect someone to eat something they do not want to eat.

Quote:
Am I wrong?
YES!

How to deal with people who complain about what others eat?

Invite them over for some authentic Beijing style street food delicacies and see what happens!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAGB2VJrWxU

Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,975,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
......If I invite someone new for dinner I will usually give then 2 choices and ask which they prefer.
Me too. Only my choices include ONLY "Take it" or "Leave it."

I ALWAYS tell a potential guest what we are having. They can take it or leave it. My feeling is that if they don't show up, just means I have more for lunch tomorrow. Few picky eaters ever accept my offer for dinner. This week (since Sunday) dinner has been served 4 times in my house. Sunday, we had smoked mozzarella, prosciutto, baked escargot with melted brie, Italian bread, crab dip, and tortilla chips with wine. Monday we had breaded venison chops with fluffy mashed sweet potatoes, Tuesday we had lamb shanks braised in red wine with couscous, Wednesday we had a meatloaf......a really nice blend of ground venison, american bison, and pork served with a brussel sprout/broccoli/cheese casserole. I had a nice mixed drink with each meal....tonight it was a dirty martini, a decent burgundy, and a brandy aperitif. Tomorrow will be steaks. Friday will be a Chinese restaurant in the city. Saturday, it being close to 75 out, I am planning on smoking a goose.

I doubt the typical picky eater would be interested.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:32 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,544,831 times
I do my best not to invite picky eaters to eat at my house. It's such a downer to work really hard on a great meal, hoping to please them, only to have them fuss and reject things. They're just too annoying.

My policy is to make one meal. Take it or leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink